The Engineer Speaks..... I think!!!

Started by RoaryUK, Sep 17, 2012, 07:24:25 PM

Author
The Engineer Speaks..... I think!!! (Read 47,837 times)

Gazz

Gazz

Ugh, some of this shit really shouldn't be extras on a blu-ray package. They should be in the final film. There have been three scenes so far that I think would have improved Prometheus (Vickers/ Weyland, Shaw/ Holloway, Weyland/ Engineer). The ball has been well and truly dropped here.

Ash 937

Ridley himself admitted that the version we saw in the theaters was the vision he preferred for the film itself.  Does it even matter what the Engineer says then???  or is it just fodder to sell Blu-Ray/DVDs from FOX?

Besides, I doubt that whatever the Engineer says can be that profound given the fact that he resorts to violence to solve it's problem (whatever that can be) in less than four minutes.  This is clearly not the intelligent being that we were lead to believe it was.  It's more like a raging hulk that has no control over its own "assumed" intelligence and resorts to violence within mere minutes.  Who cares what it says; Ridley's Engineer is simply a "movie monster," not a "god."

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: RiddleMeTheus on Sep 18, 2012, 03:09:48 PM
While I respect your opinion, I think all the deleted scenes released so far add some kind of value to the film.

I love a lot of deleted material I see for films, but oftentimes with movies there's also stuff you'll find which you can see why it got cut - either because it was extraneous, or ill-advised, or spells out too much or becomes redundant.  More is not always better.  For example, I think the scene with Vickers and David bickering over comm for half a minute as she heads down to torch Holloway is a pointless bit.  Oh, Vickers made another jibe and alluded to the subplot we've already clearly seen David engaged in - it really adds nothing and is just a needless moment.  And while some of the stuff I've seen I really like and would've liked to see back in, I think other pieces I've seen kind of trod the same ground a bit too much.  Fifield and Millburn with the shed skin, too - it really adds almost nothing but an Alien callback, which the people who dislike the film would've slammed as pandering.  It also doesn't get explicated on or proven out with the monster - I never got the sense the hammerpede shed its skin.

QuoteAnd you really think the Vickers and Weyland scene is over-long?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_losxd2UAKn1qc24g0.gif

Yes, criminally overused Oprah gif, I do.  I think part of it is good, but then I think it starts banging the drum too much, hitting the same beat over and over on poor dear daughter Meredith in the way Lost too often did with its dreadfully terrible characters and their emo family feelings.  She just talks and talks and speechifies once she crosses to him, and I got a little bored.  I see why they stripped it down.  When I write I often am trying to pare my own stuff down.  I find there's sometimes more deft power in that - just watching a daughter kiss her father's hand and watching it curl into a fist.  I think they could've kept a little more of that in the final cut, but no, not all of it.  And I love Vickers, so that's saying something for me.

ThisBethesdaSea

I don't get why it looks silly or why people think it's a joke? It looks as serious and Ernest as the rest of the film.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Sep 18, 2012, 04:15:23 PM
I don't get why it looks silly or why people think it's a joke? It looks as serious and Ernest as the rest of the film.
Therein lies part of the problem...

Ash 937

Quote from: Cvalda on Sep 18, 2012, 04:22:18 PM
Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Sep 18, 2012, 04:15:23 PM
Therein lies part of the problem...

+1

ThisBethesdaSea

So pardon my naïveté.....but can you just spell it out?

Darth Vile

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Sep 18, 2012, 03:51:55 PM
Quote from: RiddleMeTheus on Sep 18, 2012, 03:09:48 PM
While I respect your opinion, I think all the deleted scenes released so far add some kind of value to the film.

I love a lot of deleted material I see for films, but oftentimes with movies there's also stuff you'll find which you can see why it got cut - either because it was extraneous, or ill-advised, or spells out too much or becomes redundant.  More is not always better.  For example, I think the scene with Vickers and David bickering over comm for half a minute as she heads down to torch Holloway is a pointless bit.  Oh, Vickers made another jibe and alluded to the subplot we've already clearly seen David engaged in - it really adds nothing and is just a needless moment.  And while some of the stuff I've seen I really like and would've liked to see back in, I think other pieces I've seen kind of trod the same ground a bit too much.  Fifield and Millburn with the shed skin, too - it really adds almost nothing but an Alien callback, which the people who dislike the film would've slammed as pandering.  It also doesn't get explicated on or proven out with the monster - I never got the sense the hammerpede shed its skin.

QuoteAnd you really think the Vickers and Weyland scene is over-long?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_losxd2UAKn1qc24g0.gif

Yes, criminally overused Oprah gif, I do.  I think part of it is good, but then I think it starts banging the drum too much, hitting the same beat over and over on poor dear daughter Meredith in the way Lost too often did with its dreadfully terrible characters and their emo family feelings.  She just talks and talks and speechifies once she crosses to him, and I got a little bored.  I see why they stripped it down.  When I write I often am trying to pare my own stuff down.  I find there's sometimes more deft power in that - just watching a daughter kiss her father's hand and watching it curl into a fist.  I think they could've kept a little more of that in the final cut, but no, not all of it.  And I love Vickers, so that's saying something for me.
Totally agree with you.... Although taking into account that there has to be enough information on screen for deleted scenes to potentially add no benefit.

SpeedyMaxx

Taking a different tack, that's also why I detest the extended cut of Alien Fox forced out.  They put some nice stuff back in here and there - the beacon scene, even though they f**ked up the sound, or the fight with Ripley and Lambert - but the film was perfect as was.  You didn't need any of that.  And reinserting the fabled Dallas cocoon scene - a decent scene by itself, but clunky, awkward and shoehorned into the terrifying escape sequence at the end of the film, breaking its rhythm as well as taking away the eerie mystery of Dallas's disappearance, hence why it was dropped to begin with - was unforgivable.  Worse still was the way they did it; trimming it down so it is very janky and jagged and vastly inferior to the original scene, and adding pointless music.

And the horrible Exorcist re-release - don't get me started.  Everyone loves that old original ending with George C. Scott and the priest, but it wasn't truly necessary, and the way they did it and all the other stuff they put back in and "added" - oh my God.

echobbase79

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Sep 18, 2012, 04:44:14 PM
Taking a different tack, that's also why I detest the extended cut of Alien Fox forced out.  They put some nice stuff back in here and there - the beacon scene, even though they f**ked up the sound, or the fight with Ripley and Lambert - but the film was perfect as was.  You didn't need any of that.  And reinserting the fabled Dallas cocoon scene - a decent scene by itself, but clunky, awkward and shoehorned into the terrifying escape sequence at the end of the film, breaking its rhythm as well as taking away the eerie mystery of Dallas's disappearance, hence why it was dropped to begin with - was unforgivable.  Worse still was the way they did it; trimming it down so it is very janky and jagged and vastly inferior to the original scene, and adding pointless music.

And the horrible Exorcist re-release - don't get me started.  Everyone loves that old original ending with George C. Scott and the priest, but it wasn't truly necessary, and the way they did it and all the other stuff they put back in and "added" - oh my God.

I thought the 'spiderwalk scene' was a good addition to the re-release of the Exorcist. That was pretty damn creepy.

Salt The Fries

^ Very creepy, bro. It was only cut in the theatrical cut at the time coz the wires were visible...

SpeedyMaxx

No, that's not the original spider walk.

The original spider walk was a longer sequence where Regan came down the stairs, flicking her tongue at people and chased them about a bit.  Friedkin thought it was too much to play that scene right on top of the shock of the news of Burke Dennings's death.  The scene as it originally existed - much of it can be viewed on one of the old Special Editions - was just fine.

The version in "The Version You've Never Seen," cut down to nothing but a quick shot of the walk down the stairs, with CG blood in Regan's mouth and a goofy monster sound effect added over unnecessary music, is an abortion of the spider walk.  It's awful.

thecaffeinatedone

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Sep 18, 2012, 04:28:43 PM
So pardon my naïveté.....but can you just spell it out?

It's giving a silent imposing alien a generic "rarrgh" voice that sounds pretty generic and out of place. Then it's like, "This scene is srs, yo"

SpeedyMaxx

The Janek/Vickers scene is great.  Haven't seen the battle or the full scene with the Engineer and Weyland yet.

Someone said it somewhere better than me, but it's clear they made a number of bargains with the studio.  If they weren't going to trim the medpod scene to get a PG-13 - and thank God they didn't - they were pushed to turn in a cut as close to 2 hours as possible, which meant excising certain sequences.  I understand how this happens, I understand why and how it eventually proved out for Prometheus to become a viable success.  But I still would like to see an official extended cut without Fox worrying over the stove.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed