Why no Prometheus games?

Started by HybridNewborn, Jan 25, 2013, 08:50:39 PM

Author
Why no Prometheus games? (Read 2,556 times)

HybridNewborn

HybridNewborn

Pretty much every film in the franchise has some sort of tie-in game, except for Prometheus. I was wondering if there was a particular reason that nothing, not even a mobile title was forthcoming.

I understand that A:CM will be riffing off of Prometheus a bit for the Derelict sections of the game, but that hardly counts, really.

unwittytitle

unwittytitle

Probably because it only came out last year and it takes a while for games to get developed.  Or maybe it has something to do with the fact that is it was such a horrid movie no game developers won't to spoil their good name by attaching thenselves to the film an any way, shape, or form.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Consider that Alien Resurrection came out in 1997, but the Playstation game didn't see shelves until 2000. And that was back then. Games nowadays take a lot longer to develop.

Though i do think there is some potential in a Prometheus game, I don't think it's likely to happen, either.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Prometheus had nothing that would transfer well into a typical game you would see nowadays. The only way to have it translate well into video game format would be to make into a point-and-click adventure game.

OpenMaw

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 25, 2013, 09:31:22 PM
Consider that Alien Resurrection came out in 1997, but the Playstation game didn't see shelves until 2000. And that was back then. Games nowadays take a lot longer to develop.

The reason ALIEN-Resurrection the game took so long was because its original PSone incarnation got shelved.

Argonaut games had completed a third-person shoot-em up Tomb Raider-style clone as far back as 1998 had posted screenshots and a video demo.

I used to have a preview on VHS which would've opened a few people's eyes.  :o

At the last minute they pulled the game and re-coded it as a FPS.

Open maw that game mod looks better than the finished Prometheus movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8bOH_gojXU#

Looks like half life 2.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Jan 26, 2013, 01:52:15 AM
The reason ALIEN-Resurrection the game took so long was because its original PSone incarnation got shelved.

Argonaut games had completed a third-person shoot-em up Tomb Raider-style clone as far back as 1998 had posted screenshots and a video demo.

I used to have a preview on VHS which would've opened a few people's eyes.  :o

At the last minute they pulled the game and re-coded it as a FPS.

Yep! The original tagline for the game was "Participate in the Resurrection." There are even quite a few screenshots of the old version floating around on places like Alien Legend and Unseen64. Nevertheless, it shows that it can take quite awhile to get a game shipshape and out there.

Lie

Lie

Can you imagine the Prometheus game ::), if it was interactive you'd just end up fixing all the plot holes.

HybridNewborn

HybridNewborn

considering that AvP, Requiem, and Predators all saw tie-in mobile games that came out at the same time as the films, the "takes longer to develop" excuse really doesn't hold water. Especially since I'm a game dev myself and know that overlong development times are bullshit anyway :P

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: HybridNewborn on Jan 26, 2013, 03:31:37 AM
considering that AvP, Requiem, and Predators all saw tie-in mobile games that came out at the same time as the films, the "takes longer to develop" excuse really doesn't hold water. Especially since I'm a game dev myself and know that overlong development times are bullshit anyway :P

Oh, what games have you put out?

There's a big difference between a mobile tie-in game on a phone or mobile device, versus an actual full on game for PC/Console. "A year out from the movies original release." Is hardly "overlong." Most games of that scope take years.

HybridNewborn

HybridNewborn

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 26, 2013, 03:46:20 AM
Oh, what games have you put out?
I went to DigiPen for 6 years, worked on some facebook games that no longer exist, and more recently worked on the built-in windows 8 games like Adera & Solitair. I also have friends at Bungie, 343, Valve, Nintendo, Microsoft, Gas Powered Games, and Vigil, among others. My wife is also a DigiPen grad and has worked at a handful of different game companies herself. Suffice to say, I am familiar with the development life cycle.

QuoteThere's a big difference between a mobile tie-in game on a phone or mobile device, versus an actual full on game for PC/Console. "A year out from the movies original release." Is hardly "overlong." Most games of that scope take years.
Quality games can be built in as little as 9 months, depending on how much middleware you're using. Torchlight is an excellent example of a game that had a 9 month dev cycle made by a seasoned team that knew what they were doing.

And console game development is actually more steamlined than mobile development, because of the standardized and unchanging specifications. PC development is actually the worst because it's the most unstandardized of the three platform categories.

Tie-in games typically go into development long before the films come out. I was on a team that was doing a bid to do a tie-in game for the recent Ice Age: Continental Drift film. We got to see a rough cut of the film and gave our pitch about a year before the film even came out. My wife works for a company that does, among other things, tie-ins for television shows. She gets to see overviews and materials for shows long before the season airs.

TLDR; A Prometheus tie-in game would have begun development, regardless of platform, at least a year before the film debuted.

Terx2

Terx2

Quote from: ShadowPred on Jan 25, 2013, 10:02:56 PM
Prometheus had nothing that would transfer well into a typical game you would see nowadays. The only way to have it translate well into video game format would be to make into a point-and-click adventure game.

I've already thought of a tag line for it. "Play as Daid 8 and point and click.... EVERYTHING!!!!!" :laugh:

HybridNewborn

HybridNewborn

I actually think a good game setup would be a Dead-Space style over the shoulder of Shaw making her way through the other pyramids looking for the ship she eventually takes off on at the end of the film during her sign-off. You could have her salvage some weaponry from lifeboat and Prometheus wreckage, and fight off black goo creations and maybe even the Xenos that chestbursted out of all the dead Engineers laying around.

CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Movie based games are almost always horrid. We don't need any more of them.

HybridNewborn

HybridNewborn

Quote from: CONKERSBADFURDAY on Jan 26, 2013, 06:51:24 PM
Movie based games are almost always horrid. We don't need any more of them.
I would disagree. There are tons of great movie tie in games. It's just the few bad ones that everyone remembers that give the genre a bad name.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed