Fox Talks Prometheus Sequel

Started by ikarop, Aug 01, 2012, 04:01:38 PM

Author
Fox Talks Prometheus Sequel (Read 88,975 times)

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Prometheus to me was a very good film in my opinion and was much better then the AVP films for sure. We never had a Alien related film since 1997 and that was 15 years ago.

Godroyah

Godroyah

Quote from: Alienhunter15 on Aug 02, 2012, 12:22:56 AM
"Damon Lindelof might not be available"

Spoiler
F**K YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[close]

Agreed 100%

As for Fox saying "we want to make sure we get it right", its practically an admittance to the fact that they didn't get it right with the first film. I enjoyed seeing Prometheus, but was overall disappointed. Personally, I would have killed to have seen Spaights original script for this. Lindelof must have spiked Scott's drink before slipping the script into his hand, because its so diced up that its too painful to even sit here and joke about. There were some great lines, but there was so much childish nonsense going on that I felt like I was watching a bad TV drama rather than an epic sci-fi horror.

PsyKore

PsyKore

I'm not sure about what I'd like to see story-wise. But as far as direction and atmosphere, I'd like to see more emphasis taken on dark horror and tension similar to what Alien had. With the trailers for the first film, we got that cool Alien siren sound effect and the trailer kept building and building in tension, but unfortunately it really did give the wrong impression about the actual film, tbh. I'd be happy with Prome' 2 regardless as long as the film is good, however (I enjoyed the first despite it being a different style to the Alien films), but I do miss the all out horror style of the original Alien.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

This was expected, but it still pleases SpeedyMaxx.

Prometheus was a solid success for Fox and pretty well received.  If the film was being written off as some 'error,' this would not be happening at all.  Is it a perfect film?  No.  But it's pretty damn good.  More horror, mystery and ideas than anything since the original.  It was the third best film in the series, and it's the right way to go forward.  Huzzah.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: Godroyah on Aug 02, 2012, 04:27:35 AM
Quote from: Alienhunter15 on Aug 02, 2012, 12:22:56 AM
"Damon Lindelof might not be available"

Spoiler
F**K YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[close]

Agreed 100%

As for Fox saying "we want to make sure we get it right", its practically an admittance to the fact that they didn't get it right with the first film. I enjoyed seeing Prometheus, but was overall disappointed. Personally, I would have killed to have seen Spaights original script for this. Lindelof must have spiked Scott's drink before slipping the script into his hand, because its so diced up that its too painful to even sit here and joke about. There were some great lines, but there was so much childish nonsense going on that I felt like I was watching a bad TV drama rather than an epic sci-fi horror.
That's rubbish. It was a generally well received movie which made quite a bit of cash. What they are saying is that they want to make a worthy follow up.

Ash 937

Ash 937

Very few sequels are better than the original film. 

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Aug 02, 2012, 05:06:14 AM
Prometheus was a solid success for Fox and pretty well received.  If the film was being written off as some 'error,' this would not be happening at all. 

The people that are calling it a success are only doing so because the movie made more than it cost to make.  Sometimes that has very little to do with the actual quality of the film.  Prometheus was hyped and people bought into it as Ridley's grand return to sci-fi film making.  There was no way it wasn't going to have a promising opening weekend.  But the film suffered a sharp decline in revenue a week after it was released because the reviews were bad and people where determining that it wasn't the film they thought it would be.  So building hype for a sequel might be difficult at this point.  Faith might be lost for many...as it is for me.  I'm not saying it wouldn't be impossible for a sequel to be successful but there might be less good faith than there was the first time around.

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Aug 02, 2012, 05:06:14 AMIt was the third best film in the series, and it's the right way to go forward.  Huzzah. 

In the original "quadrilogy" I'd say it's the worst one.  If you throw the AvP films into the mix, Prometheus is only better than AvP:Requiem imo.

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: Mr. Runner on Aug 02, 2012, 03:32:08 AM
"Prometheus IMO is an more enjoyable film then anything else alien beyond maybe the first one."

Blasphemy! That's just like saying that Micheal Bay's Transformers is the best of the Transformers universes.  :(

I love gen one transformers as pure nostalgic crap.  Dark of the moon is number two on my worst films ever list.

AvP:r is number one.

Aliens isnt my kinda movie.  I'm just not into that kinda action flick.

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Aug 02, 2012, 02:25:38 AM
I think 2015 is likely given that Scott is already working on a different film at the moment and 2014 has enough stuff being released that year. 2014 has two Marvel Studio films, Transformers 4, the third Hobbit movie, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Ninja Turtles, X-Men: First Class 2, How to Train Your Dragon 2, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 and the new Godzilla film from Legendary Pictures.

More shitty sequels and remakes, yay! :D

BTW, do you think Scott will direct the sequel?

SM

SM

QuoteThe people that are calling it a success are only doing so because the movie made more than it cost to make.

No, it's because it cost $130m and is currently sitting on $302m, and will do a bit more business in the remaining markets it has to open in.  Is it a smash hit?  Probably not in box office terms.  But those solid numbers coupled with the positive response from critics and audiences all spell "success".

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Quote from: newbeing on Aug 01, 2012, 04:58:08 PM
Good news, but please no Spaihts... I feel like Lindelof got all the crap while Spaihts (the guy who wrote the terrible Darkest Hour before Prometheus) got off scott free.

Couldn't agree more. However I would also add Ridley into the line of ef ups into this line.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Spaihts has made solid well reviewed scripts (mostly for unproduced pictures).. but he's still renowned for being a decent writer... bit unfair to criticize him for a script of his that was quite rewritten by Lindelof.

Darkest Hour had a troubled production from what i hear...

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: acrediblesource on Aug 01, 2012, 10:50:51 PM
Terrible movie? yet nobody HERE compares it to anything else other than itself.  Its a gem.

A gem infers it was shiny, polished and considered valuable to all. Whether you liked it or not, I think the troubled controversy surrounding its release demonstrates it far from qualified for that description.

And it got compared a lot to the other films in the series. I'm unsure what you mean by claiming otherwise.

Quotepeople may not agree on the details and thats pretty much it. The details.

Like Hitler and Stalin disagreed "on the details"? I mean, there's a fairly huge gulf between its fans and critics... Some proclaim it to be a masterpiece and others call it a travesty. It's not people quibbling over a few minor plot points.

Quote from: orchidal on Aug 01, 2012, 11:38:47 PM
Exciting news. There was no question that a sequel needed to be made.
Hope they get the mood of the film right this time around.

But do we really need this to be a trilogy? I mean really?

It never "needed" a sequel to be made. It's clear from all the interviews, so far, that they were partly making it up as they went along and don't have some grand, 'Babylon 5'-style masterplan of where to steer it in the future.

This may be a good thing. It may also equally be bad.

We're in for a bit of a quirky ramble, no matter what happens. At least, if Sir Ridley of the Scotts is involved in any capacity other than producer. If he's the director, we'll be getting more of the same. Don't go holding your breath for greater inclusion of Giger, authentic biomechanical aesthetics, genuinely scary psychosexual horror or any of the rest - if he wanted to have included that, it would have been in this one and he's already said that he's happy with the edit we saw.

SM

SM

Quotetroubled controversy surrounding its release

What "troubled controversy"?

Master

Master

It was inevitable and I`m fine with that. I like Prometheus though it have many flaws and plot holes I hope they`ll answer in sequel. TBH I``d like them to complicate things abit and made Engineers and Space Jockeys two different races. Jockeys should be much older extinct race that Engineers are trying to emulate.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Master on Aug 02, 2012, 09:48:09 AM
Jockeys should be much older extinct race that Engineers are trying to emulate.
I dig.
Never gonna happen, however.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed