ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1)

Started by Darwinsgirl, Jun 01, 2013, 03:49:43 AM

Author
ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1) (Read 151,954 times)

SM

SM

It can't be done with Alien without re-writing 90% of the material to varying degrees however.

BountyHunter

That's what I mean by a "Relaunch" though.  Start over from scratch with a new EU.  You can keep some of the old stuff that can be made to fit, and basically ignore everything else.  That's what Star Trek did.

SM

SM

Dunno how it'd work though.  Anything set between Prometheus and Alien runs the risk of being wiped out by future films like what happened with Alien3 and Resurrection.  And the post Resurrection time period is the least popular for fans who want pulse rifles and dropships.  For everything in between where the only contact with Aliens is shwn in the film, there's only so many stories you can tell that can viably avoid 'history'.

Xenomrph

Frankly I wouldn't be bothered if they left things the way they are and just told cool stories.

HuDaFuK

Just pre-ordered this. It was cheap, and I'm interested. It'll be my first foray into expanded universe Alien novels (although I have read the movie novelizations) so I'm looking forward to it.

cloverfan98

I'm really excited for this. Personally I'm hoping it delivers on what I had hopped Prometheus would but failed to do. So this will in no way be connected to the two aliens series before it?

Xenomrph

Which series do you mean?

Corporal Hicks

I assume he means the old comic novels and then the DH Press novels.

I'll be interviewing Tim Lebbon tonight.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 11, 2013, 10:13:08 AMI'll be interviewing Tim Lebbon tonight.
Awesome, look forward to hearing about that.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 11, 2013, 10:13:08 AM
I'll be interviewing Tim Lebbon tonight.

Corporal Hicks

I've sent the interview to get edited but a few points from the chat -

* The first in a trilogy commissioned by Fox.
* Tim is only writing this one.
* Is a "unknown history" of Ripley between Alien and Aliens. Why it isn't mentioned in the other movies is addressed.
* Also includes remnants of Ash's AI.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Hate to critique a story before it is released but damn, I hate all this lets revisit old characters and give them secret histories nonsense that seems to be prevalent in every Alien story nowadays.

SM

SM

Yeah it's not exactly inspiring confidence.

cloverfan98

Intresting cause this sounds awesome to me. Maybe I'm crazy but I like the idea of these novels tying into the films. If they are bad then yeah ignore them and rank them up with the Aliens Earth Hive Trilogy at least in terms of not lining up with the films.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 13, 2013, 06:25:57 AM* Is a "unknown history" of Ripley between Alien and Aliens.
Yeah, hugely disappointed to hear it's about Ripley. That's just lame. There seriously must have been so much else they could've written about between Alien and Aliens, without involving her. I would've been far more interested in hearing about new things than just having the same old characters shoehorned in. As if Aliens: Colonial Marines wasn't retarded enough in resurrecting Hicks.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 13, 2013, 06:25:57 AMWhy it isn't mentioned in the other movies is addressed.
Superman kissed her and erased her memory?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed