Script in the works for PROM Seq

Started by draken161, Feb 27, 2013, 06:59:15 AM

Author
Script in the works for PROM Seq (Read 63,194 times)

Alien³

Alien³

Well we know the facility on LV-223 is at least 2000 years old.

ChrisPachi

Not really eons then.

Alien³

Alien³

Exactly, so the difference between what we see of their race (in Alien to Prometheus) means nothing.

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Mar 07, 2013, 11:41:23 PM
Quote from: SpaceMarines on Mar 07, 2013, 11:24:40 PMBut... there's nothing that contradicts anything, story-wise. Some shit looks a bit different.

True. I guess it depends on how integral the nature of the original ship and its pilot are to your own view of the story. I would argue that they are deeply integral to the original film - Scott didn't have Giger on location making bone sets or have his kids wearing tiny spacesuits because it was cheap or easy - he did those things to communicate certain aspects of the ship and the Jockey, things that he has retconned in his new film. The only argument is whether you are OK with that or not.

I'm not. Sucks for me. ;D

Exactly.

The Prometheus Space Jockey gets scaled down to an embarrassing piss-poor space suit(!) containing a tall-ish bald bloke. Oh, and his genome is identical to modern humans - whatever the f**k thats supposed to mean? 

The 'Alien-Evolution' Blu-Ray cover sleeve tries embarrassingly hard to hide the fact that the Prometheus Space Jockey is a tiny tot joke of a pilot compared to the original ALIEN. Of course, the scale of the Engineer is critical to the 'DNA' story of Prometheus: 'its us, its everything!'. But the irony is that Ridley Scott went to great lengths to portray the Space Jockey as a gargantuan skeleton melded to a machine in order to emphasise its alien-ness.

Ridley Scott said that he wanted to answer the question about 'who is the big guy on the chair?'.
ALIEN fans still await that answer.

ALIEN: The Space Jockey

PROMETHEUS: See that tiny pilot bloke sitting in the chair? - that's the Space Jockey that is!

Highland

Highland

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Mar 08, 2013, 09:24:06 AM
Quote from: Highland on Mar 08, 2013, 05:58:10 AMI'm not sure what's hard to understand about something that's eons old looking different from something that's not.

Understanding requires that you have at least a small clue as to what is going on, which you don't. Unless you can tell me precisely how old the base (and Juggernaut) on LV-223 is then you've got zip to support your argument other than what you have been handed: 'degradation'.

QuoteMy favourite part is that both come from the same guy... :laugh:

Degradation is a bastard.

and you have nothing to support yours....?

Occams razor and all that jazz.

Quote from: Alien³ on Mar 08, 2013, 11:01:04 AM
Well we know the facility on LV-223 is at least 2000 years old.

Well no, it has to be at least 50,000 years old or at least as old as the oldest painting found (which I think was the Scottish one).

EDIT: A quick search shows the Isle of Sky painting at 35020BCE

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Highland on Mar 10, 2013, 02:29:54 AMand you have nothing to support yours....?
My argument is that without any evidence to the contrary they are the same type of ship and the same type of pilot, so discussions about their differences are relevant and (considering that this is a thread about the potential sequel) ripe for exploring. Your argument has been that while they are the same type of ship and the same type of pilot there is an immense amount of time separating them, so discussions about their differences can be easily explained away and are therefore irrelevant.

QuoteOccams razor and all that jazz.

When you've spotted the biggest assumption in this debate come drop another Occam's on me. ;D

DontRelaxJustYetMarines

Quote from: 180924609 on Mar 09, 2013, 11:09:19 PM
Quote from: SpaceMarines on Mar 07, 2013, 11:24:40 PMBut... there's nothing that contradicts anything, story-wise. Some shit looks a bit different.

True. I guess it depends on how integral the nature of the original ship and its pilot are to your own view of the story. I would argue that they are deeply integral to the original film - Scott didn't have Giger on location making bone sets or have his kids wearing tiny spacesuits because it was cheap or easy - he did those things to communicate certain aspects of the ship and the Jockey, things that he has retconned in his new film. The only argument is whether you are OK with that or not.

Exactly.

The Prometheus Space Jockey gets scaled down to an embarrassing piss-poor space suit(!) containing a tall-ish bald bloke. Oh, and his genome is identical to modern humans - whatever the f**k thats supposed to mean? 

The 'Alien-Evolution' Blu-Ray cover sleeve tries embarrassingly hard to hide the fact that the Prometheus Space Jockey is a tiny tot joke of a pilot compared to the original ALIEN. Of course, the scale of the Engineer is critical to the 'DNA' story of Prometheus: 'its us, its everything!'. But the irony is that Ridley Scott went to great lengths to portray the Space Jockey as a gargantuan skeleton melded to a machine in order to emphasise its alien-ness.

Ridley Scott said that he wanted to answer the question about 'who is the big guy on the chair?'.

PROMETHEUS: See that tiny pilot bloke sitting in the chair? - that's the Space Jockey that is!

LOL That's a f**king abomination.  Worst retcon in the history of movies.  And what is those lights at the end of its big telescope/phallus thing?  Old age has seeped into Ridley Scott's brain.  He's just not the same person anymore.

Gazz

Gazz

Quote from: DontRelaxJustYetMarines on Mar 10, 2013, 12:45:07 PM
Quote from: 180924609 on Mar 09, 2013, 11:09:19 PM

Exactly.

And what is those lights at the end of its big telescope/phallus thing?

I thought they had always been there.

Alien³

Alien³

LOL That's a f**king abomination.  Worst retcon in the history of movies.

The Space Jockey wasn't retconned in Prometheus.

Quote from: Highland on Mar 10, 2013, 02:29:54 AM
Well no, it has to be at least 50,000 years old or at least as old as the oldest painting found (which I think was the Scottish one).

The painting yes, but that doesn't explain the age of the facility on LV-223. The only hint we get of that is the body of the Engineer that 2000 years old approx.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Mar 10, 2013, 12:17:56 PM
Quote from: Highland on Mar 10, 2013, 02:29:54 AMand you have nothing to support yours....?
My argument is that without any evidence to the contrary they are the same type of ship and the same type of pilot, so discussions about their differences are relevant and (considering that this is a thread about the potential sequel) ripe for exploring. Your argument has been that while they are the same type of ship and the same type of pilot there is an immense amount of time separating them, so discussions about their differences can be easily explained away and are therefore irrelevant.

Well no, one ship housed eggs, one ship housed jars. It's a newer ship = it looks different?

Let's play devils advocate and both ships looked exactly they same. Are we to assume that the Jockey's f**ked up not once, but twice in the quest to wipe out humans? A bit far fetched even for sci fi mate....?  :D   

QuoteThe painting yes, but that doesn't explain the age of the facility on LV-223. The only hint we get of that is the body of the Engineer that 2000 years old approx.

Dude. Think about what your saying. What is portrayed in the cave paintings???  ??? 

The paintings are pointing at the facility. Or of course it might be just a fluke.....  ??? :P

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: Highland on Mar 10, 2013, 01:51:29 PM
QuoteThe painting yes, but that doesn't explain the age of the facility on LV-223. The only hint we get of that is the body of the Engineer that 2000 years old approx.

Dude. Think about what your saying. What is portrayed in the cave paintings???  ??? 

The paintings are pointing at the facility. Or of course it might be just a fluke.....  ??? :P

The paintings depict them visiting us and pointing the planet system that contains LV-223 I understand. But they also depict the Engineers being nice to us. Who's to say on LV-223 (at that point in history) the facility is even built? In that time anything could have been there. This is all pointless anyway.

DontRelaxJustYetMarines

Quote from: Alien³ on Mar 10, 2013, 01:13:42 PM

That looks like a retcon to me.  Visual proof.  Unless you want to argue that their complex society allows for that. 

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: DontRelaxJustYetMarines on Mar 10, 2013, 02:09:44 PM
Quote from: Alien³ on Mar 10, 2013, 01:13:42 PM

That looks like a retcon to me.  Visual proof.  Unless you want to argue that their complex society allows for that.

Nope, I'll say this...

How do you know that the Space Jockey (seen in Alien) isn't the creator of the Engineers, who based their ships and technology on their creator? The only way the Space Jockey will ever be retconned is if Alien is remade and they change the design of the Space Jockey to look like the Engineer. I don't see that happening.

irn

irn

Quote from: Alien³ on Mar 10, 2013, 02:25:29 PM
The only way the Space Jockey will ever be retconned is if Alien is remade and they change the design of the Space Jockey to look like the Engineer. I don't see that happening.

I agree with you. Another way could be if the derelict and Jockey on LV-426 from Alien is shown in a Prometheus sequel and is changed to look like the LV-223 ones.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: irn on Mar 10, 2013, 02:59:53 PM
Quote from: Alien³ on Mar 10, 2013, 02:25:29 PM
The only way the Space Jockey will ever be retconned is if Alien is remade and they change the design of the Space Jockey to look like the Engineer. I don't see that happening.

I agree with you. Another way could be if the derelict and Jockey on LV-426 from Alien is shown in a Prometheus sequel and is changed to look like the LV-223 ones.

Exactly, which is why I don't understand this whole "ZOMFG Prometheus has ruined the Space Jockey!" business. The Space Jockey is still a mystery, and hopefully, always will be.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed