Prometheus H.R. Giger Artwork Preview

Started by ikarop, Oct 01, 2012, 11:13:31 PM

Author
Prometheus H.R. Giger Artwork Preview (Read 45,959 times)

ikarop

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Oct 02, 2012, 01:09:30 AM
My only question: is there anything here really good that hasn't been posted yet?

There is indeed. Giger did more creature work and even environmental work for the film.

Blacklabel

noice! :)  ;D

Jenga

REGARDING THE BABY CREATURE:

Hi guys, I can say with utmost certainty that the baby looking creature is the mutated Fifield monster. How? Well it's almost exactly like the design shown drawn by both Ridley Scott in a Ridleygram as well as a 3D rendering by Neville page in the Concept Art of Prometheus presentation given at Gnomon School of Visual Effects that I wrote about in this forum thread:

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=45277.0

This is the creature that Neville Page and Ridley Scott referred to as "The Baby" during the concept art phase. This is because they referenced fetuses and babies born with deformities such as encephalitis for the domed head.

MrSpaceJockey

Quote from: ikarop on Oct 02, 2012, 01:30:30 AM
There is indeed. Giger did more creature work and even environmental work for the film.

Hmm...cannot wait to see more...if the documentary is really good as well the special features here really are great.

And the eyeball tentacles....yes.

Quote from: Jenga on Oct 02, 2012, 02:20:07 AM
REGARDING THE BABY CREATURE:

Hi guys, I can say with utmost certainty that the baby looking creature is the mutated Fifield monster. How? Well it's almost exactly like the design shown drawn by both Ridley Scott in a Ridleygram as well as a 3D rendering by Neville page in the Concept Art of Prometheus presentation given at Gnomon School of Visual Effects that I wrote about in this forum thread:

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=45277.0

This is the creature that Neville Page and Ridley Scott referred to as "The Baby" during the concept art phase. This is because they referenced fetuses and babies born with deformities such as encephalitis for the domed head.

Agreed. It like the deacon, and even moreso, Fifield. The strange posture echoes the strange position they find Fifield in outside the loading ramp.

Anyone able to translate some of the notes? Not sure if it's messy handwriting or a different language.

whiterabbit

They weren't that good. Still I wanted more horror in the film.

acrediblesource

Just sketches, maybe we will have a Prometheus collection where he'll actually make a series of airbrush paintings like he did for Giger's Alien and Necronomicon.

fiveways

Better then what 99% of this community has come up with, which is mostly bitching and moaning.

I left one percent for the legitimate good fan art that floats around here.

SpeedyMaxx

Top row middle as well as the dude with the spike in his mouth needs to be in the sequel.

LarsVader

Quote from: acrediblesource on Oct 02, 2012, 03:31:40 AM
Just sketches, maybe we will have a Prometheus collection where he'll actually make a series of airbrush paintings like he did for Giger's Alien and Necronomicon.
I would love that, but I am afraid he retired from airbrushing long ago.

And...

SpeedyMaxx

That looks good, actually.  It would have been terrifying to see the baby version scuttling around the temple, then have the full grown adult show up outside Prometheus.

wmmvrrvrrmm

I'm very impressed by the ideas in Giger's drawings and by Giger's drawings

Stratocaster

Gigers drawings are terrible. I think he is like breasts on a log now. :(

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: LarsVader on Oct 02, 2012, 12:29:43 AM
I wonder what the order of all of this is;
are these Giger's interpolations of the stuff that the production team did earlier,
or are these the very sketches that the production team based their work on?
Cause some of these aren't that far from what we got on screen.

Well the dates given seem quite interesting, useless information unless we knew the dates when they did their work. The drawings all seem to date back to the first half of 2011, well, at the moment I can see that the alien life forms (1,8,12 & 13 ) posted were done in late February, the Species like humanoid (21) in March and the three Deck Elements (22,24 & 27) were all drawn in April.

I'm noticing the word Wasserfall on the Deck Element with the facehugger type creature, maybe it was supposed to have flowing water as a font?

ikarop

According to the documentary they are interpolations from earlier stuff. Ridley showed Giger all they got in an attempt to impress him and get his "approval". They show a few moments from this meeting in the Bluray.

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: ikarop on Oct 02, 2012, 01:39:12 PM
According to the documentary they are interpolations from earlier stuff. Ridley showed Giger all they got in an attempt to impress him and get his "approval". They show a few moments from this meeting in the Bluray.

Well, he seemed to be polite about what they created on the set of Poltergeist II until he got home. But it's a different story here

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed