Do you personally take the expanded universe as canon?

Started by Xenomrph, Apr 30, 2013, 03:08:09 AM

Just like the topic says

Yes, everything, all of it, if it's an official Aliens/Predator product it's canon (even crossovers)
10 (8%)
Yes, but only Aliens/Predator/AvP stuff, no inter-company crossovers
10 (8%)
Yes, but only everything in certain mediums (specifically games, or novelizations, or comics, etc)
5 (4%)
Yes, but only things from certain franchises (Aliens but not Predator, etc)
2 (1.6%)
Yes, but I pick and choose (only *certain* games, novelizations, comics, etc)
35 (28%)
No, EU ain't canon. Movies-only for me.
59 (47.2%)
Yes, but what Fox considers canon.
4 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Author
Do you personally take the expanded universe as canon? (Read 21,250 times)

Xenomrph

Just for chuckles, here's a poll. I tried to introduce a bunch of options, I think I covered every possibility. I wish there was a way to allow people to choose more than one option, but the poll options didn't seem to give me that ability. I was going to set it to "Only show the results after someone has voted." but that limits voting to only registered members. Instead I set it to "Show the poll's results to anyone." which allows anyone to vote.

This isn't a canon debate thread, this is an opinion poll and there's no such thing as a wrong opinion. Play nice!

predxeno

I chose everything except crossovers; they're the general rule of thumb regarding exclusions to canon.

SM

Boy with that last option, whoda guessed who made this poll...?

demonbane

No because they are inconsistent throughout each work. In one case, we have Xenomorphs breeding without hosts.
Fox's clumsy stance on stuff is not helping either.
Hell even Lucas film that is pretty strict on Starwars series gets tons of criticism for Midichlorian(Sorry I am not a Starwars fan, but from what I hear.) That stuff divides fans. Many argue that Midichlorian doesn't belong to Starwars.
Fox decided to make comic book canon where Newt and Hick survived. Later, Alien 3 ditched that and Fox accepted.
With A:CM, Fox changed already established story again, not in a good way.
This is the main reason Fox's words are totally meaningless, and those who trust Fox's words are sheep.

ChickenHeart

Sorry, I only consider soft drink commercials as being part of official canon.

StrangeShape

When it comes to Alien, I only take movies, scripts, novelizations and authors comments in interviews as canon

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Apr 30, 2013, 03:22:40 AM
What options would you have liked?

Quote from: StrangeShape on Apr 30, 2013, 04:36:15 AM
When it comes to Alien, I only take movies, scripts, novelizations and authors comments in interviews as canon
By some definitions, everything you listed that isn't "movies" is expanded universe.

SM

Quote from: ChickenHeart on Apr 30, 2013, 03:37:12 AM
Sorry, I only consider soft drink commercials as being part of official canon.

;D

QuoteBy some definitions, everything you listed that isn't "movies" is expanded universe.

Thus exposing the pointlessness of such a poll.  Too many permutations - most of which on the current poll seem to involve comics, books and games.

Whoda thunk?

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 30, 2013, 04:40:00 AM
Quote from: SM on Apr 30, 2013, 03:22:40 AM
What options would you have liked?

Quote from: StrangeShape on Apr 30, 2013, 04:36:15 AM
By some definitions, everything you listed that isn't "movies" is expanded universe.

As SM said, EU is a broad description and many people would differ on opinions about what is EU or what is not. As far as interviews with filmmakers, I hold them dear like a bible since the authors simply explain things that arent or cant be explained in the movies since those movies arent documentaries and theres certain feel, pacing and timing to consider. And hell, they made and created those movies and characters in it, they know.

Novelizations, in my experience, are fairly often written by people chosen by the directors/screenwriters and are written using explanations from the script or directly from the filmmakers. Often the directors read an approve the novelizations. Novelizations are great not only because theyre basically scripts written in novel format, but because they explain things that simply cannot be explained on the film and go into characters' minds. They differ sometimes from movies because theyre written off a script, but backstories, character's motivations and reasoning behind certain moves and situations remain valid

When I think of EU, I think of people who are creating stories without even knowing the authors of the movies and scripts, and without their knowledge. Thats something I cant take as canon, even if its a great story, its still a great fanfic story, but not a canon story. Not in my eyes at least.

The rightholder/buyer cannot dictate whats an actual part of the art piece or not, especially if additions or alterations are done without the artist's knowledge or if he specifically disagrees with them saying the piece is finished or that the addition isnt truthful or right to the vision. Thats of course, just my own personal view and opinion

And its never a black and white situation either

SiL

QuoteNo, EU is for suckers and that shit ain't canon.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Apr 30, 2013, 04:51:48 AM
Thus exposing the pointlessness of such a poll.  Too many permutations - most of which on the current poll seem to involve comics, books and games.

Whoda thunk?
You didn't answer the earlier question about what options you would have preferred. A simple yes/no poll would have been way too limiting.

Also listing "comics, books, games" in the current poll were just examples, I figured the poll made that pretty clear but I can edit it I guess.

If nothing else the poll is meant to demonstrate that plenty of people take some aspect of the EU as canon, contrary to popular belief.

Bjørn Half-hand

Movies only for me and then I personally only count the seperate Aliens and Predator movies, not the AVP movies.

Predaker

I thoroughly enjoyed Alien/Predator/AvP comics, novels, games, etc. growing up but I don't personally consider their events to be canonical to the films.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

"No, EU is for suckers and that shit ain't canon."

::)

...you just couldn't help yourself, could you?

DUB1

HELL NO!!!

Sorry for overreacting, but if there ever was a time for me to strongly react to something, that would be now.

It's not that the whole EU is bad, hell I wouldn't mind Predator: Concrete Jungle (the game) being canonized, but most of the comics are so bad, so awful. They've truly ruined the Aliens' image, thanks to idiotic writers and fans who clearly misinterpreted Aliens's portrayal of the titular creatures.

But barring how bad I consider most of the EU, even if it was all awesomely perfect, I do not take any of it as canon unless it's validated by the movies.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed