VFX Breakdown Videos

Started by ikarop, Oct 11, 2012, 06:25:06 AM

Author
VFX Breakdown Videos (Read 10,364 times)

LarsVader

LarsVader

Wooohooooo! Love these!  :)

Took a closer look at one of the breakdowns;
found that they slapped parts of the bridge interiors to the side of the Juggernaut exterior.
Look:

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Hello,

Nice breakdown here.
It is amazing to see that MPC mostly used 2D plates to do the VFX in Prometheus.

@LarsVader: Nice catch!

Cya

tp3000

tp3000

Could you illustrate that breakdown to show the details?  I'm not seeing it.

Spoon

Spoon

Has to be the sexiest spacecraft in any movie!
I actually used to love the space shuttle for the Imperial Empire in star wars.  Even Boba Fetts ship Slave 1 but HOLY crap I want a model of that Prometheus

bobcunk

bobcunk

Slave 1 is still my favorite.

LarsVader

LarsVader

Quote from: bobcunk on Oct 12, 2012, 03:26:26 AM
Yes, Slave1 and the Derelict/Juggernaut!
What is it about these? Is there some weird correlation in liking both?
I think we are on to something.  :D

bobcunk

bobcunk

Quote from: LarsVader on Oct 12, 2012, 08:47:56 AM
Quote from: bobcunk on Oct 12, 2012, 03:26:26 AM
Yes, Slave1 and the Derelict/Juggernaut!
What is it about these? Is there some weird correlation in liking both?
I think we are on to something.  :D

no they were just cool deigns that were not the classic spaceship look.

Tough little S.O.B.

Tough little S.O.B.

VFX CGI and all the efects in this movie where just astounding, and It comes from someone that thinks that Avatar or LOTR are horrible at making me believe what I am seeing...

The rest of the movie is uterly Crap tho...

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Nov 28, 2012, 01:18:13 PM
VFX CGI and all the efects in this movie where just astounding, and It comes from someone that thinks that Avatar or LOTR are horrible at making me believe what I am seeing...

The rest of the movie is uterly Crap tho...

I think one of the biggest problems with modern CGI techniques, that (for me, anyway) is a major cause for taking one "out of the moment", and making a scene look artificial, is the impossible flying camera perspectives that are being used.  When the director uses CGI that is filmed based on realistic cinematography and camera motion, it makes a huge difference.  Compare "District 9"and it's seamlessly realistic CGI, versus "Rise of the Planet of the Apes".  Now, "ROTPOTA" undeniably has some great, advanced CGI effects.  However, once the Director allows a virtual camera to perform all sorts of unrealistic motions, it immediately becomes unnatural and cartoon-ish.  A scene in ROTPOTA that comes to mind, is the virtual camera which follows Caesar as he climbs and swings through the trees in the California forest.  Peter Jackson was guilty of this, as well, in parts of LOTR.

SM

SM

The only shot in LOTR that had a dumb camera move was the establishing shot of Gandalf and the Balrog on Zirakzigil.  The camera moves faster than a helicopter could, and the scale is affected.

A personal bugbear of mine the the accursed "through the window" shot.

Zenzucht

Zenzucht

In some cases, the VFX is almost photorealistic.. And the prosthetics! Just look at the Engineers, awesome.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

I don't know if you are very aware of this but I can tell you from experience:
When you got to rush a production that has a lot of shots using CGI, you sometimes have to ask chineese to do the dirty stuff in a very very very short amount of time.

Many big production do this and I suspect that Prometheus avoided it as much as possible since most CGI were set extension (Matte Painting) and MPC is very well known to be at the top in the industry with set extension (they have some of the best Photoshop artist in the world and usually works only with pictures and a few 3D which gives you a much better feelings of realism since it was picture taken on real location just like most shot in the mountains in New Zealand for LOTR)

Also, sometimes there's nothing you can do in CGI for a shot as for example in LOTR ROTK when Legolas kill the Mumakil.
Several artist tried different animations and in the end my VFX teacher told me that they took the "least ugly" because it was just not possible to give something that could convince people enough. It's cool for sure, but the VFX really do SUCKS in that scene.
Also, it is very well known that when you push it to realism, you sometimes should avoid to go too close because it doesn't look real (i.e. Clue in Tron. It's for me one of the best photo realist character and because it is so real it just fail because they've "passed the perfection" while you can't honestly tell what's really wrong. I mean, the facial animation is perfect, the texture is so accurate and the passes and lighting always felt very very solid).

Also, remember we're living at the beginning of Digital Cinema Era and I think that Digital by trying to be so crystal Sharp looking image kinda "kill" the image by removing the organic look grain had compared to noise that is usually even reduced using even more mathematical algorithm with program that are specific to de-noising.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed