Started by ikarop, Feb 07, 2013, 03:27:34 PM

Author
Fan Reviews (Read 218,794 times)

unwittytitle

unwittytitle

Quote from: WinterActual on Feb 07, 2013, 06:47:55 PM
Quote from: unwittytitle on Feb 07, 2013, 06:45:35 PM

Interesting, perhaps he posted it in two seperate forums then
I posted ALL the reviews posted so far from nfohumps. I don't know where you got that review from but I don't have anything against the positive reviews. If I see one I'll post it.
Yup thats the same one, top of page 4 is where the review is

WinterActual

WinterActual

You are right, its posted by Foghorn Leghorn. I guess my attention is being held by the emoticon including posts which this post is missing and that's why I missed it  :laugh: One positive review is still something I guess. We will see of the guys will post more detailed reviews.

First Blood

First Blood

Good thing my excitement level for this game is currently sitting at 10% rather than 100% -- beats not having to deal with being let down by this.

Samus007

Samus007

Quote from: WinterActual on Feb 07, 2013, 06:04:47 PM
QuoteAbout 5 missions in and it's very average shooter. Mostly it only has nostalgia going for it...mostly.

At 2nd missions you are introduced to human enemies which unfortunately shows how bland it is. Gun customization is basically cosmetic albeit the ability to change the underbarrel weapon. Who the f**k wants to put a silencer on a pulse rifle...that's just wrong.

All in all,it's worth a play for the nostalgia's sake.

QuoteJust played the first mission and someof the second, unfortunately this game sucks Sad Since I'm also a huge alien fan i really wanted to like it but besides the license there really isn't much to like.

Graphics are barely this gen. So imagine Quake4 from the launch window without the slowdowns but with framerate all over the place (it jumps between 25 and 60, at least thats how it feels). Heavy aliasing, shitty textures, shitty lighting, no mimic in character faces whatsoever. The "cutscenes" are super ugly, i couldn't believe it when i started the game up. Evern the start screen is low res :/.

Gameplay wise this is as generic as you can get. In the first mission alone i had like 10 situations where the npc said, cover me while I'm opening this door. Belive me its really that bad. The scripted events completely pull you out of the game and have never felt this clunky :/. AI is nonexistent just as a storyline, but I'm only like 45-60 Minutes into the game, so i won't bash it for that.

My first contender for biggest letdown 2013 Sad

Oh wonderful  :-[ :-\

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

It's hard to be objective when it comes to reviews. What are shitty textures? Is it a trademarked quality? Is Super Ugly a band?

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: acrediblesource on Feb 07, 2013, 08:07:14 PM
It's hard to be objective when it comes to reviews. What are shitty textures? Is it a trademarked quality? Is Super Ugly a band?

I wouldn't qualify anything posted yet as an actual review, myself.

PVTDukeMorrison

PVTDukeMorrison

I'm waiting for reviews to come in on game websites, and then I'll just go by the most common score  :)

Deathly_rYaN

Deathly_rYaN

My friend got it earlier today, So we both played Co-op. I know there are Movie problems in the game, but you know what. The feel of the marine is quite good. And Because you don't have to worry about Predators at ALL the game keeps the scare factor. It's almost like AvP2 where it had you jump at times

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: First Blood on Feb 07, 2013, 07:40:35 PM
Good thing my excitement level for this game is currently sitting at 10% rather than 100% -- beats not having to deal with being let down by this.

I'm with you dude. I don't really care too much anymore :/ I still talk about it and am excited to play it, but I feel like I know how it's going to go.

I hope I'm surprised, but I'm not surprised by much anymore :D Hopefully the DLC will be creative and bring some new things.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Reactions are worse than I expected. Sadly this shouldn't be a surprise, but it sort of is for me.

szkoki

szkoki

i also read that the game is pretty hard, u can die from 2 xeno attacks on soldier difficulty....so beware of ultimate badass according to this info

still wanna stick with the hardest diff :D

teras

teras

Ok, first impressions from the PS3 version.

After only 45 minutes with the game my feelings are mixed.
The environment so far is good. The graphics overall are definitely last gen.
There is nothing particularly wrong with them and they get the job done but they are not impressive either.
The character models are average. There is no actual facial animation. Only eyes and mouth movement. At least the lip sync is ok.
I like the lighting. The sound is probably the best part of this game. The pulse rifle and the motion tracker sound excellent. The music builds the tension nicely and pays homage to the movie. Searching for xenos with the motion tracker is really good. The beeps and the way they change according to distance and movement is spot on.

My main problem so far is with the Aliens themselves. For a game built around survival against uneven odds the Aliens should have been in the spotlight. They seem too weak and they are not scary. Even their size seems wrong. They are not fearful, imposing, deadly creatures like in the movie. The encounters with them have no weight and at times it feels as if you are shooting balloons that pop. The fact that the guns don't feel like packing a punch adds to that feeling too.

Pessimistic as I sound, the game still has the atmosphere of the movie. In that respect it is as authentic as it gets and if you can forgive its shortcomings I think it's safe to say that you don't need to cancel your pre-orders. It's still early to say but so far I think the game will be a solid 7 for generic fps fans and an 8 for the rest of us.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Damn it. I knew it. We all knew it. :-\ I would've picked extremely well-done Aliens over all of the extra stuff like weapon attachments that look like they were taken straight from a COD game and slapped onto a pulse rifle.

Slaine

Slaine

QuoteDamn it. I knew it. We all knew it.  I would've picked extremely well-done Aliens over all of the extra stuff like weapon attachments that look like they were taken straight from a COD game and slapped onto a pulse rifle.

I hear you. It's no fun if the Aliens themselves are so rubbish. Every gameplay vid i've seen so far have them running around like idiots, easy targets. I am literally fed up with having them as dumb canon fodder and not the intelligent, sneaky, scary lethal killers they used to be.  This game could have been a step above if they nailed the AI. That's what makes the Aliens so cool. They aren't- and shouldn't- ever be as the generic video-game enemies seen here.

It makes me sad to see them literally running towards you as you shoot them straight on, not doing anything and accepting death like morons. So much for the "perfect organism".

Ahh..well, i won't cancel my pre-order, i'll still play this game, but my expectations/reservations have been severely "demoralized", as Hudson would say.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

I thought if they were following the successful Left 4 Dead model so closely that they'd at least take the most impressive part of the entire game: the AI Director.

I thought wrooong :D Sad fact given that you couldn't find a more fitting game to use an intelligent horde-handling program than Aliens...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed