Why do people idolize Wolf so much?

Started by The Runner, Jul 04, 2012, 10:20:30 PM

Author
Why do people idolize Wolf so much? (Read 51,508 times)

The Runner

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on Jul 05, 2012, 06:31:08 AM
Quote from: The Runner on Jul 04, 2012, 10:20:30 PM
Why is that people don't understand that Wolf is only "elite" and "badass" is because the only 'enemies' he faced were incompetent Cletus-Morphs. Where did people get this from? COuldn't they see that Wolf was beating up mentally-challenged pseudo-aliens.

Some do and some simply don't want too. You have to understand the psychology of some predator fans. It all stems from their childhood; when they were kids they watched predator movies and as little boys; what do they like? Cool shit. And there is nothing cooler then the predator: he's got cool weapons, cool vision modes, cool dreads, able to turn invisible, his blood even glows. Everything about the predator just screams cool. In fact if you were to go around asking people what they would rather be: an alien or a predator, most would probably say predator. So what happens when you take a super cool creature like the predator and pit him against a creature that isn't 1/10th as cool as him? They scoff at the idea. "Bah! Aliens stand no chance, what can they do? Predators have all those gadgets and weapons, Predators Rule!" I've unfortunately had to hear shit like this ever since AVPR came out. The simple reality is that some predator fans don't want to give the aliens their due, they don't want to analyze both creatures and the situations they were put in, they just want the predator to dominate so he doesn't lose his "coolness." Remember when the first AVP came out? "Oh my god! One alien killed two predators? That's bullshit, these aren't REAL predators, a real predator can take out 100 aliens all by himself!" or "Those predators were inexperienced, if it were an elite predator, he would have killed that alien easily." They use that word "Experience" like it's their get out of jail card. If a predator loses it's because he's inexperienced and not because the alien was a great threat. This whole "elite/experience" Bullshit is nothing more than childish fan boys trying desperately to alleviate butt hurt. And that's what Wolf was: the ultimate remedy for butt hurt. Predator fan boys cried when their beloved predator's got "humiliated" in AVP so the strause brothers pulled Wolf out of their ass, called him an "Elite," and let him rape the aliens 6 ways till Sunday and the predator fan boys creamed over it and talked shit about the aliens ever since. Like children bragging that their favorite baseball team won, even though they are too stupid to see that their team cheated. You try to explain to them how the team cheated but they'll just cover their ears and go "LALALALALA!" and just say you're jealous because your team got beat so easily. You can't talk to them, it's pointless, if you try to point out the alien's strengths and abilities, they just pull the "Experience/Elite" Card like it automatically makes the predator a superhero. Like the predator is going to go super saiyan once he's reached elite status. By the way, since when did "Experience" become such a crucial pre request when dealing with aliens? The aliens have no weapons and no experience. Do you really need to be at the height of your hunting carrier to deal with something like that? I could kill a few aliens right now if I had a machine gun.  If I kill a bunch of aliens right now, do I get "Elite" status? Do I get the magical ability to do whatever I want to the aliens with no consequences? Can I go up to two aliens and grab them by their necks while they do nothing to me?  No? I guess I'm not cool enough, only predators get that power. This whole "Experience" thing is the worst thing to ever happen to the predator mythology, It's like saying anything the aliens do doesn't even matter, it's like saying if Gill was experienced he would have snatched Grid's tail without even looking and threw him to the ground like a rag doll and killed him in seconds. You know if the strause brothers directed that scene that's exactly how it would have played out and it's not just them either, it's pretty much 90% of the predator fan boys. Go to Youtube and search for AVP fan films and I guarantee you will find the majority of them have predators just slaughtering and humiliating the aliens. Watch the fan film AVP: Redemption; it's the perfect example of how much predator fans don't give a flying f**k about the aliens.

The saddest part is that it doesn't stop with them either. this level of thinking is so widespread and so engraved into the common man's mind, that it has become the norm. How many times do we have to suffer through a piece of AVP promotional material where it's nothing but a predator pwning an alien?

How many times must we see things like this:

http://www.socwall.com/desktop-wallpaper/9021/alien-vs.-predator-by-parminder-rai/

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Aliens-vs-Predator-Cheats-47971.shtml

http://www.hdwallpapers.in/view/aliens_vs__predator_game-1440x900.html

Why don't we ever see an alien standing over a predator while striking a cool pose? Simple: the alien just isn't cool enough for that, people identify the predator as a badass figure and don't want his image ruined while the aliens are always thought of as those bugs that got blown away in Aliens. There is nothing cool or appealing about a bug and that's why the predator will always be favored over the aliens.

I whole heartingly agree with you. Well there was an alien striking a cool pose over a pred. Ala Specimen 6 roaring in victory over Wolf 2's comatose(getting facehugged) body after having defeated him.  :P Which was pretty awesome and almost a fan service. It was almost like the developers said "Got pissed off and tired about what happened to the aliens in AVP:R? Here! Kill Wolf!!! :D" Which was pretty great  :)

Le Celticant

QuoteWhy do people idolize Wolf so much?

Because he's the only predator who get a girldfriend in the end? I mean, dat epic final hug with Chet was so sweet, I'm sure they cut the kissing part under a rain of fire, that was too hot ;D

avpfan101

wolf is the best my favorite skin in avp

Lie

Lie

Quote from: AcidGlow on Jul 04, 2012, 10:29:11 PM
Quote from: The Runner on Jul 04, 2012, 10:20:30 PM
Why do people idolize Wolf so much?

He had the highest kill count. ;D
http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/wolf-predator.jpg

True and he didn't show fear in the face of the Predalien which was clearly stronger than him. They weren't lock in the jaws of death... he stabbed it in the head to which it impaled him in return, he lost but to get that far was epic cause if a harden criminal can't fight the one from a Dog/Cow for more than 2 minutes before being killed. To fight one that is from his own species virtually unarmed for as long as he did is why I rate him higher than any other Predator that came before him. The film around his actions and the actions of the Predalien don't come into it at all.

Novak 1334

Simply put, shitty writers made every Alien a complete pussy

samoht

samoht

If the film had been written and directed properly, the aliens would have been dangerous killing machines and wolf would have been slaughtering them like a boss.
In AVPR. Wolf is a badass alien killing expert....it just wasn't portrayed very well at all.

People idolise what wolf COULD have been. What he was SUPPOSED to be. Not how the BS portrayed him as.

Novak 1334

Quote from: samoht on Jul 09, 2012, 12:32:26 AM
If the film had been written and directed properly, the aliens would have been dangerous killing machines and wolf would have been slaughtering them like a boss.
In AVPR. Wolf is a badass alien killing expert....it just wasn't portrayed very well at all.

People idolise what wolf COULD have been. What he was SUPPOSED to be. Not how the BS portrayed him as.

Exactly, it doesnt help that he was alone, a few more inexperienced Preds under his command getting killed would have seperated him more satisfyingly, and we'd have all been more inclined to believe how much of a real bad ass he was

SM

SM

QuoteTrue and he didn't show fear in the face of the Predalien which was clearly stronger than him.

What did have to fear?  All the other Aliens he'd gone up against were pissweak, with acid blood that had a pH of lukewarm tea.  The PredAlien (may its name be forever cursed) was no different.

happypred

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on Jul 05, 2012, 06:31:08 AMThat's bullshit, these aren't REAL predators, a real predator can take out 100 aliens all by himself!"
You do realise that Paul Anderson forced Celtic to fight an alien with his bare hands. Melting wristblades, stolen shoulder cannon...yeah

On top of that Celtic does act like an idiot. After ramming the alien senseless, instead of stabbing it in the head with his dagger, he chooses to swing it around by the tail like a retarded WWE wrestler. How is that different from when aliens in Requiem tail-whip instead of just impaling?

Quoteit's the perfect example of how much predator fans don't give a flying f**k about the aliens.
A lot of alien fans don't give a f**k about predators. It's a mutual thing...

I'm a fan of the Aliens universe, but I'm not a hardcore fan of the creature.   

QuoteThe saddest part is that it doesn't stop with them either. this level of thinking is so widespread and so engraved into the common man's mind, that it has become the norm. How many times do we have to suffer through a piece of AVP promotional material where it's nothing but a predator pwning an alien?
Predators have guns, it's natural for people to think that something with guns can beat several creatures armed with nothing but teeth and claws (and tails I suppose)

QuoteThis whole "elite/experience" Bullshit is nothing more than childish fan boys trying desperately to alleviate butt hurt.
You can blame that on Anderson. In the interview on the DVD, he describes them as "teenage predators". I've also heard that on the extended edition of the movie, the predators are described as adolescents.

Experience/skill does matter. A delta operator is obviously better than a recent trainee out of army bootcamp. I don't see why it's OK for alien fans to whine about retarded aliens, but it's not OK for predator fans to whine about stupid/inexperienced/poorly armed predators. Can we be a bit more fair?     

Serious question: Would you guys honestly prefer a truly elite predator? One capable of intelligently slaughtering droves of extremely deadly aliens? You do realise that you'd have no excuses in that case...

chupacabras acheronsis

i'd prefer a standard predator acting with some semblance of common sense.

i find it disgusting how every predator is shown as a suicidal maniac instead of a cunning and efficient hunter.

SM

SM

QuoteSerious question: Would you guys honestly prefer a truly elite predator? One capable of intelligently slaughtering droves of extremely deadly aliens? You do realise that you'd have no excuses in that case...

'Extremely deadly aliens', by definition, wouldn't be 'slaughtered in droves'.

happypred

Quote from: SM on Jul 09, 2012, 03:54:58 AM'Extremely deadly aliens', by definition, wouldn't be 'slaughtered in droves'.
They'd be slaughtered in droves by something even more deadly...super-duper extremely deadly if you will

SM

SM

At which point they'd cease to be "extremely deadly".

By necessity, the threat of the Aliens requires 1) limited weaponry of the protagonists and/ or 2) the action to take place in space.

Aliens being mowed down by unlimited firepower doesn't make them deadly.  In Aliens, even with pulse rifles and sentry guns, the threat is constantly ratcheted up until they finally attack.

happypred

That's the aliens' problem. They're deadly in close quarters but they wilt against heavy fire power because they have zero ranged capabilty (aside from acid-spitting). If the "cleaner" pred wears acid-resistant armour, even that would be negated.

A "cleaner" pred would say "fu** hunting, this is extermination". He'd go in there with the most powerful guns, the most advanced sensors etc. and would probably have a few buddies to back him up.

He'd blast aliens with the pred equivalent of military hardware. I'm just saying that if the predators go all out, the aliens would be screwed because they simply have no tech. Tech is a huge advantage. Imagine if Celtic has a shoulder cannon when he fights Grid...

If you want a balanced fight, you'd have to keep it to a few predators hunting for sport in an evironment highly favouring the aliens. If the predators don't want to play around, they could just blow up that evironment. What I'm saying doesn't apply only to predators, Colonial Marines with some decent intel would be able to mass-slaughter aliens if the Company weren't obsessed with preserving specimens.

My point is...you fight on the aliens' terms (get into melee combat), you risk a horrible death, but advanced species have the option of not fighting on the aliens' terms.   

chupacabras acheronsis

the solution would be to bring back aliens to ambush hunters.

if they can't go through a wall of plasma and gunfire, they'll hide, go deep underground or get lost in the landscape and never be seen again until you aren't looking, then they'll make a mess again.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed