Jack Palgen to Write the Script

Started by Aspie, Jun 17, 2013, 11:43:47 PM

Author
Jack Palgen to Write the Script (Read 53,783 times)

SM

SM

Quote from: SiL on Jun 18, 2013, 02:23:20 AM
Man, let's not drag Dante through this mud while we're at it.

Alighieri started it!!

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 18, 2013, 02:25:37 AM
Interesting that they're going with a guy who, until Transcendence comes out next year, hasn't been attached to a single movie.

More Ridley manipulating the writers? Probably. But there's always the chance that Palgen could be a cool up-and-coming writer with an interesting vision for a sequel. I'll remain cautiously optimistic for the time being.

Had Jon Spaight had anything actually released when he was attached to Prometheus? (Genuine question, I'm not sure)

Nightmare Asylum

According to IMDB, The Darkest Hour was released in 2011.

To echo something that Space Sweeper said in the Blade Runner 2 thread a few weeks back, it seems like Ridley likes to go for guys that he can get a decent amount of control over in order to get his vision on screen. Sometimes that works, but I think Prometheus suffered from it (and from Ridley's 'butts in seats' mentality on the cutting-room floor).

xeno-kaname

Quote from: SM on Jun 18, 2013, 02:14:58 AM
If it's to be a trilogy call it Purgatory.

I like that. Prometheus, Paradise, and when they find out it's not much of a paradise, Purgatory.

Xenomorphine

Fools... Everyone knows he's sitting at home, waiting for the call. Then Fox will hire some new up-and-comer to pen and direct it, rename the project 'Deacons' and repackage it into a completely different genre (romantic comedy, obviously). Ridley will feel miffed he wasn't begged to return, wait thirty more years to return and supervise a new prequel-which-isn't-a-prequel-but-really-is from beyond the grave.

Spoiler
It'll cameo a cloned John Hurt as a character named Chaz Hunter.
[close]

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: SiL on Jun 18, 2013, 02:23:20 AM
Man, let's not drag Dante through this mud while we're at it.
I want to hug you.

King

King

Who do i have the feeling that the sequel will move further away from its sci fi elements and instead become some religious fantasy movie.....in space

[cancerblack]

That does seem likely. I like space fantasy though. And as long as it stays in the realm of fiction, weird religious stuff tends to be a pretty ripping yarn.

Gazz

Gazz

szkoki

szkoki

are u aware guys that most of the sequels are much worse than the first movie? :P

[cancerblack]

And? Many aren't.

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

Quote from: szkoki on Jun 18, 2013, 09:42:51 AM
are u aware guys that most of the sequels are much worse than the first movie? :P

Terminator 2
Aliens
American Pie 2
Die Hard, Die Hard with a vengeance,
Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey
Ghostbusters 2
TDK, TDKR
Superman 2
Spiderman 2
Beverley Hills Cop 2

to name a couple of great ones

bishoop

bishoop

the guy whos doing Trancendence?

im ok with this

Gazz

Gazz

I would be a little gutted if Scott doesn't return but it wouldn't be an end of the world scenario. Comingsoon.net/ The Wrap report negotiations with Scott are currently underway. I imagine it has a lot to do with Scott's availability due to a currently packed schedule (both Exodus and Blade Runner seem pretty ready to go).

T Dog

T Dog

I imagine this writer's work will be rewritten by a more well known name at some point down the line. And we all know how that turned out the first time.

This film needs a more reliable director than Ridley Scott. He just gets lucky with whether each release turns out good/bad and his best film (Blade Runner) only became so after a simple yet major edit to the soundtrack a decade after it was first released.

Scott will always be deeply knotted in his struggle with art and commerce. It seems as though commerce tends to influence the art too heavily each time though. His assembly line approach to making movies in the last years of his life mean that he will never top his earliest works. He then keeps the suits at Fox happy by letting them influence his decisions so that he can have a sustainable outlet for these assembly line pictures.

He should just quit and do his painting full time.
I suspected he was over the hill before Prometheus came out (I hoped he wasn't), but the film was solid proof that he's lost it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed