A: CM vs. AvP 2010

Started by DoomRulz, Feb 13, 2013, 10:37:48 AM

Author
A: CM vs. AvP 2010 (Read 8,236 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

It was bound to happen so I might as well ask. For those of you who are playing A:CM, regardless of whether you like it or not, how does it stack in comparison to the most recent AvP game?

Personally I enjoyed AvP but I don't think I'll be bothering with A:CM given the overwhelming amount of negative reviews coming from both professional outlets and the gamers themselves. So does A:CM make AvP look like a triple A title?

WinterActual

WinterActual

Partially, yes it does, but ACM have some really nice touches. Still if AvP '10 was aiming to be authentic I am sure it would delivered it better in any way. I like AvP '10 for how it represented the xenos in their animations and their look. Or even their movement if we compare it next to ACM' aliens movement. The problem with '10 was that SEGA pushed it for release too early. That's why the game is not what it was supposed to be. GBX on the other hand can't provide any excuse for what they have done with ACM. Whatever they say its invalid. Sorry but for all these years you were supposed to deliver the best game ever made.

scarhunter92

scarhunter92

I enjoyed AvP 2010 quite a good deal, even if it didn't meet the very high expectations. It looked and played like a solid game IMO. The problems were some design choices and the duration of the campaigns. A:CM just seems to be a straight-up terrible game. It looks and plays worse than AvP 2010, not to mention the "shitty fanfic tier" plot.

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

I am enjoying ACM far more than AvP. My biggest contention is I really dislike the Third Person Alien gameplay. I wish they would have let use toggle with an R3 button or so. But, seeing as we're all low level and don't have all the alien powers there must be a reason - I already am starting to understand this playing a lurker and using pounce from a wall.

I am enjoying it - I don't think its spectacular but enjoyable with a chance to get better if they keep up support for it. Also there might be an element (personally) why I like it based on how much I hated AvP3. So the fact I am enjoying this might be accented from my hatred via contrast.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

A:CM is at times unplayable, whereas AvP 2010, despite some balance and level design issues, had a respectable layer of polish.

Aliens in A:CM handle like complete ass, making climbing around and trying to coordinate a solo attack a pain in the ass. In AvP 2010, I never had a problem with the Alien controls and that experience felt unique, deadly, and fair. Some may find the perspective difficult, but it's better than the awful third person of A:CM.

In terms of story, it goes to AvP 2010 easily, with some interesting exchanges, and like AvP 2 before it, didn't have me rolling my eyes at the inclusion of a Predator in the Aliens universe. With more diverse locations and not a simple backtrack session, AvP 3's campaign could have been something special. A:CM's campaign makes me feel like it was made by people who are special.

Graphics goes, again to AvP 2010. While the lighting scheme is frustratingly grated at times, the animations were good enough, and the scripted facial animations were surpringly effective. It didn't take itself too seriously, it didn't push for an absurd canon placement, and it was easy to follow and accept for what it was.

With more polish and attention put into the campaign layouts, online species balance, and gameplay depth, AvP 2010 could have been great, but even what we got was definitively better than the unfinished mess of Colonial Marines.

HappyAlien

HappyAlien

I think i like ACM a bit better because some parts at least feel like an Aliens film will have to have a play of AVP2010 again to compare. Both are pretty average compared to other games i have played though.

Vepariga

Vepariga

I just finished A:CM campiagn and its fun for the most part,some areas look like ass but I let it slide because why the hell not,its not like staring at it will improve the res.

Level design is better in A:CM then AvP2010. Gameplay for Marine is basically the same,altho I do like the motion tracker being assigned to a button. gives it more authenticity. so i'll give it that.

in terms of look,AvP2010 gets it as it looked alot better,more detail and player models didnt look gumby.

Alien gameplay in A:CM is bit...awkard to say the least. you try to grab players and it glitches like a mofo can grab shit.
AvP2010 Alien gameplay is superior.

Story..hmmm....A:CM did have some cool moments. like the queen killing the scientists and so forth. but the story didnt really get interesting until the end and then it..well..ended. ghey. AvP2010 on the other hand had a interesting story from start to finish.

so AvP again.

overall AvP gets my vote.
AvP2010 = 8/10
A:CM = 6/10

I'll still be keen for some A:CM multi though as that is quite fun and challanging.

scarhunter92

scarhunter92

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Feb 13, 2013, 11:49:38 AMA:CM's campaign makes me feel like it was made by people who are special.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Prime113

Prime113

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Feb 13, 2013, 11:49:38 AM
A:CM is at times unplayable, whereas AvP 2010, despite some balance and level design issues, had a respectable layer of polish.

Aliens in A:CM handle like complete ass, making climbing around and trying to coordinate a solo attack a pain in the ass. .

It should be a pain in the ass to attack a group of marines by yourself. I, for one, quickly adapted to the new controls and am actually pretty good at it.

Effectz

Effectz

AvP 2010 looked and played better hand's down.

God,did I just say that?

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I guess at this point it'll be a matter of how long the MP in A:CM keeps people's interest. AvP 2010 had great MP offerings IMO but the fact that the single-player campaign was so lacking led to people losing interest.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I think you posted this in the wrong forum by mistake? AVP is a better game then ACM. The gameplay in AVP is more fresh out and feels more solid. Not to mention the AI was not a broken mess.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Prime113 on Feb 13, 2013, 01:26:32 PM
Quote from: Space Sweeper on Feb 13, 2013, 11:49:38 AM

Aliens in A:CM handle like complete ass, making climbing around and trying to coordinate a solo attack a pain in the ass. .

It should be a pain in the ass to attack a group of marines by yourself. I, for one, quickly adapted to the new controls and am actually pretty good at it.
I meant a single Marine. Unless you're a spitter or have multiple aliens alongside you, you're pretty much shit out of luck in a close quarters battle.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Feb 14, 2013, 12:36:34 AM
I think you posted this in the wrong forum by mistake? AVP is a better game then ACM. The gameplay in AVP is more fresh out and feels more solid. Not to mention the AI was not a broken mess.

Wasn't sure where to post it to begin with. This thread isn't for either game, so Gen Game seemed like a good neutral spot for it.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 14, 2013, 03:20:33 AM
Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Feb 14, 2013, 12:36:34 AM

Wasn't sure where to post it to begin with. This thread isn't for either game, so Gen Game seemed like a good neutral spot for it.

Well, there's the general Alien/Pred games section ;)

On topic, though, I haven't played either, apart from the demo of AVP2010. Can't say either of them are particularly interesting, but at least AVP didn't have the Crusher, Spitter, etc...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed