Modern gamers' hatred of challenging games

Started by DUB1, Apr 09, 2012, 02:12:21 PM

Author
Modern gamers' hatred of challenging games (Read 7,529 times)

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

From what I've seen that Silver Surfer makes Demon Souls look like a cake walk.

Effectz

Effectz

Call of Duty games from Infinity ward and sledgehammer made online FPS easy,(online aspect of it)You can just pick those games up and play them without even learning the game.It became even more clearer for me when i went to the MW3 launch and 3/4 of the people cueing up were people just over 13/14.The Treyarch games were much harder.I'm not jumping on any hate wagons here,im just telling it how it is.

They have done the same with battlefield 3 online,although hard,its much easier for a person to pick it up and begin playing with the new patch.

I love challenges,The harder the game the better it is for me to play it i think.Thats probebly why I will always come back to Starcraft.

Now that Diablo 3 with its inferno mode is coming out,I will be pulling my pubes out because i have died countless times just so i can get some sweet ass drops.

Keg

In this day and age of multiple difficulty levels to choose from I dont think game developers have any excuse for not making their games accessible to everybody. I also hate it when beating a game on the highest difficulty unlocks something because its holding something back from people who just havnt got the time, or the patience or just flat out cant beat it.

That's why I think the Metal Gear Solid games have always catered brilliantly to all types of gamers. Theres so many different difficulty settings to choose from you'll always find one to suit how you want to enjoy the game and thats the way it should be.

Hudson

I'm not sure if I have a problem with HARD games, but when I have to stop and ask myself if I'm still having fun, then I usually am not and that's where I draw the line.

For instance, the Gears of War and Halo games on the hardest difficulty are all pretty damn tough, but I think their campaigns still remain pretty fun and entertaining on those settings. Plus there are other achievements to be earned and reasons to complete them on harder settings. The same goes for most games now in that regard.

There are some games though that kind of slap gamers in the face with difficulty, whether it be development related flaws or actual just all out hardcore difficulty level. It seems like Capcom makes their games with no real regard for their gamers. A lot of their unlockables and aspects of mastering the game are just ridiculous life ending stuff. I'm speaking of the early Resident Evil games and Dead Rising in particular.

I also got really frustrated with MGS3 on Xbox 360 recently, trying to shoot all the green frogs, which was easy until the last 8 or so when you're on a motorcycle going 120 mph.

Games don't have to be hard and miserable, they can be hard and fun as well. Take Plants vs. Zombies for instance. That game never stops being fun even if you're getting your ass kicked on one of the mini games. It's just fun and entertaining like games should be.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: First Blood on Apr 10, 2012, 01:26:00 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Apr 09, 2012, 02:22:46 PM
The God of War games

I never found the GOW games that challenging, except for the first one, when you had to climb your way out of Hades on those spiked towers. Oh, did that make my piss boil.

Play God of War 3 on Titan mode and then we'll talk ;)

You're spot on though about that spike tower. I think that was my first ever rage quit in a game.

Quote from: Effectz on Apr 10, 2012, 09:12:13 PM
Now that Diablo 3 with its inferno mode is coming out,I will be pulling my pubes out because i have died countless times just so i can get some sweet ass drops.

In Blizzard's defense though, they did say that it's going to be beyond difficult. The impression I get is that it's a team-based difficulty mode.

Keg

I hated the hades section at the end of GOW but ive played it so many times now I can do it easily. The first few times I played it I also had to replay the part where youre balancing on support beams and there are blades circling around the central pillars. I find it easy now but i remember trying to go down all the routes on the beams to get all the chests and repeatedly failing so i just gave up and followed the main route to advance in the game.

Im currently playing the GOW games actually but just on normal because im doing a run through of the whole series so I dont want it to drag on. Ive just finished Chains of Olympus today and ill start the original game in the next couple of days.

DoomRulz

The Hades section in GoW reminds me of the capital level from the 1st NG on the Xbox. Oh my f**k, the number of times I screamed. THOSE f**kING BLACK-GOWNED NINJAS WITH THEIR EXPLOSIVE SHURIKENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

m41guy

I hate achievements that cannot be gotten the first playthrough.  I hate having sooo many mp achievements on games that I probably won't play mp on(AC ::) ).  I'm not a completionist, so much as I do have a good amount of OCD lol.

I do agree that games nowadays have nothing on some of the old NES games...so many I either never even finished or couldn't beat without a game genie or some invincibility code( I'm looking at you ABADOX!).  A time when there were no or few save points or codes you had to write down. 

DoomRulz

I don't think games are any easier, personally. The checkpoint systems I find in most FPS games in particular are too few and far between. Anyone here play Turok ('08) on Inhuman? You'll know what I mean.

m41guy

That is true also, and while I haven't played either of those, I am reminded of Skyrim when you save or not save on your own whim...and suffer your own wrath :laugh: 

A few times I got mad while playing Dead Space and not saving when I should have as well. 

MrLee

I generally prefer games that are challenging. Unless its Mass Effect or something, then i just wanna get on with it and experience the story.

DoomRulz

Quote from: m41guy on Apr 10, 2012, 11:24:10 PM
That is true also, and while I haven't played either of those, I am reminded of Skyrim when you save or not save on your own whim...and suffer your own wrath :laugh: 

A few times I got mad while playing Dead Space and not saving when I should have as well.

Oh yes. I hate myself in times like that. I bitch about the difficulty and then I realize, "Well, why didn't I save sooner?"

chupacabras acheronsis

you know i'm really tired of that excuse "i'm too busy to play long/challenging games because i have to work and i have a familiy and i'm an adult now". there's very few games on earth that would take you over a couple months playing about an hour a day. if not you're just a bad player. besides, can't one enjoy a prolonged gaming experience?

another thing i'm sick off is the way modern games look and behave. in Shooters, the HUD is a bloated mess with transparencies, icons and markers everywhere that pretty much scream at you to do exactly as you're told, there's a contextual action for everything, there's rails and timed missions and QTE... it's not that games are easy, it's that they're so limited and repetitive i can't stand them. there's so little to do besides running forward shooting, i would rather go to a range if all i wanted was straight up shooting. it's not like they're satisfying at that either, most guns feel like crap on games.

SM

Not being especially hardcore with gaming I see more complaints about games being too short rather than being too hard.

First Blood

Quote from: SM on Apr 11, 2012, 12:11:38 AM
Not being especially hardcore with gaming I see more complaints about games being too short rather than being too hard.

Very true. With the emergence and popularity of multiplayer online gaming – the single player experience almost seems like an after thought.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed