Modern gamers' hatred of challenging games

Started by DUB1, Apr 09, 2012, 02:12:21 PM

Author
Modern gamers' hatred of challenging games (Read 7,403 times)

chupacabras acheronsis

i agree that games should encourage you to get better, but there's barely one shitty training mission in most games to help you. learning the controls isnt hard nor worth the time. developers should focus on providing the player with plenty of oportunities to develop tactics, learn to react to certain situations and sharpen their senses. games just dont want you to be good anymore.

DoomRulz

Quote from: HicksUSCM on Apr 11, 2012, 02:57:55 PM
Well Keg, this is on the one hand right but on the other its wrong you know. If they make all rewards to unlock after beating any diff, no matter easy-normal-high, no one will ever play the hard mode. Or lets say the majority will not play it. The whole point of this thing is to push the players to try the higher diffs. Your point is right for the casuals who get back from work and dont have the time to master the game, but its wrong for the people who have the time and the ability to play more. Its no-go cycle, whatever we say. But nowadays its way more likely to see the high end content as DLC for those who do not want to play through HARD  :laugh:  The last game I can remember is BF3. They released the shorkits so every kid who just started the game can have all the weaponry. Its just annoying for the rest of the player who played so much. Last week I saw a 5lvl guy who had the AS VAL, lvl 45 weapon, which I dont have (yet). This pissed me off. But we can't do shit about this. We can't sort out the people - hey you are hard working man who get back from job at 17:00 and want to play some, you are allowed to buy the guns! You are CoD kid who get back from school at 13:00 and play all day long but still suck at the game, you can't buy the guns - learn to play. This will never happen sadly :/

The shortcut kits mean nothing. You still have to learn how to play as part of a team and coordinate your attacks on Rush or Conquest. Having more guns means nothing.

RagingDragon

Quote from: Effectz on Apr 10, 2012, 09:12:13 PM
Call of Duty games from Infinity ward and sledgehammer made online FPS easy,(online aspect of it)You can just pick those games up and play them without even learning the game.It became even more clearer for me when i went to the MW3 launch and 3/4 of the people cueing up were people just over 13/14.The Treyarch games were much harder.I'm not jumping on any hate wagons here,im just telling it how it is.

They have done the same with battlefield 3 online,although hard,its much easier for a person to pick it up and begin playing with the new patch.

I love challenges,The harder the game the better it is for me to play it i think.Thats probebly why I will always come back to Starcraft.

Now that Diablo 3 with its inferno mode is coming out,I will be pulling my pubes out because i have died countless times just so i can get some sweet ass drops.
Aw man, I'm a die hard Starcraft 1 fan.  I used to watch competitive SC in S. Korea for years.  MSL, OSL, back in the days of Boxer, Nada, lots of old players.  I'm an old Starcraft man, and still play it to this day. :laugh:

A glorious game, like super sci-fi chess.

chupacabras acheronsis

BF3 is nowhere near as hard as BF2. BF2 is nowhere as hard as BF2 with Project Reality mod. Project Reality is f**king pong compared to Armed Assault/Virtual Battlescape.

you can't really measure difficulty until you expereince the whole range from arcade/arena to military grade simulator..

WinterActual

Quote from: DoomRulz on Apr 11, 2012, 11:44:53 PM

The shortcut kits mean nothing. You still have to learn how to play as part of a team and coordinate your attacks on Rush or Conquest. Having more guns means nothing.
It means nothing in ARMA 2. In BF3 some of the weapons are overpowered.

Effectz

Quote from: RagingDragon on Apr 12, 2012, 12:55:36 AM
Quote from: Effectz on Apr 10, 2012, 09:12:13 PM
Call of Duty games from Infinity ward and sledgehammer made online FPS easy,(online aspect of it)You can just pick those games up and play them without even learning the game.It became even more clearer for me when i went to the MW3 launch and 3/4 of the people cueing up were people just over 13/14.The Treyarch games were much harder.I'm not jumping on any hate wagons here,im just telling it how it is.

They have done the same with battlefield 3 online,although hard,its much easier for a person to pick it up and begin playing with the new patch.

I love challenges,The harder the game the better it is for me to play it i think.Thats probebly why I will always come back to Starcraft.

Now that Diablo 3 with its inferno mode is coming out,I will be pulling my pubes out because i have died countless times just so i can get some sweet ass drops.
Aw man, I'm a die hard Starcraft 1 fan.  I used to watch competitive SC in S. Korea for years.  MSL, OSL, back in the days of Boxer, Nada, lots of old players.  I'm an old Starcraft man, and still play it to this day. :laugh:

Boxer still plays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr7vg1xstys#ws

RagingDragon

Quote from: Effectz on Apr 12, 2012, 04:09:55 PM
Quote from: RagingDragon on Apr 12, 2012, 12:55:36 AM

Boxer still plays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr7vg1xstys#ws
The Maestro returns. :laugh:  He's still so good at micro, and the harass.  He used to do things with Vultures that would nearly make me vomit they were so slick...  Just like that, I'm back into it.  Gonna waste hours catching up on everything now.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

FPS games seem a lot easier then they did in the past. Doom 2 to me is still hard as hell on the hardest mode.

DoomRulz

DOOM 2 on Nightmare vs World at War or Black Ops on Veteran aren't that far removed IMO.

Vakarian

I think this should help explain things somewhat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM#ws

RagingDragon

Quote from: Vakarian on Apr 13, 2012, 10:24:00 AM

A great video, had me laughing and a bit intrigued.  I just love analyzing things. :laugh:

chupacabras acheronsis

where the hell is the new Sequelitis, Egoraptor?!?

Vakarian

He said he had another three episodes planned at PAX. I can remember him saying that he is working on one which involves MGS1 vs MGS2 which should be good. He also hinted at a possible Metal Gear Awesome 3.

King Rathalos

Quote from: Vakarian on Apr 13, 2012, 10:24:00 AM

Love that video, learned some pretty cool things when I first watched it. :)

Cellien

Some older games are harder because of bad design and technology limitations.  These days there's a lot more hand-holding, but they are also just much more intuitive.  Clunky controls, bad design decisions, and technological barriers become less of a factor.

That said, I think lots of developers want everyone to be able to experience the whole game so they offer up ways to help the player do that. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed