Why no Prometheus games?

Started by HybridNewborn, Jan 25, 2013, 08:50:39 PM

Author
Why no Prometheus games? (Read 2,558 times)

•ONEYE•

•ONEYE•

Everything doesn't need a game associated with it.

CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Quote from: HybridNewborn on Jan 26, 2013, 08:08:44 PM
Quote from: CONKERSBADFURDAY on Jan 26, 2013, 06:51:24 PM
Movie based games are almost always horrid. We don't need any more of them.
I would disagree. There are tons of great movie tie in games. It's just the few bad ones that everyone remembers that give the genre a bad name.
If you look at the entirety of movie based games, there are more bad ones than good ones. They really only exist now for easy achievements and trophies. They generally have lower budgets, a shorter development cycle, less bugtesters, and are made by developers with moderate to shit track records.

I remember some good ones way back in the day on the Genesis/SNES, but I was eight and had no standards.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

I think a Prometheus game doesn't have much potential.

HybridNewborn

HybridNewborn

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jan 27, 2013, 12:37:33 AM

I think it's dependent on what the game is. If it was a straight up adaption, sure. But, for example, the Predators game you play as a Pred on the game preserve planet trying to be the best of his tribe. It features the characters from the film as persons that the predator you play as hunts amongst waves of nameless other humans brought to the planet to be hunted. A Prometheus game needn't be a straight up adaption from Shaw's point of view.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

The only thing I think Prometheus would be good for in a game is an "Amnesia" type thing actually.

CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Quote from: HybridNewborn on Jan 27, 2013, 04:00:55 AM
Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jan 27, 2013, 12:37:33 AM

I think it's dependent on what the game is. If it was a straight up adaption, sure. But, for example, the Predators game you play as a Pred on the game preserve planet trying to be the best of his tribe. It features the characters from the film as persons that the predator you play as hunts amongst waves of nameless other humans brought to the planet to be hunted. A Prometheus game needn't be a straight up adaption from Shaw's point of view.
Predators and Prometheus are very different though. You can easily slap together an action game with some Predators in it and be done, but Prometheus wasn't an action movie. It moved a lot slower, focused more on questions and mystery than anything else, and only had all of three evil aliens really.

Unless you decided to completely f**k with whatever canon the movie has, you really can't realistically make something worth playing.

HybridNewborn

HybridNewborn

I fully believe that it is possible to make a fun game that is faithful to the film without messing with the canon established therein. A game designer that can't come up with a fun game design to spec isn't a good game designer.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 25, 2013, 10:39:39 PM
*cough*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARW3nXLCZ1c#

*cough cough*

Oh, well...there's the point and click game.

/thread.

CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Quote from: HybridNewborn on Jan 28, 2013, 02:54:26 AM
I fully believe that it is possible to make a fun game that is faithful to the film without messing with the canon established therein. A game designer that can't come up with a fun game design to spec isn't a good game designer.
I think the best that could be done would be a point and click adventure, which actually could be pretty awesome.

That financially wouldn't be worth the time to make though.

HybridNewborn

HybridNewborn

Quote from: CONKERSBADFURDAY on Feb 02, 2013, 06:32:21 PM
Quote from: HybridNewborn on Jan 28, 2013, 02:54:26 AM
I think the best that could be done would be a point and click adventure, which actually could be pretty awesome.

I think a Dead Space style game would work pretty well.

QuoteThat financially wouldn't be worth the time to make though.

Most games aren't financially worth the time these days. But that's more a problem with the industry as a whole than whether or not the game sells well. A game could sell amazingly well and still not break even because of the way game financing works these days.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Why is there a thread about this?

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: Cal427eb on Feb 03, 2013, 07:48:56 AM

Same reason there was a thread about a THE DARK KNIGHT (2008) video game that never happened.

HybridNewborn

HybridNewborn

Quote from: Cal427eb on Feb 03, 2013, 07:48:56 AM
Why is there a thread about anything?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed