Ridley Says No to Extended Cut

Started by Valaquen, Oct 08, 2012, 02:46:51 PM

Author
Ridley Says No to Extended Cut (Read 57,123 times)

SM

SM

And lmfao @ lazy, baseless and altogether ignorant generalising.

BANE

BANE

Quote from: RagingDragon on Oct 10, 2012, 01:26:54 AM
Quote from: Hudson on Oct 10, 2012, 01:04:37 AM
I'm glad Ridley denied the Extended Version. I just watched all the deleted scenes and they sucked...
Yes, expanding on utterly retarded characters you care little to nothing about really does suck.  So does making an idiotic, pointless God/creator-Engineer being into a slightly more thoughtful, godlike, and intelligent being.

And lmfao @ the "what fans are owed" comment.  Holy cow, just what?  Let's be clear here: people develop expectations based on what they've seen previously.  Prometheus simply doesn't measure up to Alien, but you all must insist that it does or you're cornered by your own bullshit arguments that turn any criticism into 'fan whining.'

Please, it amazes me how far people bend over backwards to make something sub-par into something good or even great, as great as the classic that spawned it in the first place.  That's a sign of a damned desperate and depressing cultural state.

It's okay to acknowledge that it really does suck when compared to Alien, because it does.  I've seen far more people over-analyzing negative opinions and turning them into slobbering fan hate than I've seen actual "fans" insisting that the movie should've been all of the things they wanted.  The people defending the movie have stumbled into far more embarrassing rants that resemble the 'true fans' in question than the people criticizing it.

People just wanted a movie on-par with Alien.  Prometheus isn't.  That's the only objective standard necessary, and a completely reasonable one at that.  Can we dispense with the fan talk, or must it go on?  It doesn't have a real place here, all hot air.  This isn't AvP:R, folks.

Spoiler
[close]
Alright, wall-o-text here fizzles down to 'quit yer bitchin', fools'.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Oct 10, 2012, 01:29:08 AM
To be fair your "hilarious" posts calling people out on so-called "entitlement" are no better.

Quote from: Ash 937 on Oct 10, 2012, 12:37:11 AM
Prometheus is easily Scott's worst science fiction film to date
Well he's only made three, and the first two he made are largely regarded as masterpieces of the genre. :P

I mean I went into 'Prometheus' hoping for a good movie, but I wasn't expecting him to revolutionize cinema or reinvent the wheel, especially given his track record in the years between 'Blade Runner' and 'Prometheus'.

SM

SM

QuoteTo be fair your "hilarious" posts calling people out on so-called "entitlement" are no better.

No.

Please note my use of the term "some people" rather than stupidly tarring everyone who didn't like the film with the same brush.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Yeah and neither was he. Like BANE said, all he's saying is "quit your bitching", which isn't exactly unreasonable.

SM

SM

That's not what he said at all.

Ash 937

Ash 937

Quote from: SM on Oct 10, 2012, 12:51:12 AM
it reviewed well and made over $400m on a $130m budget with a restrictive rating, and they're pursung a sequel.

Yeah, and its amusing to see the fans rally around these facts to justify their appreciation of the film.  By stands set this high, someone could even argue that the Saw franchise is just a series of masterpieces, one after another.

RagingDragon

Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 10, 2012, 01:42:42 AM
To be fair your "hilarious" posts calling people out on so-called "entitlement" are no better.

Quote from: Ash 937 on Oct 10, 2012, 12:37:11 AM
Prometheus is easily Scott's worst science fiction film to date
Well he's only made three, and the first two he made are largely regarded as masterpieces of the genre. :P

I mean I went into 'Prometheus' hoping for a good movie, but I wasn't expecting him to revolutionize cinema or reinvent the wheel, especially given his track record in the years between 'Blade Runner' and 'Prometheus'.
I would rather blame Ridley Scott expectation than some misguided, Star-Wars-level fan attachment to Alien.

I just don't think that's really applicable in all of these Pro-metheus/Anti-metheus arguments.  People on both sides have better points to make than that, uberfan or not.  I think most people here saw the film with a very open mind, and the major division comes from the expectations that Ridley built throughout his own career.

These fan arguments make it feel like AvPrometheus. :-\  F that.  I haven't seen anyone screaming "Ridley raped my childhood!" or "Ridley destroyed the Alien franchise!"  People agree on most points, but it comes down to what you expected from the film and what standard you hold it to.

SM

SM

Quote from: Ash 937 on Oct 10, 2012, 01:56:09 AM
Quote from: SM on Oct 10, 2012, 12:51:12 AM
it reviewed well and made over $400m on a $130m budget with a restrictive rating, and they're pursung a sequel.

Yeah, and its amusing to see the fans rally around these facts to justify their appreciation of the film.  By stands set this high, someone could even argue that the Saw franchise is just a series of masterpieces, one after another.

You'd have a valid point if any Saw film has an overall positive response from critics.  Must be devastating that a lot people actually liked Prometheus.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: RagingDragon on Oct 10, 2012, 01:26:54 AM
Please, it amazes me how far people bend over backwards to make something sub-par into something good or even great, as great as the classic that spawned it in the first place.  That's a sign of a damned desperate and depressing cultural state.

I'm thrilled to depress you.  But the truth is, I really didn't have to try hard at all to like the movie, because I actually, really, really liked it.

QuoteIt's okay to acknowledge that it really does suck when compared to Alien, because it does.

And it's okay to acknowledge not everyone agrees with you.

QuotePeople just wanted a movie on-par with Alien.  Prometheus isn't.  That's the only objective standard necessary, and a completely reasonable one at that.

No, it's your opinion.  And you're going to have to start learning to live with it only being that.  The Internet is hard, bro.

SM

SM

^ Wot he said.

I dug Prometheus in spite of it's many flaws.  Is it on a par with Alien - no.  But I never expected it to be.  But I'd put it on a par with the equally flawed but still enjoyable Alien3 and Resurrection.

It's quite simple minded to restrict ones views to either "Classic" or "Sucked".

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

I think it's considerably better than both of those.  But I also prefer AR to 3, so I am considered in some circles clinically insane.  I'm fine with that.

I had one old friend who saw the original in theaters in '79 say it was the second best, but he hated Aliens and I assumed he had Alzheimer's.

It is what it is.  People love it, people hate it, people are in-between.  There's no absolute, and there's nothing any of us can ever do about that.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Haha I don't understand this DEMAND for an alternative cut. Why does there need to be one? why does Ridley need do to one? how would it make the film better anyway??

Everyone's opinion differs, what some may think is better others will not. Ridley made what he wanted and obviously felt no need to fiddle further, the moneymen obviously left him to do what he wanted, full control. Thus there is no alternative cut, get over it people!! geez!.

As some have said, give it some years when Ridley's own tastes/opinion changes and we might get something. The only reason for alternative cuts is mainly down to studio interference, not just for the hell of it. Although these days its admittedly just a money spinner, change a few shots, reverse this and that and voila! a new cut for the fans.

Hudson

Hudson

It's like telling Picasso you really like his painting, which is completed and he's proud of, but you want him to paint that little cat in the corner that doesn't compliment it at all.

G8RSG1

G8RSG1

Quote from: Gash on Oct 08, 2012, 04:10:31 PM
Quote from: Kol on Oct 08, 2012, 03:53:09 PM
so sad.

clearly an evidence, that scott became senile.

Oh I dunno. I expect he can still capitalise his sentences.

Seriously? Is that all you could think of to say? Of all the constructive arguments and ideas floating around here, you decided to poke at his capitalization?

Grow up.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed