Trying to remove/replace main menu "music"

Started by EdFishy, Nov 16, 2012, 01:00:19 AM

Author
Trying to remove/replace main menu "music" (Read 2,030 times)

EdFishy

Followed the steps on "How to Mod AVP" here: http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=34432.0 with no problem exporting the contents of the .asr, but I can't seem to find a way to get the exported contents back into a .en or .asr correctly.

I'm trying to replace the background "noise" in the main menu with something more palatable and less annoying during LAN games.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

MoonerSK

the problem can be in several things. you may wrongly create the .en file or your sound files are in wrong format. i don't think someone can help you whitout knowing where is the problem.

EdFishy

EdFishy

I think where I'm receiving the difficulties is in Step 2 in How to Mod AVP, in that the "TEMPORARY_FILE" never appears.

That file is essential for Step 6, where you assemble the chunks into a .en / .asr, and since I'm trying to replace .wav's in the "SteamingSounds.asr", I'd need to re-assemble the .asr.

Thanks for the quick response MoonerSK!

STEP 2
Quote2. Exporting the game resources

• Run the program QuickBMS.exe.
  • Select the BMS script (asura.bms).
  • Pick the input files to extract from your target Asura file ( *.asr, *.pc or *.en). For eg: Multiplayer.asr, StreamingSounds.asr, A04_Colony.pc.
  • Enter in the output folder and press 'Save'. The program will start exporting the files to the specified folder now.
After the process has been completed, QuickBMS will ask you to keep or delete a TEMPORARY_ FILE. Do not delete it.

STEP 6
6. Extracting the chunk

• Open the Asura Engine Extractor.
  • Click on "Open File" (All files *.*) and open TEMPORARY_FILE* you previously saved.
  • A list will appear, find the file you want to mod there ( for e.g. /graphics/characters/predator newpredhead_col_1024x1024.dds) and click on Export Chunk.
  • This will save a  BLOCK.XXXX.bin file in a new folder, the path where your new file is located is noted on the extractor's UI.

Now you have the chunk of information, which you will need to import your custom files back into the game.

Note: If you have clicked on Export Chunk and the new folder with your .bin file doesn't appear, just rename the TEMPORARY_FILE file to something different, and click on Export Chunk again.

*If you are extracting data from an .en file, note you can open it directly using the Asura Engine Extractor. No TEMPORARY_FILE is needed in this case.

STEP 7
7. Importing the files back into the engine

Now you need an Asura template file to import your edited files back in the game. You can use any uncompressed ones. It just needs to include at least one editable chunk in it. Either Beams.asr, Fonts.asr or some other will do the trick. We will use Beams.asr since it contains just one editable chunk and it makes it easier to share the file online.

• Open the following file: /Steam\steamapps\common\aliens vs predator/Graphics\beam.asr with the Asura Engine Extractor.
  • Select the /Graphics/beams.dds line from the list and click on Import Chunk.
  • Browse for the BLOCK.XXX.bin file you previously saved. Load it. Now the line should have been replaced with the name of the file you want to modify.
  • Click on Load from File (Materials). Browse for the .dds texture or .wav file you created and click on Open.
  • Click on Save As. Accept and name your file XXX.en, for eg: Avpgalaxy.en. Click Save. You are done.

ikarop

I remember something about this but it has been a while. Send me the converted .wav file and SteamingSounds.asr I'll see what I can do.

EdFishy

StreamingSounds.asr is over 1 gig, and is located in the ..\Steam\steamapps\common\aliens vs predator\Sounds folder.  I'd rather not have to upload that large of a file if it's at all possible, but if you no longer have AVP I can upload it for ya.

A sample .wav file is included in the Microsoft SkyDrive link below:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=4C67EAA474C14959!112&authkey=!ALrh2Ngqcj3jUgQ

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed