was AvP a rip off of Prometheus?

Started by bishoop, Oct 25, 2012, 10:36:10 PM

Author
was AvP a rip off of Prometheus? (Read 23,658 times)

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Feb 01, 2014, 01:50:30 AM
Apart from the head, I would argue that the Engineers are even more Alien than the original Space Jockey when in their jumpsuits, which offer an extremely giger-esque aesthetic, more so than the bio suit's huge ribcage and elephantine head-piece.

They are most certainly not more Alien. The Jockey as seen in the original film is a literal fusion of machine and organism. We have no idea what the "Jockey" itself is supposed to look like with flesh. It is WHOLLY different from us in both senses.

The Engineer in Prometheus is genetic linked to us, and looks exactly like ancient statues of Greek Gods. They are familiar with a sprinkling of Giger elements overlaid. The mystery is very intently sapped, and their otherness greatly sapped out...

ScaryMinds

Quote from: HybridNewborn on Jan 23, 2013, 04:39:39 AM
I'm gonna throw in a link to my list of references/homages in Prometheus to give some context on just how much of Prometheus was recycled from other films in the franchise. Hint, it's like 90% of the film.

Just finished watching The Ouija Experiment and like 90% of other movies you can pick scene after scene where the movie re-invents from other movies, look hard enough and you can do this with any movie.

For anyone interested did enjoy me some Prometheus, even with a few issues, but people are going over the top with picking it apart, you can do this with any movie.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Just discovered this thread after writing a short article on the same subject.
I guess we can agree that it was a rip-off.

https://www.avpcentral.com/prometheus-rips-off-avp

Scorpio

Scorpio

Mission to Mars pre-dates both.

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Wweyland on Nov 04, 2017, 08:59:12 PM
Just discovered this thread after writing a short article on the same subject.
I guess we can agree that it was a rip-off.

https://www.avpcentral.com/prometheus-rips-off-avp

I don't see a rip off.
The production of "Alien" had multiple ideas which weren't put in the film (like pyramids/domes), aliens in suits.
Second, before AVP, Ridley had speculated about the Space Jockeys (on the "Alien" DVD) in which they were a warlike race who had xenomorphs as weapons.
As Scott developed these ideas I don't believe he was thinking about "Predator".

;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed