User Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Film Project...  (Read 15626 times)

DerelictShip
Nov 10, 2015, 06:31:13 PM
Reply #120 on: Nov 10, 2015, 06:31:13 PM
Q
That is nice! I think they need to clean up the mouth a little bit though. The lips look to flat and nice , it needs to be more viscous and menacing

Xenomorphine
Nov 10, 2015, 06:50:01 PM
Reply #121 on: Nov 10, 2015, 06:50:01 PM
Q
This is really nice. I think this works pretty damn well.

Certainly a lot better than my original tests! It was never designed to show this much detail, but I'm glad I've got it to do so.

That is nice! I think they need to clean up the mouth a little bit though. The lips look to flat and nice , it needs to be more viscous and menacing

Agreed - there are a number of things I'd like to be different about it. It has a flat head, for one thing - would be nice to have that blade-like 'mohawk' effect along the top. Would also like the dorsal tubes to be shorter! I can try to use lighting and shadows to hide any deficiencies, though.

Sadly, I'm not a modeller and can't do anything about that. Right now, this is the best one available (the team which made this one is working on an HD Alien and a Nostromo-like set, which could be very useful). I'd love to be able to use the model from the last AVP game, but it would need someone to rig it for articulation. Wouldn't be able to pose it.

Swidhelm was updating his free model, but I haven't heard anything back about that... The previews looked good. If it becomes available, I'll use it! At least his older model lets me have an option for making it into a smooth-headed version (I prefer ridge-headed ones, but it's always nice to have the choice).

Some more experimentation with costumes:

Not sure I'll necessarily use that one, but it's a demonstration of the level of detail I'm aiming for.

Xenomorphine
Nov 16, 2015, 01:59:25 AM
Reply #122 on: Nov 16, 2015, 01:59:25 AM
Q
Hah! I've just realised this very same model must have been used to make the covers of the 'Sea Of Sorrows' and 'River Of Pain' books! Same feet and flat head!

Not rendered using Iray, but it's the same model for certain. :)

Xenomorphine
Aug 30, 2016, 03:20:33 AM
Reply #123 on: Aug 30, 2016, 03:20:33 AM
Q
Hey, kitten fans! Some updates...

The whole changing-to-rendering-with-Iray thing has really taken a toll on the workload for this project (oh, for the ease and simplicity of the days when I mostly planned to do this with miniatures and filters), but the results have been visually very pleasing.

One of the main problems with this is that the virtual environments/props not designed for Iray rendering can look a little jarring, in terms of texture quality, when a character is shown using one in direct cocnjunction against something which is. It's like... Filming something in glorious HD, then splicing it with footage you've filmed with a non-HD camera. You can do it with some creative use of angles, lighting and shadows, but it's not recommended. So, for fairly obvious reasons, this has led to a lot of shifting around of story elements and such.

On the brighter side, there are some solutions which have just come up for this. Some new products which will be of enormous help, together with a completely rebolutionary way of creating entire landscapes, which is what I've become particularly happy about! This even allows for volumetric atmospheric haze, which, uh... It basically means that stuff can look dusty when it's shown far away. :) it sounds relatively trivial, but it's hugely beneficial for creating an illusion of realism.

Shall try to post some non-Alien Iray stuff, so that the rest of you can see what I mean about the more realistic lighting. Some terrain, too, when I obtain that tool in a few days or so.

Xenomorphine
Oct 20, 2016, 03:10:51 AM
Reply #124 on: Oct 20, 2016, 03:10:51 AM
Q
Decided to include an Alien, after all. :)

No post-work in Photoshop or additional lighting. This was purely a test to demonstrate whether or not my technique for rendering the Alien model in Iray is satisfactory, so the pose and position were only done very quickly. This shows the kind of lighting which can be achieved with Iray using only emissive surfaces.

In the actual project, I'd be using additional lighting and probably adding things like some slight atmospheric haze to it.

Click on the actual picture to zoom in for the full detail, such as metallic reflections.

http://sentinalysis.deviantart.com/art/Alien-Nostromo-Corridor-Test-641095740

« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2016, 03:13:09 AM by Xenomorphine »

SiL
Oct 20, 2016, 04:10:11 AM
Reply #125 on: Oct 20, 2016, 04:10:11 AM
Q
Man-spreading Aliens attack! ;D

Looking good!

Corporal Hicks
Oct 20, 2016, 08:35:31 AM
Reply #126 on: Oct 20, 2016, 08:35:31 AM
Q
It's looking good, Xenomorphine. Great to see work is progressing!

Xenomorphine
Oct 20, 2016, 03:02:40 PM
Reply #127 on: Oct 20, 2016, 03:02:40 PM
Q
Indeed! Stuff like haze, smoke and additional lighting should make it look a lot better (along with a human figure, which will probably make it take a lot longer, because of hair), but I just wanted to know how long a basic test would take.

Now I can slap an 'SIL SEAL OF APPROVAL' on the credits when this is done. ;D

« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2016, 01:40:26 AM by Xenomorphine »

AhabPredator
Jan 29, 2019, 04:57:57 PM
Reply #128 on: Jan 29, 2019, 04:57:57 PM
Q
This is some promising work!

« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2019, 04:59:54 PM by AhabPredator »

Facebook Twitter Instagram Steam RSS Feed