The Reviews/Interviews Thread

Started by ikarop, Feb 11, 2013, 02:17:39 PM

Author
The Reviews/Interviews Thread (Read 142,608 times)

demonbane

demonbane

Quote from: SPECIAL FORCES on Feb 14, 2013, 09:17:05 PM
I'm sorry to interrupt,just saw it and i wanted to post it...from the EGM review:

''While the action falls a bit short of the blend of first-person shooter and survival-horror I was hoping for, it's all fairly well paced—thanks largely to some excellent level design and solid alien AI.''

http://images.tzaam.com/full/17m.jpg

*sorry if someone else post it too before me.
EGM closed comment section due to too much backlash. There is limit to different taste argument.
Seriously, the same guy gave Halo 4 7/10, but this shit 9/10? The review lacks coherence, substance and honesty.
Using just promotional screenshots and reusing advertisement words instead of his own words.
I wonder why Metacritic counts shitty site like that.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Valaquen on Feb 15, 2013, 04:33:40 AM
"I don't know if you've ever seen the series Battlestar Galactica? The lead writers Bradley Thompson and David Weddle on our fiction crafted - we could make a whole TV series out of the material they crafted for us."
~ Randy Pitchford, oxm.co.uk.

Interesting. I remember that.

The wording makes it seem like they came up with plot elements, rather than a single story for the entire campaign.

Raku

Raku

I'm sorry to interrupt,just saw it and i wanted to post it...from the EGM review:

''While the action falls a bit short of the blend of first-person shooter and survival-horror I was hoping for, it's all fairly well paced—thanks largely to some excellent level design and solid alien AI.''

Yeah, the game has a solid AI alright =P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JBsimDxMRw#ws

I wasn't even looking forward to this game at all (I dislike playing as marines), and I'm disappointed by how it turned out =/

Apex

Apex

Quote from: Raku on Feb 15, 2013, 05:54:26 AM

Yeah, the game has a solid AI alright =P

I wasn't even looking forward to this game at all (I dislike playing as marines), and I'm disappointed by how it turned out =/

I actually like this game, but that was funny.

BOOM! "Dammit!" *sigh*..."I hate the game."   :D

Rolle

Rolle

I think that Angry Joe had too much hype for this game, can´t blame him thou. In all fairness I had my game today on PS3, graphics are not as goos as on PC but acceptable..but if you do watch the earlier gameplay vs the final product, yes you are obliged to get pissed off. Where are  the dynamic lightning effects and the fogginess in some levels? A.I is pretty dumb in the SP but feels pretty much like COD or BF or so on. Multiplayer is awesome! I myself did get that feeling what I did with AvP2 on PC. As a Marine you will die if you don´t coordinate with your team. You will still die even i you do, the multiplayer gets the aliens vs marines more like in the movie. If they don´t get too close you are ok, if they do get close...well you´r as good as dead. Playing as alien does take some time to get used to the controls. Not too long at least in my experience. There are some problems with the wall climbing like missing animation when going sideways from wall to ceiling for example. When you do learn to play with the alien you will feel like a killing machine. I mean, I played couple hours and learned pretty quick the controls. Ownage on noob and single marines all the time. TEAMPLAY PEOPLE! Also the splitscree is done well, yes there are very much screentearing but hopefully patches are on the way. I liked that the splitscreen is horizontal..no wait vertical? My english can get mixed but the looks is widescreen. Some missing animations but nothing game breaking. Thou it seems to be slapped in, no story for the second player etc. Just some nameless grunt.

My final verdict for 1.02 version. SP 6/10 (still) playing splitscreen or online 7/10. MP 8/10. But I must say, if they don´t fix some of the problems in time the LAG for example because no dedicated servers and no host mitigation can get frustrating. Some games I played had only minor lag, some games were unplayable because of the lag. So no patches could make the score go down in my books. Game is enjoyable with friend/s but I can´t justify the whole price for this game, not in this state. If you can get it as rental, try it, if you like it, buy it. Mostlikely some fanraged buyers have already changed the game or are selling it on ebay or something.

Also about the Angry Joe, remeber that he is SERIOUS fanboy against everything including alien. So I think his judgement is clouded by this, also I do realize like I said that the shown product in 2011/2012 doesn´t look anything like the final product. That if he would take the fan glasses off and take the game as it is, I think that it would be 5½ or 6 even to him. Different people, different taste and review.

Dusk

Dusk

This would be a 5-6/10, with all of the bugs, glitches and stupid AI taken care of. Then it would be a below average game. But with everything I've seen, 4/10 just seems fair.

Here's just one example why 4/10 is a valid score.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

What really sucks is that they ended up having such a fun multiplayer. If the campaign were even decent, mediocre with the polish, graphics, and AI we'd expect from Gearbox, there would be droves more people that stuck around to discover the mp.

Uggghhhhh gaaaaaddddddddddddd.

At this point, I would've much rather they made a solely multiplayer game, maybe with a survivor or horde mode for the single player.

By all accounts, that seems to be the best set-up for Aliens outside of some (badly) contrived story. It allows for tense gameplay, plenty of death, and lots of customization and open, dynamic levels.

Elicas

Elicas

Quote from: RagingDragon on Feb 15, 2013, 04:36:10 PM
What really sucks is that they ended up having such a fun multiplayer. If the campaign were even decent, mediocre with the polish, graphics, and AI we'd expect from Gearbox, there would be droves more people that stuck around to discover the mp.

Uggghhhhh gaaaaaddddddddddddd.

At this point, I would've much rather they made a solely multiplayer game, maybe with a survivor or horde mode for the single player.

By all accounts, that seems to be the best set-up for Aliens outside of some (badly) contrived story. It allows for tense gameplay, plenty of death, and lots of customization and open, dynamic levels.

Still finding games easy or they starting to dry up already? Only asking as you commented on wishing more people were sticking around in multiplayer.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Still matchmaking at the same rate, not a long wait at all. But... I'm nervous it will start dropping off.

Still, even after AvP 2010 was "dead," I could hop on almost anytime and find at least 1 or 2 games. It's never totally dead lol.

If it becomes a ghost town, I'll just have to redouble my efforts hounding Galaxy members to play with me. XD I think once more people discover the mp, maybe after the price drops, the game will hopefully get a little boost of additional players.

They just need to get off their stupid ass, apologize for what happened, and commit to fixing what they can ASAP. Stupid bastards don't realize this is the critical time, the cliff edge where the game has pretty much divided people into sp hate/mp love, and we're all waiting on f**king GBX to do something about it.

If we hear nothing by Monday, I'm jumping on the hate train. It would be so easy to just swallow your pride and come out in force to salvage your product. Why would you not do this?

Elicas

Elicas

Quote from: RagingDragon on Feb 15, 2013, 05:16:26 PM
Why would you not do this?

Because they don't really give a shit.

You had the chance to work on your favourite franchise of all time, and instead sub contracted extra studios instead of working on it yourself.

You could have played it straight with your fans and received less hate if you hadn't hyped the shit out of the game.

You could have made the best Alien franchise ever.

Very pertinent question my friend.

VonPelz

VonPelz

Still matchmaking at the same rate, not a long wait at all. But... I'm nervous it will start dropping off.
It already is:
http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=49540&from=1360300819

That drop rate is really something.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: RagingDragon on Feb 15, 2013, 04:36:10 PM

They should have remade Aliens : Online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok6qjL0-3Ic#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3KxC64oE60#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTRjsxkGeBk#

Recreate all the levels, the game-modes, the persistant ranking. It would have been great.

Hell, just take the assets from A:CM, hand them off to another developer, and build a free-to-play online experience. Make a whole bunch of marine and alien skins that you can buy for micro-transaction. Blammo. Everybody wins.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Dat Aliens Online looks ahead of its time.

Another thing I think about while reading these reviews, which isn't mentioned much, is how different people's playing experiences can be regarding the wonky AI.

Since it seems to be almost random, I'm sure some people have playthroughs that are much better than others. Mine hasn't been so bad, actually. A few Alien hang-ups, but on UB mode, the second they close on you, you're either going to go down or just die outright.

Since your partners can die during co-op, the most immersion breaking deal for me is f**king dumbass O'Neal. He runs in the room and draws most of the Aliens out, and is constantly yelling while missing everything. ::)

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

I'm someone who like to provoke gamer failure.
So many AI did not work (including the very first Lurker you encounter).
The best was the queen that made me restart the mission since she got stuck by trying to catch me inside a crate in which I wasn't.
Love the raven teleportation and the crusher miss-comprehensions that sometimes charged at... nothing?
Got also a wide diamond mine of human WY corp doing nothing.
Also in MP Coop I experienced today the retarded alien in the server that screams like in panic in front of you (the room where they are three) and don't do anything. Free to move around and mess with them.

Pathetic, every enemy in the game is so glitchy/buggy/retarded.

XenoGauge

XenoGauge

Have a listen to these two guys discussing/raging over Aliens Colonial Marines, they hate it so badly it's quite simply the funiest 13 minutes I've ever listened to!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef1Ds_BHAGA#ws

I love the bit where they rage on the weapon attachments, then one of the guys says he fell asleep during an in-game cutscene he was so bored. They fully discuss all of the conspiracies too...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed