The Space Jockey.

Started by Gekko1, Jul 14, 2012, 02:51:39 PM

Would you be happier if the Engineers in Prometheus and the Space Jockey in ALIEN were NOT the same species?

Yes
30 (43.5%)
No
39 (56.5%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author
The Space Jockey. (Read 10,621 times)

Gekko1

Gekko1

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Jul 15, 2012, 12:14:53 AM
Quote from: Gekko1 on Jul 14, 2012, 02:51:39 PMFor what it's worth, lets find out what we all think. I for one believe that if the Engineers were not the same species as the Space Jockey in ALIEN, then this would open up the possibilities of the ALIEN franchise greatly, as opposed to basically killing it.

If anything I would say that the Engineer idea did open up the franchise, a lot. Despite presonally thinking that the film is pretty crappy, I am glad of the new approach. There are many different and interesting ways the franchise could go now (and I don't even think we can call it the same franchise anyway).

Whatever you think of the film you at least have to admit that it is a breath of fresh air, no?

I liked Prometheus. It was a breath of fresh air, true. I'm just big on the idea of the Space Jockey being something more than a humanoid in a suit. It could still be done, and pretty much keep most people satisfied too. The Engineers stay as Engineers with all their technology and design, and there could still be a Space Jockey race, more alien in design, more ambiguous in behavior and biology.

Quote from: Highland on Jul 15, 2012, 10:43:10 AM
Don't you see that the haters are the minority though? People keep spewing up these thread topics as if to say "Hey! Who's with me guys!!!" But every poll, the reviews , "most" comments are all on the good side of the ledger.

"Haters" is way too strong a word. I most certainly didn't hate Prometheus, actually I liked it. I also liked the Engineers. I just don't see the logic of the Engineers being the Space Jockey of ALIEN. It could all be so much more, much bigger in scope.

As for being in the minority? Well, that is my sole reason for starting the poll. I'm curious. What DO people think. To come out with a blanket statement that people like me are in the minority is a bit premature. This site is just one site talking about Prometheus as I'm sure you're aware. There are many voices, many opinions.

People like yourself like to bully people into being quiet and not voicing their opinion for fear of people like you mocking them or shooting down their thoughts. I won't be bullied, nor will I have my opinion mocked by people like yourself, so just get used to it. :)

Highland

Highland

I'm not bullying anyone dude  ???. Do you really think a thread asking people if they think that the Engineers and the Jockey's are not the same being, when every piece of evidence everywhere states that they are, is necessary? Considering there are already numerous Engineer threads available for chat?

I mean, who's backing you here mate? You're own poll is telling you otherwise. Why is my opinion not valid? You only accept like minded posts?

ughhh, I give up. Mods just let anyone post any old shite anyway. Go ahead.

episodenone

episodenone

Quote from: Gekko1 on Jul 15, 2012, 10:25:05 AM
Quote from: episodenone on Jul 14, 2012, 09:51:02 PM
another wacky thread.

totally illogical if you ask me.  but freedom of speech and all...

And yet you become part of it, then speak of logic? ::)

Quotebottom line -- sooner you stop thinking you can wish changes into the movie and poof - it'll happen.  it won't.  accept the movie you have in reality.

Sorry to disappoint you, but this is something I will not give up on, and the more negative people like yourself that I encounter the more determined I will be. ;D

Sorry - but I consider myself an intelligent person - and this thread is not - and I like to point that out to less intelligent people.

Ridley said in every freakin interview imaginable that he wanted to explore who the original SJ was from Alien.  Who the Hell are you to say that he meant that in a way that he actually made a movie to accomplish that and yet your lame idea that they are STILL NOT THE SAME SPECIES THAT THE WRITER / DIRECTOR SAYS THEY ARE and yet consider that worth fighting for?

Me posting here in this particular thread is what I do to confirm that I am as smart as I think I am and that we realy are doomed as a culture.

Urns turning into Eggs?   haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

x-M-x

x-M-x

I saw Engineers in this movie, didn't see a Space Jockey tho, just a Space Jockey suit for the Engineers.

lol

episodenone

episodenone

Quote from: Gekko1 on Jul 15, 2012, 10:54:37 AM

People like yourself like to bully people into being quiet and not voicing their opinion for fear of people like you mocking them or shooting down their thoughts. I won't be bullied, nor will I have my opinion mocked by people like yourself, so just get used to it. :)

Don;t you get it?  You are not offering an opinion.  You are PRETENDING that with everything stated by the creative staff of Prometheus and what you ACTUALLY SEE ON THE MOVIE SCREEN is simply not what you want to believe so you're going to make something up instead.

With all due respect - I imagine you are a teenager.  But even as a teenager I had common sense.  Alas - to quote Voltaire - Common Sense is Not So Common.

Quote from: Gekko1 on Jul 14, 2012, 02:51:39 PM
For what it's worth, lets find out what we all think. I for one believe that if the Engineers were not the same species as the Space Jockey in ALIEN, then this would open up the possibilities of the ALIEN franchise greatly, as opposed to basically killing it.

And - for what it's worth - your poll - which I chose not to vote in -- doesn;t even ask the question you hope to answer.

It asks would people be happier if the Eng and SJ are not the same.

But yet you seem to think it asks "Are they the same thing"

I hate to dissuade people from joining this site and discussing the films -- but this is a waste of internet storage.  Deep inside some Data Center somewhere a flashing red light just aid "Memory Full" as this thread started and the world shed a single tear.

Gekko1

Gekko1

Quote from: Highland on Jul 15, 2012, 11:43:08 AM
I'm not bullying anyone dude  ???.

You are, and you do. Simple as that. You mock anybody who's opinion differs from yours. Just like you are here. Perfect example. But I'll rise to the challenge. ;)

QuoteDo you really think a thread asking people if they think that the Engineers and the Jockey's are not the same being, when every piece of evidence everywhere states that they are, is necessary? Considering there are already numerous Engineer threads available for chat?

It's a Poll. Is there another one asking the same question that I missed? People are split about this subject. THAT is in fact what this poll is showing, despite how you appear to see it. Evidence, if you want to go that way, shows that they are two very different creatures. Size, design, anatomy and physiology all point to two different life forms as has been pointed out painstakingly in many threads by various people who won't just stay quiet and except what we have been served.

QuoteI mean, who's backing you here mate? You're own poll is telling you otherwise. Why is my opinion not valid? You only accept like minded posts?

The poll speaks for itself. Like I thought it might. As of writing it's 60/40 in your favor. That to me seems pretty close, not the landslide in your favor you're touting it to be. Democracy is an amazing thing when it's allowed to flourish.

Your opinion is VERY valid in fact! You like the idea of the Space Jockey in ALIEN and the Engineers of Prometheus being one in the same species and I'm fine with that. I'd like to see it to be something different, something more. That's all.

Quoteughhh, I give up. Mods just let anyone post any old shite anyway. Go ahead.

I would like to think this site is for everybody, and ALL opinions. And people's opinions should never be drowned out by those who wish everybody just see things their way and everybody else can just deal with that. No way!

Vickers

Vickers

I liked Prometheus. It was a breath of fresh air, true. I'm just big on the idea of the Space Jockey being something more than a humanoid in a suit.

I hear you.  I don't hate the engineers.  I just hate that the mystery of the Space Jockey is killed because now it's some blue-grey guy sitting in a suit.  I just feel that it removes that distance between us and the Space Jockey and gives off this idea that we can ALL be space jockeys.

It was nice to imagine that the Space Jockey in Alien is actually not an engineer in a suit but I don't see that being very likely.

It could still be done, and pretty much keep most people satisfied too. The Engineers stay as Engineers with all their technology and design, and there could still be a Space Jockey race, more alien in design, more ambiguous in behavior and biology.

Yes, if we had the Engineers and then the Space Jockey race separated, that would be fantastic.  Then they could explore the link between those 2 races without making the Jockeys too human-like.

This doesn't have to be some cheap slasher.  If they show us small glimpses of the Jockeys in motion, it's easy to keep that element of terror there without it becoming too tacky.  Just the same way we only saw small glimpses of the Xenomorphs in Alien.  The fear of the unknown is a far stronger fear than knowing it's a strong giant guy in a suit, in my opinion.

It could all be so much more, much bigger in scope.

This.  People hated the Star Wars prequels because it made the universe too small.

How is this any different?  It's just linking us to this species which, I think, has the same effect.

I mean, really?  100% DNA match?

As for being in the minority? Well, that is my sole reason for starting the poll. I'm curious. What DO people think. To come out with a blanket statement that people like me are in the minority is a bit premature. This site is just one site talking about Prometheus as I'm sure you're aware. There are many voices, many opinions.

Agreed.  And not everybody with an opinion posts it on the internet.  There are hundreds and thousands of people who have seen the film who love it or feel indifferent to it or who hate it.  That's why I don't take things like Rotten Tomatoes and the IMDb Top 250 seriously.  It may be an idea of what people like but it's still not the true collection of people's feelings.

As many people as there are that have given the film a rating of 1/10 out of spite, there are just as many who gave the film a 10/10 rating because they're Ridley apologists.

I didn't hate the film at all.  But I will express my views and thoughts when I damn well want to.  So don't let this put you off, Gekko.  Not everybody freaks out if you have an opinion that differs from theirs.

episodenone

episodenone

Quote from: Gekko1 on Jul 15, 2012, 12:52:24 PM

I would like to think this site is for everybody, and ALL opinions. And people's opinions should never be drowned out by those who wish everybody just see things their way and everybody else can just deal with that. No way!

Don;t you get it?  You are not offering an opinion.  You are PRETENDING that with everything stated by the creative staff of Prometheus and what you ACTUALLY SEE ON THE MOVIE SCREEN is simply not what you want to believe so you're going to make something up instead.

With all due respect - I imagine you are a teenager.  But even as a teenager I had common sense.  Alas - to quote Voltaire - Common Sense is Not So Common.

[/quote]

Gekko1

Gekko1

Quote from: episodenone on Jul 15, 2012, 12:31:29 PM
Sorry - but I consider myself an intelligent person - and this thread is not - and I like to point that out to less intelligent people.

How so? Again, another bully. You consider anybody not agreeing with you to be "less intelligent"? Really. ;D

QuoteRidley said in every freakin interview imaginable that he wanted to explore who the original SJ was from Alien.  Who the Hell are you to say that he meant that in a way that he actually made a movie to accomplish that and yet your lame idea that they are STILL NOT THE SAME SPECIES THAT THE WRITER / DIRECTOR SAYS THEY ARE and yet consider that worth fighting for?

First off I think you should re-read my statement. I'm simply asking a question. Would people be happier if the two were a different species. That's all. I am very aware what Mr Scott has said in interviews. Mr Scott is not the be all and end all of the ALIEN franchise. If he wants to do a movie about creation and religion good for him. Personally I wish he'd stuck to Science Fiction.

A "lame idea"? I think not. Believe it or not people actually want good Science Fiction. The two being different species would help that cause.

QuoteMe posting here in this particular thread is what I do to confirm that I am as smart as I think I am and that we realy are doomed as a culture.

:D Your on your own there buddy. If you think like that there's not much I can add. ;)

episodenone

episodenone

Quote from: RiddleMeTheus on Jul 15, 2012, 01:02:09 PM

Agreed.  And not everybody with an opinion posts it on the internet.  There are hundreds and thousands of people who have seen the film who love it or feel indifferent to it or who hate it.  That's why I don't take things like Rotten Tomatoes and the IMDb Top 250 seriously.  It may be an idea of what people like but it's still not the true collection of people's feelings.

As many people as there are that have given the film a rating of 1/10 out of spite, there are just as many who gave the film a 10/10 rating because they're Ridley apologists.

I didn't hate the film at all.  But I will express my views and thoughts when I damn well want to.  So don't let this put you off, Gekko.  Not everybody freaks out if you have an opinion that differs from theirs.

And using that logic -- a sample size of 33 is good enough for you?

Good grief.

Quote from: Gekko1 on Jul 15, 2012, 01:04:42 PM
Quote from: episodenone on Jul 15, 2012, 12:31:29 PM

How so? Again, another bully. You consider anybody not agreeing with you to be "less intelligent"? Really. ;D

QuoteRidley said in every freakin interview imaginable that he wanted to explore who the original SJ was from Alien.  Who the Hell are you to say that he meant that in a way that he actually made a movie to accomplish that and yet your lame idea that they are STILL NOT THE SAME SPECIES THAT THE WRITER / DIRECTOR SAYS THEY ARE and yet consider that worth fighting for?

First off I think you should re-read my statement. I'm simply asking a question. Would people be happier if the two were a different species. That's all. I am very aware what Mr Scott has said in interviews. Mr Scott is not the be all and end all of the ALIEN franchise. If he wants to do a movie about creation and religion good for him. Personally I wish he'd stuck to Science Fiction.

A "lame idea"? I think not. Believe it or not people actually want good Science Fiction. The two being different species would help that cause.

Would help your cause maybe.

So, if he is not the be all end all of the story.  What is?  You and your internet posts?

I am simply discussing factual evidence -- and you are fantasizing -- I would be happy to discuss why I do not think the Engineers ruined anything whatsoever and are in fact good science fiction.

You are discussing your dreamworld vision of what you wish this movie was b will never be nor will anyone else attempt to make is so.  Live with it.  If we cryo-sleep you for 200 years - you will wake up and find that the Engineers are still the same as SJ's.

The most you can hope for is a Chinese or a Black Engineer next time.  Will that be good enough for you?

No one is bullying you by the way.  We are simply asking you to live within the framework of the story you have - not the one you thought up last night while stoned.

Vickers

Vickers

Quote from: episodenone on Jul 15, 2012, 01:04:59 PM

And using that logic -- a sample size of 33 is good enough for you?

Good grief.

Care to elaborate how you came up with that number?

episodenone

episodenone

Quote from: RiddleMeTheus on Jul 15, 2012, 01:11:41 PM

Other than by hitting "view poll results" in this very thread?

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Oh, sorry - - then I added 20 + 13 [using my pocket calculator of course] and it said 33!  I checked it on 3 other calculators and 2 abacus'es   :-*

Care to elaborate on how you came up with that number?  Because using that statement - every website should be at 50% approval for this film.  Is that the case?  I must have missed it.

Also - thank you for interviewing each and every positive reviewer and confirming that we are all in fact "Ridley Apologists"  Whatever the hell that means.  As if Ridley and I are such good friend I support him to that extent.

So I assume you believe I loved Robin Hood too?  [for the record - this "apologist" never finished watching that one]

Vickers

Vickers

Quote from: episodenone on Jul 15, 2012, 01:15:27 PM
Quote from: RiddleMeTheus on Jul 15, 2012, 01:11:41 PM

Other than by hitting "view poll results" in this very thread?

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Oh, sorry - - then I added 20 + 13 [using my pocket calculator of course] and it said 33!  I checked it on 3 other calculators and 2 abacus'es   :-*

Nice. You're trying to be a smartarse. :) I wasn't exactly keeping my eye on the poll results. ;)

But I still don't see what you're trying to get at with the 33 thing.  Because checking the poll, the majority WANT the engineers to be the same species as Alien?

I wasn't letting this poll affect me in any manner.  Hell, there could be 2000 people who say they don't want them to be the same and 5 people who say they do.  All it means is that 2005 people cared to vote.  It doesn't really say anything.

Like I said before, I don't let any kind of voting system influence my individual opinion.  These things may make me cautiously optimistic or weary (if I haven't seen it yet) but I would never let it sway my own opinion at the end of the day, after having seen it.

:-* :-*

Gekko1

Gekko1

Quote from: episodenone on Jul 15, 2012, 12:34:53 PM

You're right. I'm not offering an opinion. I'm simply asking a question. Why that question should get you so bent out of shape amazes me.

QuoteWith all due respect - I imagine you are a teenager.  But even as a teenager I had common sense.  Alas - to quote Voltaire - Common Sense is Not So Common.

I'm 47 years old, happily married for over 25 years and have three children. I'm not really sure why you feel the need to insult me at such a level? But, no problem. Keep going. ;D

Quote from: Gekko1 on Jul 14, 2012, 02:51:39 PM
For what it's worth, lets find out what we all think. I for one believe that if the Engineers were not the same species as the Space Jockey in ALIEN, then this would open up the possibilities of the ALIEN franchise greatly, as opposed to basically killing it.

And - for what it's worth - your poll - which I chose not to vote in -- doesn;t even ask the question you hope to answer.

It asks would people be happier if the Eng and SJ are not the same.

But yet you seem to think it asks "Are they the same thing"

I hate to dissuade people from joining this site and discussing the films -- but this is a waste of internet storage.  Deep inside some Data Center somewhere a flashing red light just aid "Memory Full" as this thread started and the world shed a single tear.

Not voting in the poll is your choice of course, but you seem to be self-sabotaging yourself don't you think?

The question is quite simple and straight forward.

You seem highly offended that people should wish to differ in opinion? And with your statement about this site I have to wonder why you're here?

episodenone

episodenone

Trying to be a smart arse?  I am offended.  I simply used your statements in this thread with the statements of the OP and proved my point.

Not sure why that isn't good enough for you.

QUIT BULLYING ME!    :'(

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed