Share your memories of the first time you saw AVP

Started by JPredator, Jun 21, 2012, 08:26:04 AM

Author
Share your memories of the first time you saw AVP (Read 12,118 times)

Scorpio

Quote from: Denton Smalls on Jul 10, 2016, 09:41:31 PM
QuoteDon't forget The Sleigh Ride of Friendship.

Lol "The Sleigh Ride of Friendship."

Good thing the acting was superb to make up for it.

From IMDb
Sebastian de Rosa: When I was a kid growing up in Italy, you know what they call a moon that big?
Alexa 'Lex' Woods: What's that?
Sebastian de Rosa: Hunter's moon
Alexa 'Lex' Woods: Hunter's moon.
[pause. They start laughing]

My favourite moment.  ;D

windebieste

"La luna del cacciatore."  It sounds like it belongs on a Campbell's Soup tin label, doesn't it.

-Windebieste.

Spidey3121

The first time I watched AVP was a Thursday night midnight showing, opening weekend. I went with my brother & 2 friends. I remember not hating it. I think I may have even liked it. I recall posting on these very forums in it's defense that same night. 2-3 days later, & the forum was no longer :'(

The most recent viewing was tonight. It's hard to know where to begin. I don't hate this film. I'm willing to ignore setting it on Earth given it's isolated location. It tried. It tried to be big, & it tried to be epic, but it falls short. More charasmatic characters would have gone a long way towards fixing that. Better dialogue too, no doubt. Lex is perfectly suitable, & I liked Beaker, but everyone else are cardboard cutouts. Well, Lance is great. Lance is always great. Still, when you sign on board for a movie titled Alien vs. Predator, human characters aren't necessarily the focus. They're all canon fodder in the long run.

The Predators: I recall people disliking the ship because it differed in design from those seen in 1 & 2. A silly critism, in my opinion. I liked the alteration to their thermal vision then, & I still like it now. It was due for an upgrade. It got one, & people cried foul. Do I wish the creature designs were better? Yes, I do, but I'm not going to base the quality of the film on it. It's not as if leaner Predators with the ability to fully close their mouths would drastically change the outcome. The biggest issue is how easily 2 out of 3 are dispatched, & I know it's an issue shared by many. I loved the reveal, but ideally, I'd have 2 more Xeno's join the fight against Celtic, giving him a brief moment of badassery before biting it. Scar is decent.

The Aliens: They don't look good, but the coat of black paint offers an improvement over their appearance in Resurrection, at least to my eyes. I like Grid. I like that they gave us a single Alien to follow. The queen was gorgeous, & bad ass. I love the scene of her instructing Grid & co to release her. Much has been made of the quickened life cycle; again, I'll give it to them. Do you want to spend more time with nondescript characters putzing around a pyramid? If the quickest route to making the title card happen is instant Alien, I'll take instant Alien.

The back story is silly, there's no getting around it. Predators help humans build pyramids & in return are whorship them as gods, occassionally offering ourselves up as sacrifice so they can hunt Xenos? Not a good look. My least favorite aspect of it though is that the Predators within are juveniles. I would have prefered making them experts. As in, only they best & most proven hunters get the opportunity to hunt the ultimate prey in the ultimate battleground. I do love that pyramid though. It looks great & provides a wonderful setting. I wish more time had been spent following the characters after they became isolated, allowing a larger sense of dread to build before ultimately falling victim to the Aliens.

And I must say, I adore the opening scene on the satellite, silhouetting the Queen. Just gorgeous. At this point though, I reckon I've written more than anyone will care to read. I believe this film, in this iteration, was made with good intentions. Given the route it took, I don't think that it ever had a chance of being great, but I do believe it came close to giving us a solid AVP film. As Maxwell Smart would say, "missed it by that much." Setting it in space, in the future, doesn't automatically translate into us getting a better film.

Were I to assign a rating, I'd split it right down the middle: 5/10. It pales next to Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, Predator & Predator 2. I'd say it's on par with Resurrection. Maybe a touch better, even. It fares much better compared to the films that follow. AvPR was, & remains, a complete disgrace. Predators isn't good. I don't know if that's a popular opinion here or not, but it's instantly forgettable. Prometheus is better, but seems to be equally as divisive. So, to recap, it's not good, but it's not bad either. Thank you for your time.

Kaltes

Quote from: Spidey3121 on Jul 27, 2016, 05:38:53 AM
The Predators: I recall people disliking the ship because it differed in design from those seen in 1 & 2. A silly critism, in my opinion. I liked the alteration to their thermal vision then, & I still like it now. It was due for an upgrade. It got one, & people cried foul. Do I wish the creature designs were better? Yes, I do, but I'm not going to base the quality of the film on it. It's not as if leaner Predators with the ability to fully close their mouths would drastically change the outcome. The biggest issue is how easily 2 out of 3 are dispatched, & I know it's an issue shared by many. I loved the reveal, but ideally, I'd have 2 more Xeno's join the fight against Celtic, giving him a brief moment of badassery before biting it. Scar is decent.

Honestly I wish they'd kept Celtic alive instead of Scar.

Corporal Hicks

Or at least swapped the mask design around. It would have been interesting to see the main Predator with a more distinctively different design.

Scorpio

^Scar's mask design suits the character, though.

God this is awesome flick, I'm watching it right now.  I wish we got a prequel or proper sequel to this instead of AVPR.

Spidey3121

It's not as if the Predators had defining character traits beyond their masks.

FiorinaFury161

From what I can recall, I was high as a kite in the atmosphere, so my memory is very hazy about that opening night.

All I can remember is when The Predator gave whats-her-face a Alien shield and spear, someone in the audience said (out loud):
"Oh f**k no!" . You said it all, mysterious movie patron :P

Kaltes

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Jul 30, 2016, 12:49:43 AM
All I can remember is when The Predator gave whats-her-face a Alien shield and spear, someone in the audience said (out loud):
"Oh f**k no!" . You said it all, mysterious movie patron :P

Perfect.  :laugh:

Valaquen

I honestly can't remember seeing this for the first time. It was on DVD I'm sure. I was so uninterested. Even when I was a teenager (I was 15 when this movie came out) I felt it was for younger audiences. But then I'd been watching the originals and all those 80's sci-fi/horror movies (from Predator to ANOES) as a five year old. AVP was really a regression.

Last time I watched it was maybe five years ago with a friend while I was at uni. All I remember are the credits rolling.

BishopShouldGo

My 12 year old self was thoroughly disappointed. By the time the CGI helicopter showed up, my stomach was knotted up and my vision was blurry, because I was certain I was witnessing the death of both franchises, and I had been waiting for this film since I was 4. For some reason, I knew I was in for something terrible when that white van pulled up to the gate. Something about that shot. I was so excited and even at that age, could ascertain what a shit movie was.

80 minutes, PG13, poor characters and story, poor creature design, no thematic subtext, no A-list talent in front of or behind the camera.

I'll tell you what. I never thought my favorite franchise would get such a holy renaissance. As a kid, I always thought that was reserved for the "popular", "legitimate" franchises that left me cold and uninterested. But not today. Today is my day. Today, Sir Ridley Scott is back. He came back not to do one but four more! Amazing. I feel blessed.

Dreams do come true. But I digress. AvP broke my heart. Fin.

Scorpio

You must have been a very sophisticated 12 year old.  When I was 12, I would have been like "cool a spaceship!".  :laugh:

happypred

I disagree with the ppl who say AvP is better than AvP-R

Both are about just as bad...albeit in different ways

Shinawi

Shinawi

I watched AVP at a cinema. It was good to see Lance Henriksen again. And I enjoyed the actions and seeing the xenomorphs and the predators in the same movie. They didn't frighten me, though. I had watched all the Alien and Predator movies that were already made by then. So I became desensitized. The latest Predators didn't scare me either.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Rented it at the local video rent. I had been psyched to see it but my mother insisted that we see ALIEN and ALIENS first, and so we did, and I obviously wanted more; I loved watching it and rewinded the key creature stuff several times over. Kept the damn DVD for a week with a rent that ended up costing something like a dozen euros

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed