Alien: Engineers - Leaked Jon Spaihts' draft

Started by antovolk, Nov 11, 2012, 01:28:31 PM

Author
Alien: Engineers - Leaked Jon Spaihts' draft (Read 59,009 times)

antovolk

http://www.scribd.com/doc/112142280/Alien-Engineers

Seems legit. How this was found:

People on Prometheus-Movie.com were chasing up the leads from that http://blog.seespotbite.com/ guy who posted about reading Spaihts script. Then yesterday, one guy got that scribd link in an email, after SeeSpotBite posted their "review" of Lindelof's first draft (that Lindelof sent himself?) Anyway, consensus at the moment is that the script is real, loads of connotations with that SeeSpotBite post and Furious Gods doc. Also, Spaihts tweeted a few days ago that he has been told it leaked somewhere but he couldn't find it, and he didn't seem to pissed off at the prospect of the leak.

Wow - just read it. Its well written and reads as legit to me based on all the known background info.

Spaihts story opens with the Engineers performing a human 'upgrade' in 12,000BC via scarabs (that dissolve a sacrificial Engineer) and inject human victims with the DNA upgrade.

The story setup at the start is a bit more convincing and shows that Watts (Shaw) and Holloway were a bit more clued up about the Engineers and an apparent correlation of human evolution that is 'assisted' every eleven hundred years.

Loved the giant stone obelisk under the Med Sea showing the star map (was that what the water tank in Spain was being lined up for?)

Also liked the light beacons emitting out of the pyramids at the end on LV426

The Juggernaut in Spaihts story is loaded with Alien eggs and IS a cargo of super-predators created to destroy humans a-la Noah's flood.

Worryingly, Spaihts does include a joking reference to Space Jesus!

antovolk

Quote from: 180924609 on Nov 11, 2012, 01:57:15 PM
(was that what the water tank in Spain was being lined up for?)

That was lined up for the eventually cut scene from Lindelof's script with David in Weyland's dream on this yacht and Young Weyland (hence why they hired Guy Pearce)

LarsVader

Quote from: antovolk on Nov 11, 2012, 02:01:14 PM
Quote from: 180924609 on Nov 11, 2012, 01:57:15 PM
(was that what the water tank in Spain was being lined up for?)

That was lined up for the eventually cut scene from Lindelof's script with David in Weyland's dream on this yacht and Young Weyland (hence why they hired Guy Pearce)
Agreed, but there also was some talk back then of someone from construction who said that there's a pyramid being build down there.

Zenzucht

Studios tolerate when produced script appears on the internet.. Maybe its appearance on the BD set was more a question of dealing with WGA, than rights to the material.

antovolk

Quote from: Zenzucht on Nov 11, 2012, 03:16:44 PM
Studios tolerate when produced script appears on the internet.. Maybe its appearance on the BD set was more a question of dealing with WGA, than rights to the material.

Probably, Spaihts/Lindelof were both enthusiastic for their scripts to appear on the BD, but alas...no.

MrSpaceJockey

Skimmed through it. Seems okay, I guess.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

In many, many ways it's a gorgeous script.  Has the same stripped-down, brutally elegant prose of Spaihts' other work and the same sumptuous visuals and ideas.  I've always liked his work and I've always said so, and I do like this a lot - as just an Alien prequel.  But at the same time, compared to the film, I see the same issues I took with it when it was first synopsized for us - too many derivative alien concepts, just more and more xenomorphs, and a David who is too nefarious and less fascinatingly ambiguous.  Also, too little of the Vickers we came to know.  What's more, there seem to be twice the amount of nameless redshirts.  It wasn't his fault, per se; Spaihts was asked to deliver an Alien prequel and the script is certainly that, ticking the boxes - aliens, hunt on the ship, etc etc.  But compared to how far they went off the rez with it I prefer where it went later on.

The core ideas, of course - Shaw, the expedition, David, the Engineers - power the final film we got, but I think they were significantly streamlined and improved upon in a lot of ways over time.  I do wish they'd kept the Engineer launching 'invisible missiles' from his suit or whatever.  There's a lot of gorgeous stuff I'd like to have seen, like Weyland on Mars, or the talking Fifield ("you").

The crash sequence is also amazing - the ship coming apart into free-standing sections and Shaw/Watts struggling to escape from a falling command module reminds me way, way too disturbingly much of what has long been the projected fate of the crew of the doomed USS Challenger.  And though I'm happy with that scene in the film, in terms of sheer horror maybe it's sick but I wish we'd been able to see that sequence as in the script.  I also loved David endlessly nagging Watts in the shuttle at the end.

Gazz

Gazz

Still reading but the scene where Watt's confronts David leading up to her impregnation is pure hilarity. It's like David's a bad Bond villain, dealing out minutes of exposition whilst toying with the protagonist when he should just see his plan through. He plucks the facehugger off her and dangles it in front of her whilst monologuing! Oh the horror!  ;D I also think the idea of David being disappointed by his makers was better explored in the final film. And whereas Prometheus left a bit too much in the way of mystery, this version of the script doesn't seem to hold any.

I'm somewhat glad we went in the direction we did with Prometheus but still feel a better script lies somewhere between these two. But that may change as I devote more time to delving into the script beyond the major plot points.

SpeedyMaxx

I think that David/facehugger thing is scripted a lot better than the scene has any right to be given the content.  It's operatic, but the concept itself is so Bond villain.  There's some great lines: "You're all so stupid."  But I'm so glad they didn't do that.

I still can't believe they named people 'Brick' and 'Glasse.'  And there's too many xenomorphs on the dance floor.

zuzuki

The terraforming plot is useless,as is the part with the 2 xenomorphs at the end in the pyramid. Fifield mutation is pretty much pointless,doesn't serve any purpose ,forgot about him untill he came back and killed Vickers. Millburn was still an idiot playing with alien lifeforms.
There is no giant human head in this draft, no cave with giant heads either,even if they were in the concept art for the original alien prequel.
The part with the engineer in full suit shooting energy balst or whatever is too cheesy and comical.Glad id didn't end up in the movie.
The engineer killed David because he woke him up from cryosleep and he was already infected so he knew he would die. Thus he punished David.
I liked the part about the first alien on the ship.The one with translucent skin like a molusc. Also good was that they shoes different type of eggs with suid like facehugger in them, those being probably the versions that killed the engineers. Then there are the normal eggs meant for the humans,and they expanded on the fact that there are even more variations,all weaponized.

A few things that i don't like
-why the light beacon at the end? wasn't the audio signal enough? If this engineer outpost was abandoned for so long,why didn't the other engineers check up on them all this time?
-there are several pyramids along the ecuatorial line of the moon. I'm sure they would have founded when they terrafromed the moon in Aliens
-the number of years don't add up. sometimes there are 11000 years,other times there are 1600 years between visits. they say the trace back these cycles for many 11000 old cycles,but then David says that 12000 years ago was the last ice age or something,and that is when civilisation started to grow.
-the joke about the jesus being an engineer doesn't make sense,cause it doesn't fit in with the above dates they last visited us. no point in making the assumption
-in this version no one asks the question why did they created us and why they want to destroys us. It's like nobody cares in this version.
- also in this , because they don't ask the above question, it seems it's not arranged for a sequel. There is no way for them to leave the planet and go to the engineer homeworld and get the answers. Wttas doesn't care about these answers. it's even more madening than the open questions in prometheus
-people complained about nthe back and forth in prometheus, to many trips between ship and pyramid,to many times the action changes from one location to the other. well in this draft there is even more of that
-- even if David had some shitty lines in this one and acted like a Bond villain like others above me have said, i still liked how hw screwed Shaw over. but things like: ''i had to learn binary code and that allowed me to set myself free'' were really lame
-we have no idea if the purpose they were on this moon was for terraforming and create new life,or if it was the place where they designed their weapons. the script doesn't make it clear
-also confusing the mentions of the pyramids on earth. at one point in the script it's said humans constructed the pyramids to copy the engineers,but then they say the engineers made the pyramids to change the weather on earth too
-the part at the beginning with scarabs that eat the engineer then use his genetic material to inject new hosts is kinda iffy. i liked the disintegration via goo better and it fits with genetic materia from the enginner lands in waterfall/river->runs into ocean->creates sincle cell organisms/bacteria whatever that evolves into sea life,reptiles->that come on land and grow legs->rest of the evolution and somehow because of the goo it's somewhat progeammed that eventually humanoids will evolve from all of this.
-the ultramorph battle was pretty bad, and the part with the head put like a trophy above the module entrance was wtf, parody moment

I liked
- the hologram concept in the pilot room,the one that engulves the walls and ceiling and shows directly the view outside.
- i liked the way the engineers see
- the magellan falling and breaking apart in mid air
-the fact they explored more of the pyramid

In the end this would have meant a 3 hour movie,and judging from all the places they visit in the pyramid, the exploration of more pyramids on the moon, the scaning of more planets, the lenghty begnning and weyland presentation, the underwater find, this would have been more expensive to shoot, in line with the orginal budget Ridley wanted of 250 million.

But i still kinda doubt this is the real deal, and it's not just another fanboy fantasy. And if it's real i like that a lot of perceived bad things that were atributed to Lindelof,also find themselves in this draft too. And i think Prometheus was much better, introduced new concepts,and left a wide open door for the next installments with good questions to be answered and they don't have to rehash and milk the xeno anymore

Gazz

Gazz

I'm on page 95 and I actually really enjoyed the first act (bar the Weyland conference scene). Loved the landing, exploring of the pyramids and the further explanation of why they believe the Engineers to be their makers (which was sadly left out for the 'I choose to believe' naffness). There's no 'invitation' nonsense and overall it's rather well structured (despite there being too many characters).

However once the shit hits the fan the script falls apart. If you thought the 3rd act of Prometheus was rushed, well this reads as being far worse. If this is real, it's really a bit of a mess and very fan-fic.

SuicideDoors

Anything is better than the pretentious piece of shit ridley Scott and Damon lindleof served up. On page 18 and enjoying it :)

BAD_ASS_MOFO

Quote from: SuicideDoors on Nov 11, 2012, 07:43:12 PM
Anything is better than the pretentious piece of shit ridley Scott and Damon lindleof served up. On page 18 and enjoying it :)

I miss the days when people use to put "In my opinion" on their bold statements

After page 35 the script falls apart and becomes nothing more than a shoot them up monster film with nothing new to add to the alienverse

Virgil

Quote from: SuicideDoors on Nov 11, 2012, 07:43:12 PM

Not really.

The scripts a pretty good read. If this does turn out to be the work of a fan then I'll tip my hat to them. However, as many have mentioned, it's a little heavy handed with the fan service.

This gave me a good laugh though...

JANEK (Toasting)
To Milburn and Fifield. The first human beings to freak out, get lost, and sleep in their suits in the ruins of an alien civilisation.

:D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed