Randy Pitchford Talks Aliens: Colonial Marines

Started by ikarop, May 04, 2012, 08:12:31 PM

Author
Randy Pitchford Talks Aliens: Colonial Marines (Read 43,116 times)

Ash 937

I can't think of any reason why the storyline should take us to Fury 161.  But then again, if someone announced that any new Aliens game was being released tomorrow, I wouldn't expect it to logically take us back to LV-426 again either.  But that's what we are getting...so who knows if Fury will be there or not.

Predaker

Maybe they will use it as a multiplayer map, if Fury 161 is not in the campaign. Like Barringer mentioned. ;)

Ash 937

Quote from: Predaker on May 15, 2012, 04:01:16 PM
Maybe they will use it as a multiplayer map, if Fury 161 is not in the campaign. Like Barringer mentioned. ;)

And that's really all I am hoping for.  Plus, if GBX really did consult with Fincher on this then they should at least make a mulitplayer map out of the insight they acquired. 

As others pointed out, it isn't everyday that Fincher comes out to discuss Alien3.  Just like how they are using Syd Mead's blueprints for the Sulaco to reconstruct parts of the ship that were never filmed, I think that GBX should take the same approach with Fury 161.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Considering their open resent towards Alien 3 I doubt they will show any love for Fury 161 like that.

escroto

Quote from: Ash 937 on May 15, 2012, 04:10:56 PM
Quote from: Predaker on May 15, 2012, 04:01:16 PM

And that's really all I am hoping for.  Plus, if GBX really did consult with Fincher on this then they should at least make a mulitplayer map out of the insight they acquired. 

As others pointed out, it isn't everyday that Fincher comes out to discuss Alien3.  Just like how they are using Syd Mead's blueprints for the Sulaco to reconstruct parts of the ship that were never filmed, I think that GBX should take the same approach with Fury 161.
ya same here, hoping for alien MP too. All I'd like to ask GB If I had the chance is to not make It as bright as It was in avp2. There was an amazing custom alien3 map for avp2 featured in the ump2 also. Can't remember the name exactly but It was similar to the original but with extra rooms, friggin' dark, and quite a big lag in some certain locations too because of the size.

That was one of the things that bugged me the most about avp2. Too much light man, and I hope GB goes something similar to doom3, critical for the atmosphere, and more If those space tiny toons fail that much at being scary, among other things because of the size, and also their f**king new sounds. Sometimes sound like frogs when dying man. They suck and fail big time both

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on May 15, 2012, 04:25:44 PM
Considering their open resent towards Alien 3 I doubt they will show any love for Fury 161 like that.
I don't think they resent alien3 so much as there is nothing really there for them to adapt into the game campaign. The main influence comes from ALIENS and their main focus appears to be the colonial marines above all else.

It seemed to me that it was the various people conducting these interviews that mention alien3, which illicited forced smiles from Randy or one of the dev team. Alien3 can be a touchy subject for many fans, as I am sure they are aware. It was probably not the wisest choice of words for him to say they will make alien3 better, but honestly I don't think he meant any harm by it. He was just trying to pump up the game because parts of it intend to solidfy the continuity between ALIENS and Alien3. They didn't openly bash the movie, they are just trying to portray the game in a good light. Poor choice of words, perhaps, but not hating on Alien3. ;)

Edit: When Angry Joe started bashing on Alien3, the dev in that interview probably couldn't do much more than bite his tongue, smile and nod. It wouldn't look good for them to be argumentative about something petty during any interview involving the game, regardless of who is right or wrong.

Mechafist

Will we be seeing Morse in this game?The Company took him from fury 161...
Maybe they use him as a host in A:CM  :P

Xenomrph

They didn't resent the whole movie, they mentioned legitimate problems with the opening to the movie. Between the facehugger(s) out of nowhere and killing off Hicks and Newt in the first 3 minutes, the movie didn't do a whole lot to endear itself to audiences, especially those who'd enjoyed 'Aliens'.

'Alien3' is my favorite Alien movie and even I am able to recognize that it's got significant problems.

Predaker

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 15, 2012, 07:44:16 PM
They didn't resent the whole movie, they mentioned legitimate problems with the opening to the movie. Between the facehugger(s) out of nowhere and killing off Hicks and Newt in the first 3 minutes, the movie didn't do a whole lot to endear itself to audiences, especially those who'd enjoyed 'Aliens'.

'Alien3' is my favorite Alien movie and even I am able to recognize that it's got significant problems.
Really, it only has a few problems when viewed as a sequel to ALIENS. As a stand alone movie, I think Alien3 was superb.

When you connect it to ALIENS, that's where things get touchy. Newt and Hicks die, for example. Also the mystery of the egg on the Sulaco. No explanation was given, and that type of mystery did not add to the alien universe like the space jockey did. The egg mystery did more harm than good by weakening the continuity of the franchise.

Alien3 might not have given everyone what they wanted (more colonial marines), but it was still an awesome movie. Alien:Res was a B rated movie though, and the franchise deserved better than that.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 15, 2012, 07:44:16 PM

I know, the movie got problems and it is indeed flawed, which is one of the things that makes it great, which is something that Pitchford & Co don't seem to grasp as they ridiculously claim their 'canon' video game will fix those flaws and make a 'better' movie (!). They have no clue what they're talking about. Stuff like that alienate them from a large portion of the Alien fan-base and don't make you trust them really as they seem no better than IMDB Aliens fanboys.

Why can't they just act a little professional and keep it to themselves?

Oh I know why, they want to portray themselves as fellow bros and Aliens fans hoping that we will identify and like them enough to buy five copies each when the game comes out... "Huh huh, Alien 3 suxors, worst movie evurrh *nudge nudge*... Gimme five bra'!"

Xenomrph

But that's not what they're doing at all, especially since they didn't say Alien3 sucks. ???

As mentioned, they pointed out significant flaws - the mystery egg out of nowhere is a flaw, and it's one that has bothered both fans and casual audiences for literally two decades now. Addressing it in some fashion isn't a bad thing. It's not like they're going to retcon out Hicks' death and have him blasting away Aliens or something.

QuoteStuff like that alienate them from a large portion of the Alien fan-base
Considering the current results of the "ACM & canon" thread poll, it looks like more people support them than don't. It didn't matter what they did, something would alienate some of the fan-base. That's the nature of fandom, it's completely unavoidable. 'Aliens' alienated some of the fandom of 'Alien' (you're an example, too). 'Alien3' alienated some of the fandom of 'Aliens'. Colonial Marines is bound to not satisfy everyone, but it's not like they're retconning Alien3 out of existence. They're fixing an actual problem with the movie.

escroto

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on May 15, 2012, 08:09:10 PMOh I know why, they want to portray themselves as fellow bros and Aliens fans hoping that we will identify and like them enough to buy five copies each when the game comes out... "Huh huh, Alien 3 suxors, worst movie evurrh *nudge nudge*... Gimme five bra'!"
that without even mention what the problems he's are talking about with alien3 are. The two eggs mystery? ROFLMAO

Pitchford has always had pros and cons. His pros have always been how excited, to the point he behaves like a kid when promoting his stuff at GB becomes. I guess there can be opinions on about this, but to me that has always been a good sign coming from a human being whoever he/she is. That simply proves he is at least exicted about what he's doing wheter the game ends up being another steaming pile of horse dung like avp2010 or not.

The con obviously is he talk too much, and ends up screwing things up. Yes, I'm talking about a big mouth. He clearly said that stupid thing in a clear call for arms of the "Aliens" radical fanboy base. Yes, those who wonder about egg mysteries in alien3 and elusive facehuggers aboard sulaco without even thinking there was a queen in aliens there ROFL.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt till I got my hands on this product, for now, just shut up Randy when talking about things you don't even understand, and focus on speaking about ACM only ;)

Xenomrph

QuoteYes, those who wonder about egg mysteries in alien3 and elusive facehuggers aboard sulaco without even thinking there was a queen in aliens there ROFL.
That's one of the better explanations, but it's far from airtight. The biggest problem in the movie was the egg's placement - how did it get affixed to the underside of a table or something? It would have been a non-issue if the movie had the egg attached to the landing strut of the dropship or something (the Alien3 bluray does this, incidentally).
The official FOX line when 'Alien3' came out was literally "the audience isn't supposed to ask about the egg and where it came from". I'm not making that up.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 15, 2012, 08:20:26 PM
But that's not what they're doing at all, especially since they didn't say Alien3 sucks. ???

As mentioned, they pointed out significant flaws - the mystery egg out of nowhere is a flaw, and it's one that has bothered both fans and casual audiences for literally two decades now. Addressing it in some fashion isn't a bad thing. It's not like they're going to retcon out Hicks' death and have him blasting away Aliens or something.

QuoteStuff like that alienate them from a large portion of the Alien fan-base
Considering the current results of the "ACM & canon" thread poll, it looks like more people support them than don't. It didn't matter what they did, something would alienate some of the fan-base. That's the nature of fandom, it's completely unavoidable. 'Aliens' alienated some of the fandom of 'Alien' (you're an example, too). 'Alien3' alienated some of the fandom of 'Aliens'. Colonial Marines is bound to not satisfy everyone, but it's not like they're retconning Alien3 out of existence. They're fixing an actual problem with the movie.

I know that I sound pretty melodramatic at times. What I was trying to say here was that when you are a game developer and you're dealing with a franchise with a very diverse fan base - diverse in the sense when it comes to what the fans like about the movie(s) - you better behave. There is no need to belittle, patronize or talk shit about Alien 3 or A:R. That's just lame.

Ash 937

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 15, 2012, 08:40:11 PMThe biggest problem in the movie was the egg's placement - how did it get affixed to the underside of a table or something? It would have been a non-issue if the movie had the egg attached to the landing strut of the dropship or something (the Alien3 bluray does this, incidentally).

Do you mean to say that there is an entirely different shot of the egg on-board the Sulaco for the blu-ray edition of Alien3???

I don't own a blu-ray player so this would be news to me.  Do you have a pic of this shot?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed