New official cross section picture of prometheus ship

Started by Wobblyboddle77, Apr 11, 2012, 11:59:58 PM

Author
New official cross section picture of prometheus ship (Read 46,351 times)

SM

It's fan made.  Same dude who did the Nostromo in the Alien Vault book.

This is a cross section (of sorts):

The Prometheus pic on the first page isn't.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: SM on Apr 12, 2012, 05:02:39 AM
The Betty more than Firefly, with them twisty turny engines.

Good point.

shamash

That vodi over at PF again he cracks me up

Vickers

The ejectable lifeboat module is obviously what Vickers is using to escape the collision.  Assuming there are others on the ship who aren't going to be on the ship during impact, we don't know if it is only Vickers who uses the lifeboat module.  There's space for 3 people.  I'm guessing that Shaw also makes use of it, if there is a direct link between the collision, the ejectable lifeboat and the falling Derelict.

The fireproof windscreen would likely come into effect during the collision of the Prometheus and the Derelict but it's highly unlikely many (or any) of the crew still on board will survive that impact.  But then again, we've only seen tiny bits of footage and anything is possible.

I'm actually really liking the ship's design.  And that CGI when it's landing in the trailer is flawless.  I just hope they don't mess too much with a good thing and decide to throw in more particles and fog and keep adding to something that doesn't need anything added to it.  That's when good CGI can turn bad.

Rong

Quote from: shamash on Apr 12, 2012, 08:50:28 AM
That vodi over at PF again he cracks me up

i'll meet you at the cafe area. order me a tapir steak.

dantelectro

click to enlarge

The heat shields on top don't make sense to me (neither to NASA), unless the ship re-enters upside down. Which can be awkward considering how gravity would effect objects inside the ship.

They also didn't mention the escape pods (not the lifeboats).

escroto

The Prometheus ship is obviously a pretty cool design, but what I don't understand is why It has to look at lot more advanced (or modern) than the Nostromo, taking into account this is happening many years before the events in "Alien". The cryotubes and everything look also a lot more advanced than what we saw in aliens, with holograms and stuff like that, the space suits, the drones they use in the jockey temple, etc.

Kol

Quote from: escroto on Apr 12, 2012, 11:50:59 AM
The Prometheus ship is obviously a pretty cool design

i don't find it cool or neat, just pretty standard as usual spacecrafts from NASA.
the nostromo and the sulaco, they we're beautiful ships!  :o

Valaquen

Quote from: escroto on Apr 12, 2012, 11:50:59 AM
The Prometheus ship is obviously a pretty cool design, but what I don't understand is why It has to look at lot more advanced (or modern) than the Nostromo, taking into account this is happening many years before the events in "Alien". The cryotubes and everything look also a lot more advanced than what we saw in aliens, with holograms and stuff like that, the space suits, the drones they use in the jockey temple, etc.
Because the Nostromo is a tub, a leaky, Soviet-esque space sub. Prometheus is state of the art. New.

bobkind3

I take it that the presentation is intentionally ironic to show the glib nature of the Weyland Corporation. It looks and reads like a car advert aimed at a boy racer. As to the "clues" it might hold - could the lifeboat be the Magellan we saw set marked as in leaked pictures? Maybe those piloting Prometheus on a collision course with the Derelict use the escape pods at the last moment while the rest have already jetted off earlier in the lifeboat.

NGR01

Quote from: dantelectro on Apr 12, 2012, 11:33:27 AM

click to enlarge

The heat shields on top don't make sense to me (neither to NASA), unless the ship re-enters upside down. Which can be awkward considering how gravity would effect objects inside the ship.

They also didn't mention the escape pods (not the lifeboats).

Nice find about the pods.
WTF they were thinking those who put the legends.

Not compeletly sold on the design.
Especially the "nose".
Too aerodynamic, scifi cliché.
Thanks for the cockpit under it, i like the idea.
But i'm more fan of weird unsusual front design.
The nostromo was cool in that department.
But the prometheus will do the job ^^

KirklandSignature

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Apr 12, 2012, 01:49:23 AM
Quote from: KirklandSignature on Apr 12, 2012, 01:46:26 AM
WHat does USCSS stand for?

United States Colonial Scientific Ship?

United States Colonial Survey Ship?

United States Commercial Star Ship.  The Nostromo follows this naming convention.

Thats odd, Nostromo isn't even the same type of ship. Prometheus is looking to be a scientific research vessel whereas the Nostromo was a commcercial mining type ship. The naming convention doesn't match up to what the US navy uses today. For example US Navy warships get the USS designation while non-warships get the prefix of United States Naval Ship.

dave1978

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Apr 12, 2012, 01:03:49 AM
those are way too many moving parts for a decent structural integrity...

What utter bobbins.

RoaryUK

Quote from: KirklandSignature on Apr 12, 2012, 01:54:03 PM
Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Apr 12, 2012, 01:49:23 AM
Quote from: KirklandSignature on Apr 12, 2012, 01:46:26 AM
WHat does USCSS stand for?

United States Colonial Scientific Ship?

United States Colonial Survey Ship?

United States Commercial Star Ship.  The Nostromo follows this naming convention.

Thats odd, Nostromo isn't even the same type of ship. Prometheus is looking to be a scientific research vessel whereas the Nostromo was a commcercial mining type ship. The naming convention doesn't match up to what the US navy uses today. For example US Navy warships get the USS designation while non-warships get the prefix of United States Naval Ship.

They match up if you consider...

The Nostromo was a United States Commercial Star Ship 

The Sulaco was a United States Colonial Star Ship

MrSpaceJockey

Uh, no...The Sulaco was the USS Sulaco.  The Sulaco was a military vessel, while the Prometheus and Nostromo were company ships.

I don't know, however, how this fares with the modern conventions.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed