'The trick is not minding it hurts' Weyland TED reanalysis

Started by harlock, Mar 30, 2012, 04:14:25 AM

Author
'The trick is not minding it hurts' Weyland TED reanalysis (Read 2,268 times)

harlock

Read the Empire article and got to watching the TED talk again for all those clues to the film in there. Weyland started his speech referencing TE Lawrence - I felt the reference to putting out 'fire' and self-sacrifice to do so may play a part in Prometheus.
Also notice how when describing technological advances, the gaps grow ever smaller as the level of tech rises, it is something that come across quite strongly, especially noting the advances made at the end.

He also makes the statement that by creating androids indistinguishable from people that mankind has become the gods. We know Peter sees himself as something of a Prometheus figure in the film, someone who wants to change the world... what does that mean for the film? What will Weyland's change of the status quo bring?

In the end his speech was meant to say how we as a race have mastery over the gift of technology (there is also a hint that we gained tech ourselves from a race advanced as humanity would soon stand back those thousands of years before) and Weyland is going to change this world by offering us something new (advanced androids and other upcoming Weyland tech). One would think he sees himself as Prometheus stealing tech from the gods to put us on a more even footing...  ::)

There is some element of transhumanism here, as humans are ones that throw judgement down on David Androids... and perhaps David gains tech to put androids on even footing, perhaps enough to be a threat to humanity...

...or not!  :D

Opinions please  :)

botched

botched

I think David is Prometheus, and he may steal some tech from "the gods", his creators, mankind. The ability to reproduce biologically?  Bio-mechanical origin? 

SM

QuoteWe know Peter sees himself as something of a Prometheus figure in the film, someone who wants to change the world... what does that mean for the film? What will Weyland's change of the status quo bring?

Reparations in a suitably Promethian and/or possibly Faustian manner.

Face Jockey

The trick is not minding it hurts quote does strongly foreshadow sacrifice, perhaps even more than a personal one. Lawrence, an unusual historical figure, strongly associated with both archaeology and mercenary warfare (as well as a classic "Epic" film), seems a very appropriate character for Weyland to be quoting.

harlock

And of course I reference David as the one who gains the gift from Weyland's analogy at TED as humanity being gods (which leaves android as man), but the thief of the Engineer technology does not have to be him exactly, though looking at trailers heavily point he himself (as an individual) will act as the Prometheus thief (for the rest of the Davids? I expect he is doing it for noble reasons if he is acting on his own, to get rid of the prejudice over his 'race' for one).

Also Lawrence of Arabia translated Homer's Oddyssey from Greek, another epic tail detailing the trials and tribulations of a man trying to return home to people who figure they've died...  ;)

Despicable Dugong

I find it interesting that he makes the point regarding Lawrence extinguishing the fire of a match by pinching out the flame and not minding that it causes hurt and then goes on to state that fire was the first human piece of technology. Will he, Weyland, 'pinch' out human technology by trying to master the technology of the 'Gods' disregarding the hurt that this could cause humanity? :laugh:

nendo

I don't agree with this hole David is stealing tech. I think David is more like a kid whos curious about his surroundings. I don't think he has any hidden agenda but is maybe someone who by accident may of started a few events in the film.

Having David be on a secret mission is to simple of a plot line. I think Davids role in this film is more about a life form being curious and wanting to explore his surrounding etc.

Federick Gonsa

In the trailer, when he says "big things have small beginnings" I see him smirk, but many tell me am just seeing things.

harlock

No, I see him smirk instead of smile too. At least he smiles in a slightly sinister/creepy way.

Also, David may not be the one who steals the Jockey tech, it could just as easily be one of the others of the launch party sent or maybe even one of the other Prometheus bridge crew, Vickers or Weyland himself once they bring stuff aboard to scan (such as the ampule or Jockey helmet).

However, we have seen David mess around with the contents of an ampule and he stands to gain more if we take the viral hints at face value. We have also seen him in a kerfuffle with Vickers, which means either he is in the wrong somewhere, or she is (though they could just be having a spat ala Ripley and Lambert in ALIEN).

I still think we shouldn't rule out Vickers being involved somehow and if rumours are to believed, she may have links to Yutani Corp... perhaps taking this tech would advance android production even to varying models such as Ash...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed