Aliens: Colonial Marines TV Commercial

Started by ikarop, Jan 14, 2013, 07:17:13 PM

Author
Aliens: Colonial Marines TV Commercial (Read 49,939 times)

WinterActual

Its better to be prepared and nothing happens rather than thinking that nothing will happen and it actually happens.

Bjørn Half-hand

The Runner

How about a Necromorph apocalypse?

Cal427eb

Quote from: WinterActual on Jan 15, 2013, 09:01:10 PM
Its better to be prepared and nothing happens rather than thinking that nothing will happen and it actually happens.
Better to not be prepared when nothing happens then be prepared when nothing happens.

szkoki

szkoki

more likely u'll die in a car accident or by the hand of a drunk guy or by aids or by a terrorist or by the hubble falling on u or by a space jockey's black goo

how do u prepare for these? it would be much more helpful info for us :P

not mentioning the endless sex rape to death by noomi rapace and natalie portman together <- consider this as a priority in this threat list pls!

acrediblesource

What the hell is going on in at 02:00 seconds? It looks ingame, and pretty damn spooky if you ask me.

The Runner

Look like aliens

Cal427eb

Quote from: acrediblesource on Jan 16, 2013, 12:15:44 AM
What the hell is going on in at 02:00 seconds? It looks ingame, and pretty damn spooky if you ask me.

Lightning aliens?  :laugh:

SM

SM

Nice lighting.

ShadowPred

New Xenos perhaps? Looks f**king freaky.

acrediblesource

THEY JUST STAND THERE LOOKING FREAKY! THe middle one looks like he's dancing!

Cal427eb

Quote from: acrediblesource on Jan 16, 2013, 12:45:09 AM
THEY JUST STAND THERE LOOKING FREAKY! THe middle one looks like he's dancing!
He's just trying to get down to funky town.  8)

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 15, 2013, 11:27:16 AM
I'm 100% sure that's for gameplay purposes. It's sort of like saying that the Special Infected in Left 4 Dead make the game no longer an "authentic" zombie game. It's sort of not seeing the forest for the trees.

It's not the same thing. You're comparing genres, whereas this is comparing specific products from within a single franchise.

You can create completely different films which happen to involve extremely differing portrayals of vampires. They'd both be 'vampire movies', but the only time those differences need to be reconciled is if they're set in the same continuity (or, obviously, if they're claiming they're based on real legends, in which case you're able to quibble over whether it took artistic licence with whatever historical evidence they're supposedly based on).

Here, we're talking about something set in the same continuity. Like Hicks, SM and others have said, it may well turn out to be a really satisfying gaming experience, but they've kind of dug themselves into a hole by almost constantly reinforcing the whole it's-a-true-sequel-and-everyone-must-acknowledge-it-as-such thing. By doing that, they shifted the focus from whether it'll simply be any fun, to needing to compare it against the standards of a cinematic classic.

If it wasn't for that, the only thing we'd be comparing with the series it's set in would be the atmosphere - and that's difficult to judge outside of choreographed advertising.

I'm open to it being entertaining. I do, however, feel safe in saying that pre-emptively declaring it to be 100% official canon was a mistake.

Xenomrph

Quotethe only time those differences need to be reconciled is if they're set in the same continuity (or, obviously, if they're claiming they're based on real legends, in which case you're able to quibble over whether it took artistic licence with whatever historical evidence they're supposedly based on).
So? Literally every movie after 'Alien' (up to and including 'Prometheus') have differences and have introduced new elements or retconned things assumed to be true in the prior movies, and people have gotten over it. What makes this game a special case where introducing new things is suddenly forbidden?

QuoteI do, however, feel safe in saying that pre-emptively declaring it to be 100% official canon was a mistake.
Why? Does it really matter?

I still think my Left 4 Dead example is plenty applicable, and for reasons The Runner demonstrated on prior pages. To take a movie example, it's like people who complained that '28 Days Later' wasn't a "zombie" movie strictly because the movie didn't actually feature the dead coming back to life, and because the "zombies" run. Despite the movie following all the conventions of a typical "zombie apocalypse" movie. It's hardly an isolated case, too - Stephen King's book 'Cell' doesn't feature the undead, but the book is still a "zombie" book and is even dedicated to George Romero. Likewise, John Carpenter's original 'Assault on Precinct 13' is a zombie siege movie, but doesn't feature any conventional George Romero zombies.

All 4 Alien movies are radically different from each other in tone, style, and execution, but (most) people still consider them to be legitimate Alien stories. Colonial Marines doesn't appear to be straying terribly far from the 'Aliens' mold other than dialing everything up to 11 (more Marines, more military hardware, more Aliens) and certainly isn't any different from the other movies than they are compared to each other. They just happen to be tossing in some Alien enemy varieties because it's still a videogame, and frankly I find that completely forgivable.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 16, 2013, 02:33:56 AM
So? Literally every movie after 'Alien' (up to and including 'Prometheus') have differences and have introduced new elements or retconned things assumed to be true in the prior movies, and people have gotten over it. What makes this game a special case where introducing new things is suddenly forbidden?

Because the people behind this are the ones who are making such a big deal out of needing to explain the magical Sulaco eggs - which is all well and fine. But to do so and then immediately introduce just-as-perplexing things which also wouldn't make terribly much sense, makes an instant mockery of that very mindset.

Like I've said before, I'm open to being pleasantly surprised. I'm just not seeing anything which gives me much hope for that.

QuoteWhy? Does it really matter?

It doesn't.

QuoteI still think my Left 4 Dead example is plenty applicable, and for reasons The Runner demonstrated on prior pages. To take a movie example, it's like people who complained that '28 Days Later' wasn't a "zombie" movie strictly because the movie didn't actually feature the dead coming back to life, and because the "zombies" run. Despite the movie following all the conventions of a typical "zombie apocalypse" movie. It's hardly an isolated case, too - Stephen King's book 'Cell' doesn't feature the undead, but the book is still a "zombie" book and is even dedicated to George Romero. Likewise, John Carpenter's original 'Assault on Precinct 13' is a zombie siege movie, but doesn't feature any conventional George Romero zombies.

But like I said, the analogy fails precisely because none of those properties are sequels/prequels to one another. They're not set in the same continuity. Just using the same generic plot device. You can compare the sharks from 'Jaws' to the ones in 'Deep Blue Sea', but that's all it'll ever be; a speculative comparison. The process of comparing them doesn't carry any weight.

The moment one is meant to be set in the other's continuity, then comparisons become much more valid.

QuoteAll 4 Alien movies are radically different from each other in tone, style, and execution, but (most) people still consider them to be legitimate Alien stories. Colonial Marines doesn't appear to be straying terribly far from the 'Aliens' mold other than dialing everything up to 11 (more Marines, more military hardware, more Aliens) and certainly isn't any different from the other movies than they are compared to each other. They just happen to be tossing in some Alien enemy varieties because it's still a videogame, and frankly I find that completely forgivable.

But that's the crux of the matter. If they'd just said, "Hey, we're making a game, have fun with it!" Nobody would care. But they repeatedly went over that line, in the same way as those behind 'Requiem' repeatedly went over the line from saying, "Hey, we're making a movie, have fun," to constant references of how it was going to be 'gritty' and totally, 100% non-canon breaking, whatsoever. Only for the central plank of it to revolve around the hyper-bizarre Predalien shenanigans.

The moment you make a boast like that, you actively invite criticism over your claim to be 100% canonical, because you, as the person in all those interviews you're pumping out, are the one who's making such a big deal over it.

Will the game be fun? Maybe. Who knows?

Will the game fit in with continuity? Maybe we'll get plausible explanations for all the new Alien types, how there's a new Queen, how above-ground colony facilities survived in the remarkable state they did and so on, but the signs aren't looking good... Especially in light of:

Spoiler
Hicks surviving, which has to be one of the most perplexing things, so far.
[close]

Remember all the debates before the last of the AVP games got released to us, about how/how 'Number Six' was meant to be more intelligent than the others? Where the facehuggers were meant to come from, every time it held a victim down for one? Turns out, the game never bothered to give explanations for any of those things. They were purely for aesthetic reasons and that was, literally, as deep as the thought process went.

I hope it will be fun. I hope that it will give lots of people happiness. I just have severe reservations about the claims that everyone will accept it as the 'true' sequel - which, in itself, is mildly offensive, to be honest. I'm no great fan of 'Alien 3', but remarks like that unnecessarily devalue the hard work which went into making it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed