Alien 3rd person view, yay or nay?

Started by Dowly, Apr 04, 2012, 06:56:50 PM

Alien will be played from third-person view. What's your take on it?

Good idea!
53 (45.3%)
No, stick to 1st person view.
47 (40.2%)
I don't care.
17 (14.5%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Author
Alien 3rd person view, yay or nay? (Read 25,294 times)

RagingDragon

As a wicked awesome Alien player, I can see a third person view attracting more players to the Alien.  First-person, when you're sprinting upside down then jumping from wall-to-wall, can be quite disorienting for a lot of people.  As an Alien, I use all surfaces, but this is tricky and requires some practice to do well.

More players is a good thing, but I agree with all that the option would be best, Skyrim style.

Chupa also has a good point in that 3rd person cameras usually go tits up in cramped spaces.  While playing the Alien, I'm sure that's mostly what I'll be doing anyway, so they need to get a smooth and very honed camera to pull it off nicely.

newbeing

Quote from: RagingDragon on Apr 05, 2012, 03:35:08 PM
As a wicked awesome Alien player, I can see a third person view attracting more players to the Alien.  First-person, when you're sprinting upside down then jumping from wall-to-wall, can be quite disorienting for a lot of people.  As an Alien, I use all surfaces, but this is tricky and requires some practice to do well.

More players is a good thing, but I agree with all that the option would be best, Skyrim style.

Chupa also has a good point in that 3rd person cameras usually go tits up in cramped spaces.  While playing the Alien, I'm sure that's mostly what I'll be doing anyway, so they need to get a smooth and very honed camera to pull it off nicely.

For the tight spaces like vents I could see them pulling you into first person, or into a tighter 3rd person cam ala Batman.

RagingDragon

That would work well.  A transparent model would also help.

chupacabras acheronsis

transparent mode you say?

MR EL1M1NATOR

I prefer first person.

It makes me feel more like I am the alien, instead of just controlling it.

AvP 2010 could get disorienting, but it just took practise. People expect games to be easy now, so when they are not it's seen as a negative thing. I think it is more rewarding when you become a good.

RagingDragon

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Apr 05, 2012, 09:19:48 PM
transparent mode you say?

That pic made my week.  Saving.

CyberDemon13

I actually love the xeno gameplay from AvP 2010. Yeah it's a bit of a steep learning curve,  but once you thoroughly learn and understand it, it is very rewarding. The only issue I have with it is sometimes transitioning onto surfaces even when auto-transition is off (and the fact that the marines are better at melee combat than the xenos...).

Overall, it is great, and it is a very unique gaming experience. A:CM's xeno gameplay, to be quite frank, looks terrible. The animations are ugly, the designs themselves are ugly (in MP at least), the bodies fade away in a horridly unrealistic manner (AvP 2010 even did this right!), the blood is still hideous (too damn bright!), and they sound  terrible too (they sound like little girls screaming smh). I really hope this is just an early-ish stage of the final build because a lot of things need polishing.

I'm still super excited though!! :)

RagingDragon

Quote from: CyberDemon13 on Apr 06, 2012, 03:13:33 PM
I actually love the xeno gameplay from AvP 2010. Yeah it's a bit of a steep learning curve,  but once you thoroughly learn and understand it, it is very rewarding. The only issue I have with it is sometimes transitioning onto surfaces even when auto-transition is off (and the fact that the marines are better at melee combat than the xenos...).

Overall, it is great, and it is a very unique gaming experience. A:CM's xeno gameplay, to be quite frank, looks terrible. The animations are ugly, the designs themselves are ugly (in MP at least), the bodies fade away in a horridly unrealistic manner (AvP 2010 even did this right!), the blood is still hideous (too damn bright!), and they sound  terrible too (they sound like little girls screaming smh). I really hope this is just an early-ish stage of the final build because a lot of things need polishing.

I'm still super excited though!! :)
Good points, I agree.  I'm sure they'll polish most of that stuff out, especially with the gorgeous graphics they're pushing for.

I swear if AvP2010 didn't have that freaking melee system, and had more levels and player options in multiplayer, that game would've done much better.

Stringer2355

I got nauseated & blindsided  when playing alien in 1st person in AVP 2010

From not directly seeing what actually 3rd person looks like yet, it depends how they have the camera, is there a over the shoulder option, etc

Xeno Killer 2179

As long as we get fisheye vision and the transition from walls to floor and from 1st to 3rd person is smooth, I don't really care. I'm getting tired of the whole seeing people and allies through walls thing.

Maybe when playing as a xenomorph, we should be able to hear through walls instead, or our vision will change when near enemies. The field of view could become wider. Hearing the clanking of colonial marine boots on the grated floors from afar would be amazing.

Quote from: RagingDragon on Apr 06, 2012, 03:24:16 PM
I swear if AvP2010 didn't have that freaking melee system, and had more levels and player options in multiplayer, that game would've done much better.
Can't say this enough. The smallest changes, and the game could still be alive today.
What makes it even harder to accept is that is was such a technically solid game. The level of detail in the animations and environments, however limited, is astounding.

RagingDragon

I agree.  I replay the Alien campaign and play survivor constantly.  I love getting all of the crap, stealth killing everyone and harvesting the dumbass colonists.  Kind of nice little touches for a single-player Aliens game.  Even the marine campaign is a fun romp on a lower difficulty, despite the scripted xenomorphs.

Rebellion should've just made a pure Predator game.  It would have been badass. :laugh:

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Dowly on Apr 04, 2012, 06:56:50 PM
So, as the previews from the MP side of the game brings the good news of both Marines and Aliens being
playable, they also mention that the Alien will be played from third-person view to be less "disorienting".

What's everyone's take on that?

Something I said the AVP games should have had, at the very least as an option, because hand-to-hand combat never comes off as good in first-person. Fine for Marines, yes. For things which are literally using a part of their body as their primary/only weapon, no. 'Arkham Asylum' was precisely how I think they should have be done, because this allows for killing moves to really be shown off - and that suits Aliens perfectly.

However, I think the real reason behind it is so that they don't have to spend time figuring out what the Alien's perspective should be and spending time on developing it. Otherwise, they might as well have simply allowed for both factions in the main campaign (or a replay from the opposing side).

Herk Mondo

Simple solution is to make 3rd person an option, like in fallout 3. (i'm not a game designer but surely that can't be too hard to do)  I much prefer 1st person as its more immersive IMO but lot of folk like 3rd.  As long as the xenos don't growl like dinos as they did in the last avp game - hated that!  :P

Vulhala

Vulhala

But I'm sure I read that the Aliens in MP would be able to 'sense' the Marines around them and see them through walls etc. How would they do that from 3rd person?

Herk Mondo

Quote from: Vulhala on Apr 07, 2012, 07:29:00 PM
But I'm sure I read that the Aliens in MP would be able to 'sense' the Marines around them and see them through walls etc. How would they do that from 3rd person?

Agreed, I reckon that would be easier to show in first person, but maybe they could make it work third person not sure.  On that subject, I think they could improve on just showing an outline of a marine on the other side of a wall.  I think the use of pheromone traces, maybe like wisps going round corners or through vents to lead you to where marines are.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed