SFX Magazine & L'écran Fantastique (April/May 2012) [French]

Started by NGR01, Apr 27, 2012, 09:54:35 PM

Author
SFX Magazine & L'écran Fantastique (April/May 2012) [French] (Read 57,330 times)

NGR01

NGR01

French magazine SFX has 3 great interviews with Arthur Max, Conor O'Sullivan prosthetics supervisor and Visual effect supervisor Richard Stammers. Each interview are 3 full pages, no spoilers per se but very interresting material.
I have not bought but i remember the most important stuff.

Arthur Max :
The Prometheus was designed by Steve Burg and Ben Procter.
The Prometheus is composed of independant parts that can separate from the main body if needed (Vickers area is a skif/ship by itself) doubt it will cometo play in the movie tho...
The approach to the Engineers tech was to take the Giger look but make it more mechnical than bio by adding an obvious metal feel. Engineers are partly inspired by the persian civilisation.

Richard Stammers Visual effect supervisor :
Weta is doing all the xeno like creatures.
There were sculptures on set so the actors can react but those monsters will be full cgi.
Weta also did the rise of the pilot chair sequence.
They used model kits from the market to help them remake the pilot chair.
The Juggernaut is full CGI, it has been re-designed by Steve Messing.
The original derelict was not detailed enough they had to recreate them, GUTALIN was hired to for that, his Gigerian but yet more mechanical style was perfect for the look they wanted.
At first it was tought it would be necessarry to use models for the colision and crash but after seeing the Yatch scene from xmen first class (???) he decided to go full cgi.
When Scott visits MPC, he doesnt stay in the reunion room but go check the cgi artists themselves, giving input or modification on the spot.

Conor O'Sullivan prosthetics supervisor :
The Engineer and his suit have been designed by Nevil Page.
He has a very symitrical face wich enchance his alieness even if he is humanoid.
At first Scott was not sure that prosthetics could achieve teh level of details he wanted.
Conor told him they use now a great technique that has remarkable results (there is a long explanation of what it is in the interview). At first Connor made a test, he sculpted the Engineer's head, then animated the eyes by cgi.
It was part of the showreel Scott showed Fox to get the greenlight.
The Enginneer is not a full suit but is made of many many many prosthetic parts from head to toes.
Ian Whyte played the Engineer for all the scene with the humans (wich take place in the second part of the movie), when Engineer(s) are alone it's normally sized actors.
For the closeups Ian Whyte face did not worked, they could not get the look they wanted so they used the "normal" actors wich have been also chosen because of their face.
One scene got Connor a bit nervous because the Engineer is almost fully naked.
He was not sure the thin material would resist the shoot, he explain how they did it and says how much it looks good on screen. Ian Whyte had a 32 days shoot, they had to replace the suit every 3 days.
He end up saying that he's really happy how the character feel alive on screen.
That he is not a special effect but a living and breathing and frightening creature.
Oh he also talks about an aging makeup of one of the characters (guess who ^^) wich has to be done faster than usual because the actor was cast a few weeks near the shooting.

Probably forgot some stuff but i think all the juicy details are there ;)

mastermoon

mastermoon

Wow thats great info NGR01 ;D.

Could hardly wait to see the Space Jockies.

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

Wow, thanks, that are some pretty interesting details, and I like what I'm hearing.

NGR01

NGR01

You re welcome mates ;)

From what i got of the interview, there is only one living Engineer the human crew encounter.
Wich works with the survivor from an alien race thing we've heard from recent interview.
If we see more than one Engineer on screen it seems that it will be only in those hologram scenes.

Kev Loaf

Kev Loaf

Quote from: Lord Freezer on Apr 09, 2012, 05:52:04 PM
He is pretty scary. I hope he will crush the head of David!  ;D

http://4put.ru/pictures/max/285/876765.gif

thats f**king badass.

check out the size of his eyes :0

mastermoon

mastermoon

Quote from: NGR01 on Apr 27, 2012, 10:06:19 PM
Quote from: mastermoon on Apr 27, 2012, 09:59:23 PM
Wow thats great info NGR01 ;D.

Could hardly wait to see the Space Jockies.

You welcome mate ;)

From what i got of the interview, there is only one living Engineer the human crew encounter.
Wich works with the survivor from an alien race thing we've heard from recent interview.
If we see more than one Engineer on screen it seems that it will be only in those hologram scenes.

So we will see one living Engineer, makes me wonder how many we will see in the hologram?.

I like the story to Prometheus about the Space Jockey better then the comics. Remember "Aliens: The Destroying Angels" in that comic the aliens caused the species to become virtually extinct 1.6 billion years ago.

NGR01

NGR01

I think four. Like the sarcophgis in the Orrery room.
3 will die from chestbursting creatures, the 4th one is the survivor the human crew will meet.
As for the origin of the disaster on LV423, all leads to xeno infestation.

If LV423 is just a waystation for Engineers, i wonder if their homeworld and race still exist.

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

My copy of SFX arrives in a day or two

ikarop

ikarop

QuoteGUTALIN was hired to for that, his Gigerian but yet more mechanical style was perfect for the look they wanted.

Seriously?! Gutalin? So damn happy to hear this.

NGR01

NGR01

Yep Gutalin is named by Stammer in the interview ;)
Must have been a dream come true for him.

Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Apr 27, 2012, 10:25:20 PM
My copy of SFX arrives in a day or two

Very interesting read you will see.
Martin Rezard told me he has been interviewed for the next issue.
It should be very interesting because SFX will have acess to some nice materials.
Can't wait for the cinefex tho ^^

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

I love French SFX magazine, I try to buy it every month these days, and I'm excited about Prometheus edition of L'Ecran Fantastique Hors-Serie that comes out tomorrow and I'll get by mail order a week later.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: NGR01 on Mar 19, 2012, 04:00:45 PM
Maybe the ALIEN space jockey, was also infected at the same moment but managed to flee the planet in the Derelict and
crashed on LV426.

It's been confirmed that the derelict in Alien landed. It did not crash.

xii22loop

xii22loop

persian civilisation inspiration from Arthur Max?  No offence to Persia or human civilization, but come on, could an alien species not be inspired by something human. That was what was so good about Giger, his stuff is bio organic looking it looks completely non-human, completely alien, the floors in the original Derelict didn't even look like anything humanoid was made to walk on them

Zenzucht

Zenzucht

Weta for visual effects? #1 CGI.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Quote from: NGR01 on Apr 27, 2012, 10:23:28 PM
I think four. Like the sarcophgis in the Orrery room.
3 will die from chestbursting creatures, the 4th one is the survivor the human crew will meet.
As for the origin of the disaster on LV423, all leads to xeno infestation.

If LV423 is just a waystation for Engineers, i wonder if their homeworld and race still exist.

I'd be suprised to see anything from the original film in this one... including chest-bursters!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed