Ridley Says No to Extended Cut

Started by Valaquen, Oct 08, 2012, 02:46:51 PM

Author
Ridley Says No to Extended Cut (Read 56,950 times)

HUGZZ

HUGZZ

Quote from: RagingDragon on Oct 12, 2012, 06:18:10 PM

Anyway no extended cut for you!
way to get back on topic  :P

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: RagingDragon on Oct 12, 2012, 06:18:10 PM
Not to keep going off-topic, but the thing I like most about Res is that it's self-contained, almost like a Marvel What-If?  Whole thing was contained to the Auriga, besides dat clone Ripley business. :laugh:

And, you know, the chunk of the Earth that the Auriga took out with them. Not big deal, though ;)

RagingDragon

But Earth was already a shite hole, according to Johnner.  Didn't sound like a big loss. :laugh:

HUGZZ

HUGZZ

Quote from: RagingDragon on Oct 12, 2012, 06:49:04 PM
But Earth was already a shite hole, according to Johnner.  Didn't sound like a big loss. :laugh:
Yeah at the end of the directors cut(?) Cal and Ripley both arrive on earth in Parris I believe,and it's pretty much a trash heap.

Hudson

Hudson

QuoteFair enough.  In my mind, Res doesn't exist because the concept is silly and the series ended perfectly with Alien 3.

But different strokes for different folks and all that.

Some people say that about the Holocaust. You can't change history though.  :P

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: RagingDragon on Oct 12, 2012, 05:30:54 PM
Resurrection blows Prometheus out of the water.

Yeah I said it. :laugh:  I just give it more points for being a complete story and having less noticeable plot holes.  Not trying to bait anyone, you sensitive asses. :P  I was also honestly more moved by parts of Resurrection, like Ripley facing her clones, than Prometheus, and some parts scared me a lot more than anything in Prometheus.

Res would've been in a different league had the newborn been something wicked awesome.
QuoteAR, while very different from the first three, isn't really a bad movie. Its weird, it unnecessary, and its a bit disappointing, but I wouldn't call it bad. Its interesting in an absurd, very out there way. And the Newborn design is great, given that it is supposed to be an abomination and all.

I agree with these statements.

Rick Grimes

Rick Grimes

On the topic of A:R, I don't like the movie much like anyone does. After watching a lot of episodes of Firefly, and thinking about Joss Whedon's A:R script, you can see a lot of resemblance with the Betty crew and that of Serenity. 

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

I quite like AR.  It is what it is.  And it's a total departure, and it works for me, though it is certainly very flawed.  But after 3, you had to do something wild and different.

I also think Sigourney Weaver gives one of the best performances of her career as Ripley 8.  Very animalistic, spellbinding to watch.  I wish she'd gotten to play that Ripley again.

T Dog

T Dog

I used to loathe Resurrection, I still think it's silly but as a sci fi movie it's decent.

It very much feels like it could be a Dark Horse story and I think it's successful if looked upon on those terms.
All of Joss Whedon's writing feels very comic bookish and A:R is no exception.

It's pretty much a spin off at this point anyway. I doubt there'll be a sequel and with all love and respect Sigourney seems too old now.

But if they want to make more Alien films all they have to do is make some poor unfortunates stumble across some eggs. Bingo.

samoht

samoht

Quote from: Vickers on Oct 12, 2012, 06:02:52 PM

Yeah I said it. :laugh:  I just give it more points for being a complete story and having less noticeable plot holes.  Not trying to bait anyone, you sensitive asses. :P  I was also honestly more moved by parts of Resurrection, like Ripley facing her clones, than Prometheus, and some parts scared me a lot more than anything in Prometheus.

Res would've been in a different league had the newborn been something wicked awesome.

Fair enough.  In my mind, Res doesn't exist because the concept is silly and the series ended perfectly with Alien 3.

But different strokes for different folks and all that. 8)

Res? Alien 3? What are these movies you speak of?

As far as I am concerned, Ripley and the others are still floating around in space.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: samoht on Oct 13, 2012, 05:22:53 AM
As far as I am concerned, Ripley and the others are still floating around in space.

In a damaged EEV headed to a prison planet.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Fair enough.  In my mind, Res doesn't exist because the concept is silly and the series ended perfectly with Alien 3.

This. Though I would have prefered Ripley's story ended at Aliens, presumably headed back toward Earth, if there was going to be another movie with Ripley to tie it up, Alien3 was the best possible outcome in my mind.

Not to mention I personally like Prometheus a lot more than Resurrection.

T Dog

T Dog

I think 3 worked nicely thematically.

It will always be a flawed but interesting film. It has a lot of great ideas but I don't think it flows amazingly. It gets a bit stuck in places.

Too bad poor Michael Biehn didn't get that starring vehicle for 3 and create that team of rebels fighting the company.
I thought the first Dark Horse stories set up the characters nicely with him being shell shocked and having some nasty facial burns. Newt was in an asylum. Would be interesting ways to start the characters off instead of being dead.

FUBAR1945

FUBAR1945

OMG Ridley Scott goes full retarded.

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: samoht on Oct 13, 2012, 05:22:53 AM

Res? Alien 3? What are these movies you speak of?

In my mind it's ripley and jonesy float in space.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed