Charles de Lauzirika interview at Bluray.com

Started by Valaquen, Oct 10, 2012, 04:32:40 PM

Author
Charles de Lauzirika interview at Bluray.com (Read 10,977 times)

Valaquen

Concerning the Prometheus BD and The Furious Gods. Excerpt:

QuoteWas there anything you wish you could've included but couldn't for various reasons?

I would've loved to have interviewed H.R. Giger. We were certainly into serious discussions on that.

He does show up briefly.

Yeah, I'm glad we got him in the documentary; at least he's a presence there. I shot that footage of him and Ridley working together. There was a last minute scramble to get Giger's approval to include it, and I'm glad we did. It would've been nice to sit him down and do a proper interview, but at least he's in there in some form. But beyond that, I've gotta be honest, I think we got pretty much everything. There are always little things, and down the road, if there's a 10th or 20th anniversary release, and there's ever a need to go in and add more stuff, there's plenty. But by the same token, we didn't hold anything back. What you have is what we intended to include.
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9686

geiger167

Slightly odd, what exactly would he say ? The promised murals were a lie, they just cobbled together some of his old paintings and he had nothing to do with them. The art he did (which I loved) wasn't used either as they 'didn't have time' to use it. Have no issues with the movie or them going down the route of using new artists, but why lie about using him before the release when he had no input other than previous paintings used as a reference for new stuff. But, at the end of the day, he is quite old now, and he doesn't paint anymore, and at least he got a proper credit in the movie, but maybe he could be a little bit more involved at a earlier stage if they ever do a sequel :)

Kol

giger truly deserved to be production designer & creature designer.

Pete Script

I think he figured Ridley was a trusted pair of hands to leave his baby with but I too would have liked to see more of his influence in the film.

SM

Quote from: Kol on Oct 10, 2012, 07:15:31 PM
giger truly deserved to be production designer & creature designer.

He wasn't production designer on Alien - why should he be on this?

Zenzucht

And the passages, ampule room, Space Jockey room, Juggernaut and the Pyramid looked like the work of what artist? Dali?

Giger's influence can be seen everywhere :)

Darth Vile

Quote from: Zenzucht on Oct 11, 2012, 10:18:16 AM
And the passages, ampule room, Space Jockey room, Juggernaut and the Pyramid looked like the work of what artist? Dali?

Completely agree. He didn't have to be working hands on with Prometheus for him to have a direct influence with the design. It's the most Giger influenced Alien movie since Alien (IMHO).

Xenomorphine

The problem was that they took the 'bio' out of 'biomechanical'. I remember remarking upon that at the time and, eventually, there was an interview with somebody involved in the production (forget who), where it was openly stated that this was a deliberate decision.

So, yes, we got Giger-esque mechanical-looking stuff, but not with the same nightmarish, organic quality. I think if they'd gone down that route, it would have given things a much more satisfying psychological link.

Blacklabel

There's an interview somewhere where Ridley says that he hated the look of the space jockey set in Alien.. but he didnt have time to change it. So he eventually changed it on this film.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Blacklabel on Oct 12, 2012, 07:50:30 AMThere's an interview somewhere where Ridley says that he hated the look of the space jockey set in Alien.. but he didnt have time to change it. So he eventually changed it on this film.

Interesting. If anyone can dig that up it'd be a good contribution to the debate methinks.

Gash

Hmm, I think I may have read that he hated that they couldn't build the full circular set, so had to plonk the Jockey dais between the 'piers' that project into the egg chamber. It was the compromise he hated, having to cut up the underside of the ship to form the corridors etc. This time around they planned it so they could redress sections of wall.

I'm not sure as to why it's less organic, but I'd assumed it was to make the ALIEN sets look like a denuded, ancient version of the ships in their pristine weapons facility state. 

Pete Script

lol, I didn't make myself very clear I was actually thinking more about the goo creatures more than anything.

LarsVader

Quote from: Gash on Oct 12, 2012, 08:38:26 AM
Hmm, I think I may have read that he hated that they couldn't build the full circular set, so had to plonk the Jockey dais between the 'piers' that project into the egg chamber. It was the compromise he hated, having to cut up the underside of the ship to form the corridors etc. This time around they planned it so they could redress sections of wall.
Yeah, I think it was basically this.
Plus that he had to abandon everything silo-pyramid/hieroglyphic
and thus had to putt the silo beneath the derelict.

aliennaire

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Oct 12, 2012, 07:45:17 AM
I remember remarking upon that at the time and, eventually, there was an interview with somebody involved in the production (forget who), where it was openly stated that this was a deliberate decision.
I believe it was Arthur Max, Prometheus' Production designer, or even Ridley's decision. What I certainly remember from earlier interviews that the reason for resorting to more mechanical design was the desire to make something different.
Well, if you'd like to know my opinion, aerials on the formerly known as the Derelict and now introduced as Juggernaut craft were redundant, to point out the least.  :-X

Valaquen, Thanks for the link!  :)
By the way, how do you guys feel about this: http://io9.com/5949685/blu+ray-extra-ties-prometheus-to-blade-runner?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_twitter&utm_source=io9_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

And there was another article where de Lauzirika confessed it was exactly his idea to play with a hint of Alien and Blade Runner united universes on BluRay commentaries (Can't find the link right now, but I would look through the history of my visited sites, if anybody is interested)!

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Gash on Oct 12, 2012, 08:38:26 AMI'm not sure as to why it's less organic, but I'd assumed it was to make the ALIEN sets look like a denuded, ancient version of the ships in their pristine weapons facility state.

Arthur Max said exactly this. The derelict was in a state of decay and the juggernaut/s were in top condition. But this is not satisfactory for me - you don't go from flat angular plates to giant bones with 'decay'.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed