Prometheus: Alien Universe or Mass Effect Universe

Started by Omega1, Apr 14, 2012, 09:04:40 AM

Author
Prometheus: Alien Universe or Mass Effect Universe (Read 26,857 times)

mastermoon

You know what they say, video games always rip-off the Ideas of movies.

Gash

Er... what's Mass Effect?

I'm seeing maybe the Shado Mobiles from UFO a bit in the vehicles. I think the design influences are more a progression of Cobb, Mead and and a big dose of Derek Meddings. The roots go way back.

chupacabras acheronsis

some videogame about romance.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: x-M-x on May 17, 2012, 02:25:51 AM
Plus the 'ALIEN' franchise is older... FAR OLDER so how the hell can they compare? 0.o

kids...

in fact it's mass effect who ripped/stole idea's/themes etc from the alien franchise ? lol...

Because nobody's disputing the two series, as a whole. This is specifically about the vehicle and suit designs of 'Prometheus'. Not the first four films.

And the work for that has been going since shortly after 'Mass Effect 2' being released - and heavily lauded in most media as the next raising of the bar in science-fiction.

It's very conceivable, yes, that the people hired for designing the suits and vehicles for 'Prometheus' at least took a passing look at stuff which was very famously plastered all over magazine covers and more, about the first two 'Mass Effect' games, for inspiration.

In essence, this is no different to the reverse. It's just easier to see.

As I've said before, the Prometheus does have some design features which were directly stolen from other stuff in the series (the engines, for example, are four miniaturised direct copies of the rear section of the Sulaco, as I've said before), but it's very obvious, especially for the costumes, that there was some 'Mass Effect' visual influence which bled in.

I'm going to just link my original post here, because it says virtually everything needed. :)

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=42974.msg1334227#msg1334227

In essence, you couldn't put the Normandy in 'Aliens', because it wouldn't look like a logical technological progression alongside the Sulaco, dropship and more. But you could dump just about any of the hardware from 'Prometheus' into one of the ME games and it would fit perfectly.

Doesn't mean it's a direct rip or anything. Just that the basic influence is clear, beyond just paint schemes (although, in fairness, that's an obvious clue, too).

Le Celticant

Every story are ripped from The Odyssey (Homere).
Both Alien & Mass effects concepts are ripped from H.P. Lovecraft and its Cthulhu Mythos.

Everything has already been done in ages, the difference is the vision you add to something already achieved, making it original.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Le Celticant on May 17, 2012, 12:03:00 PM
Every story are ripped from The Odyssey (Homere).
Both Alien & Mass effects concepts are ripped from H.P. Lovecraft and its Cthulhu Mythos.

Everything has already been done in ages, the difference is the vision you add to something already achieved, making it original.

This isn't about concepts or story elements, it's about comparing specific visual design aesthetics. :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed