User Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1)  (Read 100507 times)

Ultramorph
Feb 03, 2014, 05:21:15 AM
Reply #285 on: Feb 03, 2014, 05:21:15 AM
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I agree. I hope the sequels at least touch on that element. I don't expect it, but I also didn't expect something like that to be included in Out of the Shadows in the first place, so I won't count it out. A very solid start for the trilogy. I also look forward to Moore's interpretation of what the Alien universe looks like in "several hundred years."

HuDaFuK
Feb 05, 2014, 08:32:42 AM
Reply #286 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:32:42 AM
I'm about halfway through. So far I think it's well written, but the plot just isn't doing it for me, and Ripley's presence is really bugging me. There's literally no reason for her to be there, other than to include her name. It doesn't help that the other characters, with the exception of Hoop, are pretty faceless.

lucas.tanton
Feb 05, 2014, 03:23:01 PM
Reply #287 on: Feb 05, 2014, 03:23:01 PM
So has anyone read the new official book "out of the shadows" written by Tim Lebbon yet.  Ive almost finished it and am finding it a great read.  What do you guys all think?  Spoilers ahead.  Im enjoying the new characters and setting.  The book makes it easy to conjurer up vivid accurate images for the imagination.  So much new, never before seen stuff is in the new novel that really expands the universe far more than even Prometheus did.  My only problem with the story so far is that Ripley plays such a big role in it or even that she is in it at all considering she was meant to be floating through the cosmos when this book is set "between alien and aliens."  But what do you guys think?

Kimarhi
Feb 05, 2014, 05:18:11 PM
Reply #288 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:18:11 PM
I didn't like the whole Hoop is looking for monsters thing and then ohmygod they are scary in real life!

Seemed tacky.

Kimarhi
Feb 07, 2014, 01:58:16 AM
Reply #289 on: Feb 07, 2014, 01:58:16 AM
Wasn't that bad compared to some other recent stuff we got.  Wasn't really bothered by Ash so much as I was Ripley.  Ash beaming himself through the cosmos and then randomly taking over the Marion would've been better than bringing Ripley in and then having the convenient mind wipe at the end.  Still I did get a very Alien vibe through most of the story, and I did like how the crew had to put together things like Isaac in dead space to defend themselves and the crew for the most part was memorable enough I didn't have to take a bite of alphabet soup to try and remember who was who.

Personally not buying that the Aliens are weak against other forms of acid, Ripley was written okay but her inclusion is totally pointless, and the who engineered the Aliens or are they are natural debate is raised once again in this EU but probably will never be answered for fear of what Prometheus 2 is going to do.

Not bad but not great either.  Solidly entertaining.  Good enough I'll probably drop the seven bucks on the sequel.  Best Aliens related material since the More than Human comic run a couple of years ago before that series got trashed by the weak attempt at a crossover.

predxeno
Feb 07, 2014, 06:51:55 AM
Reply #291 on: Feb 07, 2014, 06:51:55 AM
Personally not buying that the Aliens are weak against other forms of acid.

To be fair, this weakness was also demonstrated in the AVP2 pc game where the player Alien gets hurt if it touches an industrial acid used to melt the floors to the Artificial Hive locking mechanism control panel.

RakaiThwei
Feb 07, 2014, 07:28:12 AM
Reply #292 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:28:12 AM
To be fair, this weakness was also demonstrated in the AVP2 pc game where the player Alien gets hurt if it touches an industrial acid used to melt the floors to the Artificial Hive locking mechanism control panel.

I could argue that maybe game mechanics.

predxeno
Feb 07, 2014, 07:29:00 AM
Reply #293 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:29:00 AM
I don't follow. :(

RakaiThwei
Feb 07, 2014, 07:38:24 AM
Reply #294 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:38:24 AM

Well we know that Xenomorphs are acid proof, or acid resistant if we take the first AvP movie into account. Their exoskeleton makes them resistant to their own corrosive acid blood which is known to burn through several floors of industrial steel and titanium. I would think that they are acid resistant or acid proof towards many types of acid.

The idea of a Xenomorph being affected by industrial acid might be a game mechanic to make the gameplay more experience. In some games we have Predators affected by electricity when Predator 2 showed us they can withstand lightning strikes which range up to a voltage of one billion volts. That would make it a gameplay mechanic. So would the idea of Aliens being affected by acidic substances in the AvP games. To make it balanced.

Not sure if I got my point across but you know what I mean.

Personally not buying that the Aliens are weak against other forms of acid, Ripley was written okay but her inclusion is totally pointless, and the who engineered the Aliens or are they are natural debate is raised once again in this EU but probably will never be answered for fear of what Prometheus 2 is going to do.

Prometheus 2 aka Paradise is supposed to be further away from Alien in terms of references and maybe plot.. At least that's what Ridley Scott and company say.

predxeno
Feb 07, 2014, 07:40:25 AM
Reply #295 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:40:25 AM
Oh ok, but I don't think it was designed to be a game mechanic; the aforementioned industrial acid only exists in one scene and isn't mentioned ever again in any of the campaigns or even multiplayer.

Xenomrph
Feb 07, 2014, 09:47:40 AM
Reply #296 on: Feb 07, 2014, 09:47:40 AM

Well we know that Xenomorphs are acid proof, or acid resistant if we take the first AvP movie into account. Their exoskeleton makes them resistant to their own corrosive acid blood which is known to burn through several floors of industrial steel and titanium. I would think that they are acid resistant or acid proof towards many types of acid.
You said it yourself - they're resistant to their own acid, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're 100% acid-proof against any and all types of acid.

Kimarhi
Feb 07, 2014, 04:32:35 PM
Reply #297 on: Feb 07, 2014, 04:32:35 PM
I'm no chemist but I don't see how that works.

Darwinsgirl
Feb 07, 2014, 07:06:07 PM
Reply #299 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:06:07 PM
I enjoyed it. Thought it was well written. The nods to the other films stand out...which they always do to the fans.

One of the things that bothered me

* * * * *   5 stars

I'm looking forward to the next installment! ;D

« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2014, 07:10:46 PM by Darwinsgirl »

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube RSS Feed