Prometheus Box Office

Started by Spidey3121, Jun 02, 2012, 03:20:19 AM

Author
Prometheus Box Office (Read 151,959 times)

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Let's see how the movie goes next week in the US. I think it could reach 40 or 50 million on the first week since I know a lot of people who are hype for it and it seems like there is a lot of hype on the web too. I hope it reach the number one spot and won't lose to Madagascar 3.

mikehunt

mikehunt

well, let me save some of you 3-4 hours of your life...first some context. Alien was one of the first 'formative' movies I ever saw, it blew me away.  So I have been waiting with breathless excitement for Prometheus, which I was on Friday on its release...and the stories are right..it is no Alien, in fact it is not even Avatar, it is actually right up there with Phantom Menace.

If you really need to see it then go, otherwise save 3-4 hours of your life and do the washing up instead.

JonesTheCat

JonesTheCat

Thanks for that deep and insightful critique.

No doubt potential viewers of Prometheus are selling their tickets as we speak.  ::)

Folks - just see it. It's the only way to be sure. :)

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: JonesTheCat on Jun 03, 2012, 08:32:27 AM
Folks - just see it. It's the only way to be sure. :)
I would suggest this. I still can't get the opening out of my head. It was stunning.

zoidy

zoidy

Quote from: mikehunt on Jun 03, 2012, 08:28:13 AM
well, let me save some of you 3-4 hours of your life...first some context. Alien was one of the first 'formative' movies I ever saw, it blew me away.  So I have been waiting with breathless excitement for Prometheus, which I was on Friday on its release...and the stories are right..it is no Alien, in fact it is not even Avatar, it is actually right up there with Phantom Menace.

If you really need to see it then go, otherwise save 3-4 hours of your life and do the washing up instead.
LOL. Post #1, and what a contribution!

mikehunt

mikehunt

Reading other reviews a lot of poeple have said that it asked them many questions, well, the only questions I had in my head were, 'why has art forsaken cinema'? Why?  Can't art make money in cinema?

And, why did I leave a packed BFI Waterloo cinema in almost total silence, is it that the shattering of dreams creates no sound? 

To be fair to Ridley, he did tell us it was no Alien, but this, Ridley THIS, really? Is this what you want to be remembered for, did you neeed the money that badly?

zoidy

zoidy

Quote from: mikehunt on Jun 03, 2012, 10:55:19 AM
Reading other reviews a lot of poeple have said that it asked them many questions, well, the only questions I had in my head were, 'why has art forsaken cinema'? Why?  Can't art make money in cinema?

And, why did I leave a packed BFI Waterloo cinema in almost total silence, is it that the shattering of dreams creates no sound? 

To be fair to Ridley, he did tell us it was no Alien, but this, Ridley THIS, really? Is this what you want to be remembered for, did you neeed the money that badly?
We all await your next movie masterpiece with anticipation!

In terms of "art", I prefer the opinions of reviewers I respect, such as Drew McWeeny:

QuoteI am still trying to process the almost preposterous degree of artistry that is on display in every frame of "Prometheus," and I guess I wish the script had engaged me to the same degree.

mikehunt

mikehunt

In terms of "art", I prefer the opinions of reviewers I respect, such as Drew McWeeny:

QuoteI am still trying to process the almost preposterous degree of artistry that is on display in every frame of "Prometheus," and I guess I wish the script had engaged me to the same degree.
[/quote]

...and some people think Damien Hirst is a genius, well go and see it and tell me it can be mentioned in the same breath as Alien.

Winkie Bear

Winkie Bear

Quote from: zoidy on Jun 03, 2012, 11:30:36 AM
Quote from: mikehunt on Jun 03, 2012, 10:55:19 AM

We all await your next movie masterpiece with anticipation!

Oh come on.  You don't have to be a film maker to be able to appreciate or criticise (in a positive or negative sense) a movie.

And the universality of Art comes from its very subjectivity. I can appreciate a picture, a piece of music or a film for myself without waiting for a critic to tell me what I should think.  Do you think there is an objective value to a piece of art that only a critic can divine and inform you about??

I'm really getting sick and tired with the backlash against people who have seen the film and formed a negative opinion, calling people whining fanboys and so on.
We are all different, we will all form different opinions. Some of us will disagree.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: ucdom on Jun 03, 2012, 11:39:25 AMI'm really getting sick and tired with the backlash against people who have seen the film and formed a negative opinion, calling people whining fanboys and so on.

There certainly is a small pack of assholes romping about dismissing anyone who didn't like the film as a whining fan. Where did they come from? Are they FOX thugs? ;)

mikehunt

mikehunt

I think there are people who blindly and obsessively follow certain movie styles as a form of life validation exercise and they need to criticise anyone who tells them that the object of their affections may in fact be flawed...but never mind them. 

The fact remains that this film in particular is complete twaddle.  In fact to call it twaddle is to over rate IT and under rate twaddle.

I expect it is pretty safe to assume that everyone on this forum will go and see it as soon as they can, despite any review, so we will all know where the dust will setlle.  Some people, particulry the Phntom Menace types will love this movie, but any one expecting a dark, tortured, elegant film full of ground breaking thought, needs to swiftly move along and re-align their expectations before seeing this film.

SHREK

SHREK

People laughed at me when i said a few months ago that i was disappointed to see that the space jockeys were likely to just be big bald guys, and the people in the film just become zombie-esq from inection. Wish i was wrong but turns out i was right, sorry but Prometheus is just 1 big let down. Kinda hope they just stop with alien and predator franchises now. Theyre just killing the originals. Shame. Im just going to ignore this film and stick with the memories from original alien with the mystery behind what the spacejockey was...some other strange alien being... not just a big white dude playing with spunk in a jar.

Winkie Bear

Winkie Bear

Quote from: SHREK on Jun 03, 2012, 12:02:04 PM
a big white dude playing with spunk in a jar.

You must have weird spunk mate  ;D

james757

james757

Ive been hyping up this film/movie for the past few years. Every day I read a bit on the forums. I was so excitited to see the film. I did have expectations and were they met? Yes and no.

My friend who is no big sci/fi fan actually said ' I was fully engrossed throughout as it had so much going on.' So there we have it is an engrossing film, a blockbuster. I don't disagree with that. It was a fully entertaining film.

There were elements of it that were a bit clunky.

1) The script was a bit all over the place in parts
2) Parts of it didn't make sense
3) More questions than answers
4) It wasn't long enough (but maybe this was to keep the flow going throughout the film)
5) I felt a bit empty after the film - maybe due to the open ended ending. Probably for more sequels. 
6) Pretty much the entire cinema audience left in silence. Through shock?
7) The ending was a bit cliché. Bit like those crappy teen slasher endings.

Basically it was an excellent film, certainly one of the best Ive seen in a few years. I can't compare it to 'the avengers' as it was a different type of film. Me personally I am biased towards Prometheus and quite rightly so.

It will do well in the box office I think. It was very visual, the space jockey worked suprisingly well considering.

mikehunt

mikehunt

I have come to the conclusion that Dan O'Bannon's influence on Alien must have been quite a bit greater than usually acknowledged!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed