Prometheus soundtrack on iTunes!

Started by Glaive, May 15, 2012, 08:03:29 AM

Author
Prometheus soundtrack on iTunes! (Read 55,935 times)

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: fiveways on May 16, 2012, 06:34:53 PM
"Noise" and "music" are identical phrase in my mind.  I value and view them as the same thing.

Much of the "music" I love is "noise" to most people.

That's cool, fiveways.  I am definitely more of a classicist/romanticist...whereas you perhaps are more of an avant gardist /experimentalist / modernist.

I prefer my Rachmaninoff, Chopin, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Schubert, etc.

You may prefer Stravinsky, Schoenberg, Penderecki, etc.

That is what makes the world go 'round.  It's all good, mate.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Dear god people, you can love both styles :P They actually compliment each other very nicely. Even uber-Romanticist Goldsmith loved mixing some avant garde technique against his sweeping romanticism.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Cvalda on May 16, 2012, 07:00:51 PM
Dear god people, you can love both styles :P They actually compliment each other very nicely. Even uber-Romanticist Goldsmith loved mixing some avant garde technique against his sweeping romanticism.

AVANTE GARDE!

Those two words make me have a torrettes fit. I don't know why. I just start yelling random things when I see those words.

To be fair though, even Goldsmith didn't score the film "right" according to the producers/editors, and they had to use bits from his other scores. They fiddled with what he originally composed, and he had to do a whole new opener as I recall.

So I think there is some truth to the idea that the weirder stuff shouldn't be too... Lush, it should be more ethereal, weird, and abstract.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: Cvalda on May 16, 2012, 07:00:51 PM

I do like some "avant garde" composers.  I love Debussy.  I also am fond of a lot of Stravinsky's work.

I don't mind the mixing and combination of styles.  It is just when a composition slants heavily in favor of atonal, dissonance and noise, at the expense of melodic and harmonic content, that I part ways.  Again, just my personal preference and opinion.

Edit:  ^  oops, sorry OpenMaw, I may have just caused you to have another seizure.   ;D

Cvalda

Cvalda

What do you think of the score for ALIEN 3, Deuterium?

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: Deuterium on May 16, 2012, 06:58:28 PM
Quote from: fiveways on May 16, 2012, 06:34:53 PM
"Noise" and "music" are identical phrase in my mind.  I value and view them as the same thing.

Much of the "music" I love is "noise" to most people.

That's cool, fiveways.  I am definitely more of a classicist/romanticist...whereas you perhaps are more of an avant gardist /experimentalist / modernist.

I prefer my Rachmaninoff, Chopin, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Schubert, etc.

You may prefer Stravinsky, Schoenberg, Penderecki, etc.

That is what makes the world go 'round.  It's all good, mate.

More like Stockhausen, Babbit, vladimir ussachevsky, and that school of things.  I like some 12 tone as well, but for me stuff really picks up post wwII.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: Cvalda on May 16, 2012, 07:15:28 PM
What do you think of the score for ALIEN 3, Deuterium?

I like it very much.  Very evocative...which nicely complements the somber tone of the film.

Quote from: fiveways on May 16, 2012, 07:21:48 PM
More like Stockhausen, Babbit, vladimir ussachevsky, and that school of things.  I like some 12 tone as well, but for me stuff really picks up post wwII.

YIKES !!  You really are hard-core.   ;D ;)

Even with "modern" composers, I still prefer those compositions featuring a strong melodic structure.  If the composer also happens to be a virtuoso, all the better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_mQiL19XmI#ws

RagingDragon

I just want to mention this, because it seems to be totally ignored...

In my opinion, you risk looking like a big ass if you pass final judgment on a movie score without even seeing the movie it was scored for.

Alien3, without the film, is at times staggeringly beautiful, and at other times a total chaotic mess.  I mean it's a basic thing to say, but there's just so much talk of disapproval when we don't even know how the film will feel or how the score will work with it.

Blade Runner is the same.  It's amazing music by itself, but it fits the film like a glove.  I don't think it would work with any other film, and if I could've heard it before I'd seen Blade Runner, it would've seemed very strange indeed. 

I think that's more important than judging it as some stand-alone piece of music.  It has to work with the vision and theme of the film, first.

An example that always comes to mind is Terminator: Salvation.  That score was one I consider very underwhelming, especially considering the ridiculous composer they choose for it (Elfman, really?) but when listened to by itself, I actually really like it.  I just don't think does anything for the film.  Most of the time as I watched it, I could barely remember any music at all.

/Two cents.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: RagingDragon on May 16, 2012, 08:31:45 PM
In my opinion, you risk looking like a big ass if you pass final judgment on a movie score without even seeing the movie it was scored for.
No. You can judge a standalone soundtrack album on its musical merits just fine without seeing the film it's written for. If it's good, it shouldn't need a cognitive association in your head with the scene it's written for to be enjoyed or appreciated.

Alien3, without the film, is at times staggeringly beautiful, and at other times a totally chaotic masterwork.
Fixed.

escroto

escroto

Quote from: RagingDragon on May 16, 2012, 08:31:45 PMAlien3, without the film, is at times staggeringly beautiful, and at other times a total chaotic mess.  I mean it's a basic thing to say, but there's just so much talk of disapproval when we don't even know how the film will feel or how the score will work with it.
I guess It is unquestionable that the best bso in the alien franchise was the one of alien3.

Alienseseses

Listening to "Friend from the Past"... it has the Alien theme in it, which is pretty frikking cool to me.

RagingDragon

Ehh, it's a film score.  I mean, it's not meant to be listened to like a classical movement.  It can work, sure, but it flows according to the drama on the screen, not according to how it sounds as a piece itself.

I don't think it's fair to a score to judge it thusly.  That's not its' purpose, which is to compliment and/or enhance a film.

Some of Alien3 is straight ear-grating, anxious, and plain awful.  It's supposed to be, because people are being murder-death-killed on screen.  Listening to apart from this, though, can be off-putting.  I've had many of my friends give me WTF face when these parts start playing. :laugh:

But let's keep it real: Alien3 is truly one of a kind.  The original Alien score is also great, but Goldenthal got crazy with A3 so much that it stands out to this day.

Kind of another dynamic to this whole debate...  A3 is not your average score.  It's actually my all-time hands down favorite behind Khatchaturian's Gayane "Adagio," which isn't a score itself but was used heavily in several films.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: RagingDragon on May 16, 2012, 08:45:52 PM
Some of Alien3 is straight ear-grating, anxious, and plain awful.  It's supposed to be, because people are being murder-death-killed on screen.  Listening to apart from this, though, can be off-putting.  I've had many of my friends give me WTF face when these parts start playing. :laugh:
To hell with them.

RagingDragon

That's what happened.  Why you think I'm on here so much? :laugh:

You people are better.

Alienseseses

Listening to this soundtrack, I could completely see these tracks getting inserted into Alien. They feel part of the same cloth as that score, and it's very haunting. Particularly Friend from the Past and Weyland. I can't wait to see how this works in the film.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed