Who thinks too much is being shown here?

Started by 9th_Stew, May 23, 2012, 07:56:06 AM

Author
Who thinks too much is being shown here? (Read 3,448 times)

9th_Stew

I haven't looked at all at the promotional Vids n im probs in the wrong but the comments which flow afterwards is Major spoilers this and spoilers here...

Do you guys think these ads are showing too much of the film?

OpenMaw

I think its a matter of what they show, and not how much. So far, even with everything i've seen, I can't tell you how the movie plays out exactly, or what the ending is going to be like even a little bit.

With other movies i've been able to piece it together pretty solidly. (AVP I pretty much knew going in what was going to happen with pretty accurate detail).

Gash

I've definitely avoided stuff over the last week or so as I've felt that we are moving from intrigue and wild speculation based on the first trailers to unsanctioned pieces that appear to be to too revealing, and the thread based around the BBFC is pretty much the final straw. I may withdraw from the Prometheus section altogether for a while as thread titles are starting to be revealing in themselves. Bad sports.

I'm glad I'm accustomed to the idea of what the jockey is, but beyond that I want most of the story to be fresh and visually new to me.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: 9th_Stew on May 23, 2012, 07:56:06 AMDo you guys think these ads are showing too much of the film?

Hard to know until we see it, but I would say yes. Major plot points have been revealed in the trailers alone, let alone the TV spots. I am just hoping that what we have seen is a fraction of what the movie contains.

whiterabbit

It's hard to tell since Ridley claims the surprise is in the story. It would have to be one hell of a surprise though, that ancient astronaut stuff ain't going to do it.

szkoki

Eva's topic would enlighten you if you would try to write there that how much you really dont know about the story ;)

Valaquen

The missus and I were interviewed for STV a few days ago to discuss Prometheus and the host told us that Fox didn't give them any new footage or let them see the film beforehand, which he said was an anomaly. Apparently, we're not really being shown the real good stuff. Red herrings, perhaps? Ridley also told the host that the last act couldn't have been accomplished even a few years ago.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Valaquen on May 23, 2012, 01:38:10 PMApparently, we're not really being shown the real good stuff. Red herrings, perhaps?

Yes please, red herrings. The redder and herring'er the better. :D

Xenomorphine

Only the people who freeze-frame it for meticulous analysis are going to have realised even a fraction of the things spoken about in great detail here. :) Most casual viewers I've spoken to aren't even aware of it being linked to 'Alien', regardless of the derelict ship design being there.

Deuterium

I am not putting this in a Spoiler, since it is now common knowledge.

I think the SINGLE most insipid, bone-headed move by the studio/trailer people, is actually showing the Prometheus crashing into the Juggernaut!   WHY did they feel the need to show their cards...WHY!!!  This should have remained a complete surprise.   >:( >:(

Vickers Valiant

I agree with you on that (and the glimpses of Shaw giving birth). Those are the two major scenes that I believe shouldn't have been added in the trailers.

RagingDragon

Quote from: Valaquen on May 23, 2012, 01:38:10 PM
The missus and I were interviewed for STV a few days ago to discuss Prometheus and the host told us that Fox didn't give them any new footage or let them see the film beforehand, which he said was an anomaly. Apparently, we're not really being shown the real good stuff. Red herrings, perhaps? Ridley also told the host that the last act couldn't have been accomplished even a few years ago.

*Discreetly maneuvers erection down between legs*

This made me real giddy, and is so great to hear especially coming from you, Val: a man of such taste, a man I can trust!

And I'm with you, Deut and VickyVale...  don't have a clue in the slightest why they showed the collision.  I would say to appeal to the Michael-Bay-giant-action-set-piece audience, who are used to huge SPLOSIONS! but the rest of the movie certainly looks exciting enough to me. :-\

Maybe they thought it was too small in scale/slow looking to appeal to the great unwashed? :laugh:

Valaquen

Quote from: Deuterium on May 23, 2012, 02:49:12 PM

I think the SINGLE most insipid, bone-headed move by the studio/trailer people, is actually showing the Prometheus crashing into the Juggernaut!   WHY did they feel the need to show their cards...WHY!!!  This should have remained a complete surprise.   >:( >:(
Ditto, I didn't need to see the fate of the Prometheus ship and (some of) its crew in the freakin' trailer  :-\

Ooze on First

Quote from: Deuterium on May 23, 2012, 02:49:12 PM

Agree 100%...
That's the only spoiler that really bothers me...and it's in the main trailer.
This has to be the studio's doing...so they can show some 'splosions.

RoyaleDuke

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 23, 2012, 08:07:26 AM
I think its a matter of what they show, and not how much. So far, even with everything i've seen, I can't tell you how the movie plays out exactly, or what the ending is going to be like even a little bit.

With other movies i've been able to piece it together pretty solidly. (AVP I pretty much knew going in what was going to happen with pretty accurate detail).

Exactly I can barely speculate on what actually happens, it's all so brilliantly confusing.

So many movies these days I can pretty much predict the entire plot before even seeing it, but with Prometheus(as it was with Alien when I first watched it) the whole sequence of events is still shrouded in mystery. I love it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed