Happy Birthday David (New Prometheus Viral)

Started by shamash, Apr 17, 2012, 09:33:18 AM

Author
Happy Birthday David (New Prometheus Viral) (Read 62,552 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: shamash on Apr 17, 2012, 12:47:56 PM

Credit to viscal @ www.prometheusforum.net

Oh man, this is getting better and better!

ChrisPachi

Hang about... he thinks about robots!? Oh shit, he's bolted. We are all doomed! ;)

Fight for robots rights, before they do.

chupacabras acheronsis

where can i order one?

escroto

Sigglas

Amazing! Love the music too!

First Blood

Okay that was f**king great.

escroto

Can somebody stop the video right at "1:09" and tell me that "hieroglyphic" (sorry, I don't know how to name that "painting or just drawing) doesn't resemble Giger'salien mural on the roof of the temple?

ikarop

Original article: http://mashable.com/2012/04/17/prometheus-david-ad/

QuoteFox is also putting a full-page advertisement for David in The Wall Street Journal.

shamash

shamash

I just realized i didn't get a credit on the news part for finding it first  :(

Shasvre

A great video. :)

Samus007

100% pure awesome! Love the viral campaign for this movie so far.

SpaceMarines

That was fantastic. Gave me chills. If anyone could have possibly doubted Fassbender in this before, there's no way they can now.

Vickers

Wow!  Guys, if there was ever any doubt, Prometheus is going to be huge.

Deuterium

Quote from: tmjhur on Apr 17, 2012, 11:33:11 AM
"I can carry out directives that my human counterparts might find distressing.....or immoral" :laugh: :'( :-* :-\ :-X :-[ :P :P ::) ::) ???

Yeah, I found that statement to be a bit too FRIGGIN' OBVIOUS.  Not sure why the writer(s) decided to include that remark.  They might as well have given David a handlebar moustache so he could twirl one of the ends, while he said the line.  While this doesn't necessarily mean that Fassbender's David will do something "unethical" or immoral, in the film...the inclusion of this statement equates to hitting the viewer over the head with a mallet.  Not very subtle.

Furthermore, this viral video is based upon the conceit that this is an actual advertisement for the David 8 line of androids.  Why exactly would Weyland let it's customer's (and the world) know that their androids could potentially perform unethical and potentially illegal acts...even if it were true.  I can't see how that would benefit the Weyland Corp.  If anything, it opens up the door for catastrophic legal liability.

Finally, it seems a bit puzzling and inconsistent, that a fully sentient, conscious and self-aware android wouldn't also experience emotional states. In the video, David makes it clear that while he can "understand" emotion, he doesn't feel emotion.  We also see him crying.  So are we to assume that this is just a "programmed" reaction to mimic human behavior, so as to make him appear empathetic to humans?

Also, at the very end of the video, there appears to be a contradiction.  The Weyland acronym for these androids is "TIPE", standing for:  Technological, Intellectual, Physical, Emotional

LarsVader

Quote from: Deuterium on Apr 17, 2012, 02:27:54 PM
Also, at the very end of the video, there appears to be a contradiction.  The Weyland acronym for these androids is "TIPE", standing for:  Technological, Intellectual, Physical, Emotional
Him appearing/reacting emotional doesn't necesserly mean that he does feel emotions.

I think you are perfectly right with this:
QuoteSo are we to assume that this is just a "programmed" reaction to mimic human behavior, so as to make him appear empathetic to humans?
But I guess this concept will evolve and be further dealt with in the movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed