"Rule of the Cool" xenomorphs vs logical based ones

Started by The Runner, Oct 22, 2012, 09:16:17 PM

Author
"Rule of the Cool" xenomorphs vs logical based ones (Read 947 times)

The Runner

Remember the first 2 Alien movies, where the Aliens looked like they really did come out of a human. They had barbed tails, about slightly longer then their body, looking like an extension of a human back bone. Also they had single jointed human like legs and human like teeth and in the case of ALIEN, a human skull under the dome. They relied on their incredible brute strength and smarts to get the best of their prey. The Queen herself was based on real science and logic, her legs for example were atrophied due to lack of use.

Then forward to AVP, and the like. To compensate for lack of strength, the aliens now have giant bladed tails despite coming from Humans. Instead of skeletal like fingers, there are now giant meat hooks. The legs are double jointed. Uniqueness thrown all out, just to make it look like a 'worthy opponent for the pseudo-predators'. The queen herself is now unrealistically huge, appearing as one of the only strong worthy opponents for predators. She now is a giant omnipotent overlord over her brainless spawn.

But anyways, what do you guys in your opinions like better

SM

I dunno where you get "looked like they really came out of a human" from.

The ribs for example, looked more human on later designs.

The good thing about the earlier designs was that they didn't looked they came out of a human, but were a weird mesh of flesh and mechanics.  The flesh ratio has increased as time has gone on.

QuoteShe now is a giant omnipotent overlord over her brainless spawn.

People had that idea since Aliens, and it was subsequently expounded on in the comics.

Just sounds like a 'old Aliens = good; new Ailens = bad' thread.

HUGZZ

HUGZZ

The new aliens make more sense and are more "logical" in that they are fleshier and share a more simialar bone structure like the ribs as posted above, while the old aliens follow the "rule of cool" more because they have mechanical parts on them (wich makes no biological sense) and if anything the new one's tales look like human spine extensions, because the older ones are flat (wich human spines aren't) with holes in them that reveal cables and tubes running through.
And also the fingers of the Cameron Aliens are incredibly long and skeletal (a lot like the AvP aliens) wich doesn't make sense.

samoht

samoht

I wouldn't say the new aliens aren't more logical. They just look like crap. They conform to the aesthetic of the "modern scary movie monster". Fleshy bony sharp teethy big spiky.

It's a bloody shame, and Prometheus did nothing to fix it.

SM

Hypothesis confirmed.

HUGZZ

Quote from: samoht on Oct 22, 2012, 11:12:13 PM
I wouldn't say the new aliens are more logical. They just look like crap. They conform to the aesthetic of the "modern scary movie monster". Fleshy bony sharp teethy big spiky.

Umm, how is it not logical? It's an alien that takes on the traits of its host, and since humans don't have mechanical parts sticking off of them,  and the fachugger/egg dont, it would make sense to say its logical for them to be fleshy (wich is what a human is).

samoht

Quote from: HUGZZ on Oct 22, 2012, 11:16:09 PM
Quote from: samoht on Oct 22, 2012, 11:12:13 PM
I wouldn't say the new aliens are more logical. They just look like crap. They conform to the aesthetic of the "modern scary movie monster". Fleshy bony sharp teethy big spiky.

Umm, how is it not logical? It's an alien that takes on the traits of its host, and since humans don't have mechanical parts sticking off of them,  and the fachugger/egg dont, it would make sense to say its logical for them to be fleshy (wich is what a human is).

I made a spelling error, it's fixed now.

My point still stands.

New aliens=mixture between goat jizz and horse shit
old aliens=epic

HUGZZ

HUGZZ

Quote from: SM on Oct 22, 2012, 11:13:39 PM
Hypothesis confirmed.
And yeah Samoht, calling them crap, goat jizz and horse shit was unecassary and doesnt help this threads discussion. I don't get people who see a thread and anything remotely related to the comparison of Gigers/Winston's aliens and ADI's, and instantly insult ADI's, it's stupid and pointless, we've seen it in a hundred other threads, this one doesn't need it.
I personally have no problem with either, maybe I like Winston's/Giger's more, but it's basically even.

samoht

Quote from: HUGZZ on Oct 22, 2012, 11:23:18 PM
Hypothesis confirmed.
And yeah Samoht, calling them crap, goat jizz and horse shit was unecassary and doesnt help this threads discussion. I don't get people who see a thread and anything remotely related to the comparison of Gigers/Winston's aliens and ADI's, and instantly insult ADI's, it's stupid and pointless, we've seen it in a hundred other threads, this one doesn't need it.
I personally have no problem with either, maybe I like Winston's/Giger's more, but it's basically even.

I've been such a naughty boy. what the fcuk am I going to do?

whiterabbit

Nothing ever beats the original. Expect maybe the ones from the sequel.

HUGZZ

Quote from: samoht on Oct 23, 2012, 12:22:17 AM
Quote from: HUGZZ on Oct 22, 2012, 11:23:18 PM
Hypothesis confirmed.

I've been such a naughty boy. what the fcuk am I going to do?
I don't know, stop ruining actualy interesting threads with aggressive opinions, and vulgar, immature language?

samoht

I just want to apologise to all users of AvPG for my constant rude jokes and blatantly judgemental, aggressive and opinionated language.

SiL

Or you could just stop acting like such a tool for a day. That'd be sweet.

whiterabbit

Alines are not clouded by conscience or remorse.

samoht

Quote from: SiL on Oct 23, 2012, 12:44:12 AM
Or you could just stop acting like such a tool for a day. That'd be sweet.

Of course. The days of tooling about are over. Be prepared to be amazed at my transformation.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed