So I watched the original Space Jockey Scene last night...

Started by HenryEllis, Mar 26, 2012, 06:11:16 PM

Author
So I watched the original Space Jockey Scene last night... (Read 12,498 times)

HenryEllis

HenryEllis

Gash

Quote from: Henry Ellis on Mar 26, 2012, 06:11:16 PM
..the hole that Kane discovers leading down to the eggs seems Acid burned as though the Alien that hatched from the Jockey burned through it, went down into the hold and laid the eggs that Kane discovers. 
Acid burn or no acid burn, are we supposed to assume that the eggs in the ship's hold precede the Alien hatching from the jockey or were they there only after being created by the Alien that hatched from the jockey?  If the latter is true that will totally nullify the blue mist as a containment field of sorts and the bio weapon theory. If they intend to explain this in Prometheus via the bio weapon theory they need to make sure it matches the first movie and that the sequence of presumed events makes sense.  I hope that whatever we are supposed to assume about the "Alien" space jockey scene based on the events in Prometheus matches up to the state of things as depicted in the original movie.  The Devil is in the details I hope Lindeloff did his homework.

If Lindeloff did his homework he's got a number of options, including that the eggs weren't 'laid' at all.

BioMechanical

How do you produce an actual egg then without something laying it? After all, it is an egg..

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Drop of primordial multicreation fluid! Of course.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: BioMechanical on Mar 26, 2012, 08:56:48 PM
How do you produce an actual egg then without something laying it? After all, it is an egg..

There are lots of theories that the Aliens were originally "designed" or "manufactured" by the Space Jockeys/Engineers.

Gash

Quote from: BioMechanical on Mar 26, 2012, 08:56:48 PM

The egg as seen in the  A  L  I  E  N  cocoon scene is implied to be a secreted resin that is forming around Brett and Dallas whilst their bodies are absorbed by embryonic facehuggers. You could therefore reasonably argue that the question Lambert asks 'I wonder what happened to the rest of the crew?' is answered by the contents of the egg chamber. This is also implied in the novelisation with mention of the egg storage having no structure and a lot of wasted space.

If Prometheus touches on what the egg chamber is all about I guess it is likely that it will retcon this implication in some way as Ridley has long made a point that the eggs are weapons and the derelict is a bomber, but it's certainly a possible route, and one that's better than the queen IMHO.

StrangeShape

Scott said the Queen was a very good idea and theres that crowned creature on the murals in Prometheus. I guess he may connect the two, the eggmoprhing and the egglayer in the movie. To be honest I really like both. Or he may not even touch either of those

NGR01

Since Scott said that the ship was a weapon cargo, the weapons being the eggs i think it's safe to assume that the eggs were already there.

BetterDuckJMG

BetterDuckJMG

I posted this theory on another forum. All right. What if...the hundreds, if not thousands, of eggs found by Kane were former beings, not humans per se, but other space travelers. In Alien, Brett and Dallas are both 'changing' before Ripley puts them out of they're misery. Maybe the SJ's have been leaving these 'invitations' on hundreds of worlds. Maybe they need 'volunteers' for their bioweapons division.

NGR01

They managed to created the aliens they could not create a host if needed?

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: NGR01 on Mar 26, 2012, 09:26:36 PM
Since Scott said that the ship was a weapon cargo, the weapons being the eggs i think it's safe to assume that the eggs were already there.

Well, he suggested ideas without actually having a final word about it

NGR01

He went back to unused concepts from the original ALIEN script so it's a safe bet that he has not changed his mind about this concept too.

It does also fits what the leak about the presence of the head, and of the pilot room, says about the use of the eggs (to clean out a planet). Scott definitly love the bioweapon aspect of the xeno.

jeremy_ray

Quote from: StrangeShape on Mar 26, 2012, 09:24:08 PM
Scott said the Queen was a very good idea and theres that crowned creature on the murals in Prometheus. I guess he may connect the two, the eggmoprhing and the egglayer in the movie. To be honest I really like both. Or he may not even touch either of those

I like the Queen way better than the egg-morphing. 

It seems odd and inefficient to use a human twice in the Alien life cycle - once to make the egg, than a second time to incubate the chestburster.  Cameron's solution is better, although he could have eliminated the egg and face hugger entirely (if we hadn't already seen them in Alien) and had the Queen directly implant the chestburster embryo herself. 

It's interesting to reflect on how this odd life cycle came out of having Cameron put his own spin on the franchise.  I hadn't thought about the possibility of the Queen not existing if Scott had directed Aliens. 

StrangeShape

Quote from: jeremy_ray on Mar 26, 2012, 11:07:53 PM
Quote from: StrangeShape on Mar 26, 2012, 09:24:08 PM

I like the Queen way better than the egg-morphing. 

It seems odd and inefficient to use a human twice in the Alien life cycle - once to make the egg, than a second time to incubate the chestburster.  Cameron's solution is better, although he could have eliminated the egg and face hugger entirely (if we hadn't already seen them in Alien) and had the Queen directly implant the chestburster embryo herself. 

It's interesting to reflect on how this odd life cycle came out of having Cameron put his own spin on the franchise.  I hadn't thought about the possibility of the Queen not existing if Scott had directed Aliens.

Yeah, well, he did say he thought the Queen was a very good idea, perhaps he wouldve come up with an egglayer as well, but since he seemed like it struck him like"hey, thats a very good idea", I doubt it would dawn on him

Either way both work for me, although I can understand why some of the people involved in the original disliked the idea

Valaquen

Quote from: Gash on Mar 26, 2012, 09:19:45 PMThe egg as seen in the  A  L  I  E  N  cocoon scene is implied to be a secreted resin that is forming around Brett and Dallas whilst their bodies are absorbed by embryonic facehuggers. You could therefore reasonably argue that the question Lambert asks 'I wonder what happened to the rest of the crew?' is answered by the contents of the egg chamber. This is also implied in the novelisation with mention of the egg storage having no structure and a lot of wasted space.
It never quite made sense to me that the crew were in the hold, transformed. Probably because of the layer of mist/laser that was described as a membrane warning system. Of course, the idea from the beginning (in O'Bannon's script anyway) was that the eggs were not transformed beings (he never mentioned that option at least); in Giler and Hill's early scripts the Alien was a man-made biological weapon; and then these two ideas seemed to be combined (alien-made weapon) in the finished script and film. I always took Lambert's line to be ominous in the regard that something killed 'em all due to some calamity, not morphing (in O'Bannon's concept, they starved).
Speculation. All I have  :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed