Prometheus Box Office

Started by Spidey3121, Jun 02, 2012, 03:20:19 AM

Author
Prometheus Box Office (Read 151,068 times)

Alien³

Alien³

I want a sequel. I want a sequel. I want a sequel. I want a sequel. I want a sequel. I want a sequel. I want a sequel. I want a sequel. I want a sequel. I want a sequel. I want a sequel. I want a sequel. I want a sequel. I want a sequel. I want a sequel. I want a sequel. I want a sequel. I want a sequel.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I must have not heard you correctly. Do you want a sequel?

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jun 26, 2012, 03:09:00 PM
I must have not heard you correctly. Do you want a sequel?

Only one more, please.

Anonymous User

Anonymous User

I have the impression that actually the box office is driven more by the repeat viewers than new ones. No wonder that Prometheus is doing well as the audience keeps coming back to watch it to connect the dots left by the script writer  :laugh:

Promethée

Promethée

Quote from: Darth Vile on Jun 26, 2012, 01:59:56 PM
I'm not one for hankering after pointless sequels... but I'm not sure where you are getting your facts from??? Box office returns are very, very good and the movie has a very healthy A.I from aundiences and critics.

Well, outside of the alien/ridley fanboy sphere let me assure you that a lot of people are tearing the movie apart.

About the numbers i can't tell since i'm not familiar with fox's financial balance, but according to past box office history,
those numbers are at best decent, but far from huge success.

I hope we get a sequel, and that they won't make the same mistakes.

Gazz

Gazz

Hell I would say it's the fanboy sphere that's been most divisive in regards to the film. Mixed-positive seems to be the overall response outside of the nerd-base I would say. At least where I am but then the film is way over performing over here (it's 3rd best of the year at the box office film here in the UK).

Quotethose numbers are at best decent, but far from huge success.

That's exactly what I would call these numbers. Decent for the series and rating but it's no runaway train at the box office.

Divpax

Divpax

Quote from: Promethée on Jun 26, 2012, 04:11:39 PM
I'm not one for hankering after pointless sequels... but I'm not sure where you are getting your facts from??? Box office returns are very, very good and the movie has a very healthy A.I from aundiences and critics.

Well, outside of the alien/ridley fanboy sphere let me assure you that a lot of people are tearing the movie apart.

About the numbers i can't tell since i'm not familiar with fox's financial balance, but according to past box office history,

Look at the user rating for imdb and rotten tomatoes, the majority is positive, stop projecting your own dislike and calling it the majority, your opinion is worth no more than anyone elses.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

There really isn't that many people 'tearing it apart'... and as far as box office is concerned - the studio are really only interested in the bottom line i.e. profit. I can assure you that Fox are happy with how well Prometheus is performing and the fact that they are well into very good profit territory now (excluding potential dvd/Blu-Ray sales... and the usual 'back-catalogue' business a new movie brings).

BANE

BANE

Besides, there's still several major markets it hasn't opened in yet theatrically.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Quote from: Divpax on Jun 26, 2012, 04:24:16 PM

Look at the user rating for imdb and rotten tomatoes, the majority is positive, stop projecting your own dislike and calling it the majority, your opinion is worth no more than anyone elses.

It's funny people have been using this argument for almost decades on the INTERNET.
"The Majority" of rotten tomatoes/IMDB is part of the "Minority" on the INTERNET.
I can't think of a friend who vote there or even know its existence and even if I know both of them, I don't vote.  ::)
Those websites mostly concentrates as fan service and infos that any casual wouldn't dare to try searching.
Sure it's not only that, but it's definitely not a "majority" as a whole.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: Le Celticant on Jun 26, 2012, 08:29:12 PM
Quote from: Divpax on Jun 26, 2012, 04:24:16 PM

It's funny people have been using this argument for almost decades on the INTERNET.
"The Majority" of rotten tomatoes/IMDB is part of the "Minority" on the INTERNET.
I can't think of a friend who vote there or even know its existence and even if I know both of them, I don't vote.  ::)
Those websites mostly concentrates as fan service and infos that any casual wouldn't dare to try searching.
Sure it's not only that, but it's definitely not a "majority" as a whole.
I can't speak for IMDB, but Rotten Tomatoes aggregates numerous media/periodical reviews. So whilst it can't guarantee anything in terms of actual quality, it can at least give you a high level review consensus.

KongHyped006

KongHyped006

108million? The movie should be a failure in Fox's eyes. Overseas profit means nothing in terms for sequels. It cost 120 - 130 Budget wise. You gotta make that back in the U.S. Ridley Scott HAS to direct it to. I doubt he has any plans.

Whatever. AvP make 80mil domestic. Lol.

SM

SM

QuoteReally? Holy crap. It seriously did that well? I always thought it bombed massively.

Bombed critically.

Had the benefit of being a cheap production though, thus making it easier to make it's money back.

QuoteIt's funny people have been using this argument for almost decades on the INTERNET.

It's not funny at all.
After box office, those stats on places like IMDB and RT give an overall consensus on how a film was recieved by critics and punters (assuming there's enough votes for it to be legit).  It's somethnig that's quantifiable.

What's funny is people falling back on non-quantifiable anecdotal bullshit like "I didn't like [film x] and neither did my friends, therefore everyone didn't like it".

QuoteOverseas profit means nothing in terms for sequels.

:laugh:
Alien Resurrection says "Hi".

spinksy

spinksy

I still can not beleave people think that overseas profits 'don't matter' -what planet are you people from?!

SM

SM

Don't be too hard.  This forum would be pretty barren if people actually thought rationally before posting...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed