Human Tech?

Started by Shadow, May 28, 2012, 05:28:54 PM

Author
Human Tech? (Read 3,867 times)

Shadow

Shadow

i could not find any post about this. but are there any explanation as for why everything on prometheus feels more high-tech, despite being set prior to alien?. is this just a case of using modern movie effects to make something more flashy, or are there reasons for technology to go backwards in Alien and forth? i mean, look at those holo-screens, they didn't have that on briefing in Aliens or even less Alien Ressurection which is even further into the future. and those laser scanning orbs that makes it feel like something Scar could throw out in avp, the colonial marines could have had good use of these...

thoughts?

Infected

Infected

Its like the colonial marine helmet they used used ones,
probably when they were on Prometheus they would have new ones.
Why? because it wasnt used yet. -trolface-

Valaquen

Valaquen

Because Ridley said he'd rather put a gun in his mouth than do another grungy sci-fi movie. It's been discussed ad infinitum.  It makes sense that the Nostromo is an old bucket ship, and as for the Colonial Marines... must've been a recession ;)

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Up to a point it can be explained when leveled with Alien. The Nostromo was an older ship beating around for decades. Prometheus was a state of the art, highly expensive science and research ship. It would need the very very best and cutting edge.

When dealing with Aliens, which takes place 57 years after Alien, it becomes harder to explain away the advanced tech of Prometheus.

So, don't try. Just realize that Prometheus is most likely it's own beast.

Shadow

Shadow

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 28, 2012, 05:36:22 PM
Up to a point it can be explained when leveled with Alien. The Nostromo was an older ship beating around for decades. Prometheus was a state of the art, highly expensive science and research ship. It would need the very very best and cutting edge.

When dealing with Aliens, which takes place 57 years after Alien, it becomes harder to explain away the advanced tech of Prometheus.

So, don't try. Just realize that Prometheus is most likely it's own beast.

so in a way Alien makes sence with prometheus, while Aliens don't. Aliens does however make sence with Alien. Ressurection don't make any sence at all with prometheus tho, being even further in. however, technology might have ceased to advance very much at that age, something like a dark age of technological backlash. dunno, maybe i'm just stupid :P

zuzuki

zuzuki

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 28, 2012, 05:36:22 PM

It doesn't make sense even in regard to alien. If the ship in aAlien was decades old, this would mean it was built around the same time as the Prometheus vessel. Even if they don't have all the state of the art laboratories, they would still have the same navigations systems and computers. The best way for to explain it is that it would look really bad for a morvie that is released now to feature tehnology as envisioned in the 80's. Monochrome, big bulky computer screens? Tons of led's on computers that are big as a wall. Even if geeks would like the consistency with the first movie, 99% of the audience today would laugh their ass off

Valaquen

Valaquen

Even if the Prometheus and Nostromo were built in the same year, they weren't built for the same function. You won't find the same tech on a Space X shuttle as you would on a coble. I think the insinuation in Alien was that the Nostromo was a good few decades old, or older. The older movies take us to the dingiest corners of the universe. But no, not everything will match up.

Qwertify

Qwertify

Someone posted a very nice list about how all the older tech in Alien has either health benefits or increased durability. You know - despite looking a lot less sophisticated compared to Prometheus. That and Prom is a state of the art vessel. Its like comparing an old apple computer to a new dell - the apple still looks nicer (big fan of dell ntl).

Infected

Infected

spared no expense!!!

Like some old guy once said in a theme park.

An oil rigg is probably build from the lowest cost stuff but durable( wich means the crew could maybe die from the stuff its made off ;))
Prometheus is made from the best of the best,
even now the Star Wars space battles in Return of the Jedi still look better then the space battles in Revenge of the Sith.
or the moddeling still looks better in Aliens then cgi in Resurrection and AVP+2
My point issss dunno what my point was. :)

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

It's what happens when Ridley Scott gets given a big budget to spend on shiny new toys. :)

The guy's an artist. He doesn't really care about the consequences of trying to keep within a chronology, just so long as his latest canvas ends up looking good. Understandable, from that point of view.

Cameron was always more of a technical guy and would have been more likely to try and make it fit into the existing continuity, technology-wise.

With all that said, I still say that this should have been one of the primary reasons for them to have made this a sequel, rather than a prequel.

Snark

Snark

This type of issue has always been going on. Think of Star Trek Enterprise and Star Trek The Original series. Enterprise takes place before the original series but looks more advanced.

In this case I agree with the others that say since the Prometheus is the newest, top of the line ship, the looks make sense compared to the Nostromo.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Shadow on May 28, 2012, 05:28:54 PMis this just a case of using modern movie effects to make something more flashy
I think this is the main reason

RustiSwordz

RustiSwordz

Nostromo: Tug, working ship. Designed like a flying JCB. Gonna get filthy dirty fast.

Sulaco: Military ship, simple, functional yet clean and orderly. Military.

Prometheus: Top of the line science vessel, the Alien Universe equivalent of the Enterprise. The latest gear, best tech very shiny, still looks like Serenity.

Shadow

Shadow

Quote from: RustiSwordz on May 29, 2012, 08:29:16 AM
Nostromo: Tug, working ship. Designed like a flying JCB. Gonna get filthy dirty fast.

Sulaco: Military ship, simple, functional yet clean and orderly. Military.

Prometheus: Top of the line science vessel, the Alien Universe equivalent of the Enterprise. The latest gear, best tech very shiny, still looks like Serenity.

yeh, logical. i guess we just have to assume it's for reasons like this.

i guess we also can assume the science ship in Ressurection was a older model, and the fact that they where not entirely legal made their budget on the ship alot more limited?

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Looks like Serenity? Have you seen the interiors of the Serenity? Talk about cheap shit! It's awful. There is no comparison.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed