Prometheus: Alien Universe or Mass Effect Universe

Started by Omega1, Apr 14, 2012, 09:04:40 AM

Author
Prometheus: Alien Universe or Mass Effect Universe (Read 26,860 times)

ThisBethesdaSea

who's that hot guy Ridley's standing with?

Secondly....yes, there are similarities...as there are bound to be similarities with just about anything. I CERTAINLY get an ALIEN universe, while at the same time feel like everything is fresh, colorful and different enough to stand on its own.

Time and time again Scott has said he wasn't interested in creating the same grungy (lived in, truckers in space) atmosphere that he created in ALIEN. Why would he want o replicate the same design of the first film again? Prometheus is what it is.

NGR01

It's Daniel Simon.
Concept artist.

Mass Effect are full armors.
You might as well bring up an iron man painted in blue or the Halo armors too.

LarsVader

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 14, 2012, 05:57:15 PM
who's that hot guy Ridley's standing with?
Like the caption states; it's Daniel Simon (Prometheus vehicle designer).

And I've heard that the Prometheus itself has been designed by Ben Procter.

And on the general topic:
Yes, there are undenieable similaritys in the suit designs,
but those could also be compared to a lot of other protective gear, sci-fi designs, diving suits or fetish-fashions.

OpenMaw

NGR01

Quote from: OpenMaw on Apr 14, 2012, 08:30:31 PM
Quote from: REDDEVIL on Apr 14, 2012, 05:36:52 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg854/scaled.php?server=854&filename=masspromcomp3.jpg&res=landing
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4JSmDfQ0Rp0/TtSEwF3v2cI/AAAAAAAAAWs/TxCxIUDCmSU/s1600/53268-225335-1.jpg
The spacesuits are definitely Mass Effect inspired.

Except for the part where they share no similarities beyond being slick space suits. They look totally different.

Exactly.

But but but she's a woman and he's a man so there MUST be some inspiration going on there...
;D

Predaker

There are obvious similarities as well as differences.

Is this a coincidence? No, but it's not intentional either.

SiL

The Mass Effect suits and the Prometheus suits both have heightened collars and belts. That's about the only similarity.

chupacabras acheronsis

and are form-fitting for some reason.

inb4sweeper by the way.

ChrisPachi

WTH? The vehicles look nothing alike, and the spacesuits look similar to countless other sci-fi suits from countless other films and video games, because of exactly what Valaquen said. No offense, but to suggest that the Prometheus designs are inspired by Mass Effect is just plain daft.

If Prometheus has a spacey synthesizer theme then, well.... :P

Quote from: NGR01 on Apr 14, 2012, 06:08:06 PMYou might as well bring up an iron man painted in blue or the Halo armors too.

This as well.

chupacabras acheronsis

i don't think that's the problem, nowhere on earth could somebody claim Aliens ripped off Halo and not get thoroughfully insulted, but now that Mass Effect is in the public conscious, people will feel it's too similar or that it should have made a larger effort to stand out from what i believe is the most generic sci fi around.

i like how that darkened Prometheus looks by the way.

penryn79

Seeing as how a lot of Mass Effect looks like Syd Mead and Cobb rips it fits. Mead did the Sulaco after all. We are also seeing a side of this universe we have not seen before.

Until now it has been Industrial or Military. Prometheus is a state of the art Flagship and looks the part. The nose is for atmosphere breaking and as odd as it looks it serves a purpose I guess.

Gash

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Apr 14, 2012, 10:20:13 PM
and are form-fitting for some reason.

I reckon form-fitting for functionality, they're driving vehicles and running around in these outfits. Can't see that being possible in the Moebius inspired suits.

OWLF

"Inspired".Not that they actually are the same suits.They obviously have many things in common(collar,shoulder pads,belt,body-form-fitting,color..)and it isnĀ“t that far fetched that they may have gotten some inspiration from Mass Effect.

SiL

Considering literally every similarity you just listed has been featured in sci-fi for the last God-knows how many decades, singling out Mass Effect is kind of silly. It's just the loudest and most recent; it's hardly unique.

Zenzucht

Majority of nowadays sci-fi stuff is inspired by Cobb, Mead, Moebius and McQuarrie.

Last original stuff was, in my opinion, Geoff Darrow's work on The Matrix.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed