Ridley admits pieces were cut.

Started by GreatKnower, Jun 03, 2012, 06:24:36 PM

Author
Ridley admits pieces were cut. (Read 30,851 times)

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: Divpax on Jun 03, 2012, 06:39:41 PM
Quote from: MrLee on Jun 03, 2012, 06:29:54 PM
Well this is why older films were better, they didnt care. Movies were always 18 rated
To be fair, if promethues came out at the same time as Alien it would probably be X rated.

However I agree that nowadays problem with big budget films is that in order justify the budget unnecessary changes get made.

If the theatre cut of Dawn of the Dead was "R", then Prometheus would be an "R" as well.

It's all about budget to rating to audience ratio.

*inflation wise alien cost roughly 31 million to make in comparison to the 120 million minimum we see being tossed around for prometheus.  Maybe he should have tightened his belt, got more completely unknown actors[actors are meaningless] and forced himself to do it for 40-50 million.  It might not look as pretty, but f**k pretty.

Ruttager

Ruttager

so.. after listening to Scotts interview with simon and mark on 5live, it does seem that certain scenes got cut.. like this one: http://www.movie-moron.com/wp-content/gallery/trailer/prometheus-trailer-3.jpg

will we see a directors cut dvd?

dave1978

dave1978

He aint kidding!!!  pitty we wernt told this was hacked to bits before we shelled out £11.50 to go an watch it.  What happened to the cast iron statement "not one scene will be cut" oh sorry we lied about that.

Well you can take this for certain,  if the BluRay isnt a lenghty 3 hour directors cut i wont be buying.

robertmartin

Fords death was odd. She was thrown to the stairs and then that was it. Surely that was just a bruised rib.

JonesTheCat

JonesTheCat

Quote from: dave1978 on Jun 04, 2012, 06:41:44 PM
He aint kidding!!!  pitty we wernt told this was hacked to bits before we shelled out £11.50 to go an watch it.  What happened to the cast iron statement "not one scene will be cut" oh sorry we lied about that.

What of course was meant by the "not one scene will be cut" statement from Rothman was presumably that "not one scene will be cut" from the final print that Ridley offered Fox .......... which had perhaps already been cut substantially to please Fox (shorter running time = more theatrical screenings per day).

Promethean Fire

Quote from: Eva on Jun 03, 2012, 09:58:48 PM
I just read the brandnew interview he did with Damon. I'd have loved to see the dream scene he described with David & Weyland, but alas it was never filmed. The film could use some more interaction between Weyland, David and Vickers.

I'm sure we'll get some nice Ridleygrams of this scene. ;)

Game_Over_Man

Quote from: BobbyK on Jun 04, 2012, 06:49:55 PM
Fords death was odd. She was thrown to the stairs and then that was it. Surely that was just a bruised rib.

Again, this is one surely for the Director's Cut - which has been tantalised at by Scott in his BBC interview.

I think ALL of the death's were edited heavily, even Shaw's final clash with the Engineer. The whole movie needs another 30min of character development and less soundtrack. More stillness before the storm.

Promethean Fire

Quote from: Game_Over_Man on Jun 04, 2012, 07:55:54 PM
Quote from: BobbyK on Jun 04, 2012, 06:49:55 PM

Again, this is one surely for the Director's Cut - which has been tantalised at by Scott in his BBC interview.

I think ALL of the death's were edited heavily, even Shaw's final clash with the Engineer. The whole movie needs another 30min of character development and less soundtrack. More stillness before the storm.

The violence in particular seemed edited down to its bare minimum.  If the MPAA gave the movie an R, then they may as well have went full bore with what ever they shot.  Much like Del Toro did with Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark, when the MPAA refused to pass it as a PG-13.  He put stuff back in (and I think they even shot new footage) that at least took advantage of its R rating. 

The only thing's that struck me as brutal were some of the sound effects.  Fifield punching the mechanic through the helmet etc.

Not that I'm saying extra gore or violence makes for a better film, but if you get an R rating, then f@ck it, you may as well go for it.

And stuff

And stuff

Quote from: Parker on Jun 03, 2012, 06:31:25 PM
Quote from: MrLee on Jun 03, 2012, 06:29:54 PM
Well this is why older films were better, they didnt care. Movies were always 18 rated

Amen

+2

T Dog

T Dog

it was obviously edited for a pg13. pretty obvious when they censored fifields "go f**k yourself ".
we were suckered

psychonaut25

gyro

gyro

well the more they talk the more they will sell the directors cut

Prime113

Prime113

Quote from: tmjhur on Jun 04, 2012, 10:26:13 PM
it was obviously edited for a pg13. pretty obvious when they censored fifields "go f**k yourself ".
we were suckered

You gotta be kidding me! If they were gonna edit shit like that, why didn't they just cut a little more and make it a PG-13? That's stupid.

larry3444

larry3444

Quote from: GreatKnower on Jun 03, 2012, 06:24:36 PM
Check it out. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17701436

"The film is violent and tense but Sir Ridley - who has been an outspoken critic of the current rules of film ratings - insists he "cut as much he could to open the film to a wider audience."'

"It has to be about the movie, so I've made concessions. There's a moment where you don't want to harm the movie."

"But he acknowledges its a case of simple economics and getting an 18 certificate "could be the difference of $80m or more"".

Or in my opinion, the 18 rating, could have been the reason it grosses more than you can imagine.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

He said "Not one frame will be cut."

He said nothing about scenes. :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed