Do you personally take the expanded universe as canon?

Started by Xenomrph, Apr 30, 2013, 03:08:09 AM

Just like the topic says

Yes, everything, all of it, if it's an official Aliens/Predator product it's canon (even crossovers)
10 (8%)
Yes, but only Aliens/Predator/AvP stuff, no inter-company crossovers
10 (8%)
Yes, but only everything in certain mediums (specifically games, or novelizations, or comics, etc)
5 (4%)
Yes, but only things from certain franchises (Aliens but not Predator, etc)
2 (1.6%)
Yes, but I pick and choose (only *certain* games, novelizations, comics, etc)
35 (28%)
No, EU ain't canon. Movies-only for me.
59 (47.2%)
Yes, but what Fox considers canon.
4 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Author
Do you personally take the expanded universe as canon? (Read 21,470 times)

SM

SM

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 30, 2013, 01:47:16 PM
Quote from: SM on Apr 30, 2013, 04:51:48 AM
Thus exposing the pointlessness of such a poll.  Too many permutations - most of which on the current poll seem to involve comics, books and games.

Whoda thunk?
You didn't answer the earlier question about what options you would have preferred. A simple yes/no poll would have been way too limiting.

Also listing "comics, books, games" in the current poll were just examples, I figured the poll made that pretty clear but I can edit it I guess.

If nothing else the poll is meant to demonstrate that plenty of people take some aspect of the EU as canon, contrary to popular belief.

:laugh:

No, the purpose of poll is to (ironically) portray those who exclude the EU as dicks who don't give a shit about the opinions of others, and have one very narrow vision.  Which has already been proved false.

But you knew that very well before you even created the thing.

Predaker

I voted "movies only for me." The first part about EU is for suckers doesn't apply to my vote. :P

Darth Rinzler

Quote from: predxeno on Apr 30, 2013, 03:18:45 AM
I chose everything except crossovers; they're the general rule of thumb regarding exclusions to canon.

Yeah what Predxeno said.  Now that Bioshock Infinity has come out maybe people will understand how mulitverses work instead of making death threats at me.  Its not like I said anything threatening to them to warent a death threat.  No wander so many Scientists had their head steaked to the town gate back in the day.

SM

"Bioshock"? "Death threats"?

Gilfryd

No.

For me only the theatrical versions of the movies count.

SM

^ And yet another option.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Apr 30, 2013, 06:36:48 PM
"No, EU is for suckers and that shit ain't canon."

::)

...you just couldn't help yourself, could you?
...what's the problem, exactly?

Quote from: SM on Apr 30, 2013, 08:37:35 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 30, 2013, 01:47:16 PM
Quote from: SM on Apr 30, 2013, 04:51:48 AM
Thus exposing the pointlessness of such a poll.  Too many permutations - most of which on the current poll seem to involve comics, books and games.

Whoda thunk?
You didn't answer the earlier question about what options you would have preferred. A simple yes/no poll would have been way too limiting.

Also listing "comics, books, games" in the current poll were just examples, I figured the poll made that pretty clear but I can edit it I guess.

If nothing else the poll is meant to demonstrate that plenty of people take some aspect of the EU as canon, contrary to popular belief.

No, the purpose of poll is to (ironically) portray those who exclude the EU as dicks who don't give a shit about the opinions of others, and have one very narrow vision.  Which has already been proved false.

But you knew that very well before you even created the thing.
No, not really.

Care to offer some actual options for the poll instead of just threadshitting all over the place? There's a pretty distinct difference between criticism and constructive criticism. Care to guess which one you're doing?
If people want to offer polling options, I don't have a problem remaking the poll.

Are people seriously taking issue with the wording of the last poll option? Seriously? It's a light-hearted jab at the EU, and this is coming from someone who likes the EU.

Quote from: SM on Apr 30, 2013, 11:44:50 PM
^ And yet another option.
I'd be hesitant to consider "alternate cuts of the movie" to be "EU", which is what the thread is about, but I guess I could remake the poll with that option...

Edit-- I wouldn't be opposed to remaking the poll in the sense of a general "what do you personally take as canon?" poll, expanded to cover different cuts of the movie, etc.
This really would be easier if the poll would let me set it up to have people vote for more than one option, but the forum doesn't support that.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Xenomrph, don't pretend you're innocent.

You worded all the "Yes" options in a serious and mature manner whereas the only "No" option follows: "No, EU is for suckers and that shit ain't canon."

EDIT: Ok, just noticed that you changed it around a little. Kudos and hats off for you! *thumbs up*

Xenomrph

Seriously, I didn't mean anything by it, that's why I edited it. I'd have made all the options "goofy", but it'd have been hard enough to make it clear what each option meant if I started making them "wacky". The "no" option is pretty straightforward.

SpaceMarines

Only the movies.

By which I mean, only the Alien movies or the Predator movies separately. They don't coexist. AvP is an interesting crossover, nothing more.

SiL

But that's not an option -- if you go by movies, you have to go by all movies.

Ugh.

SM

No endless individually nuanced options for you!!

SiL

"Yes" gets five! Five!

SM

And the No option currently has double the votes...

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on May 01, 2013, 05:44:55 AM
But that's not an option -- if you go by movies, you have to go by all movies.

Ugh.
Because that distinction doesn't matter if we're talking specifically about EU/non-EU, which is what the poll was about.

Quote from: SM on May 01, 2013, 06:00:49 AM
And the No option currently has double the votes...
Still waiting on that constructive criticism...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed