Things of note in Weyland Information page

Started by harlock, Mar 22, 2012, 12:36:38 AM

Author
Things of note in Weyland Information page (Read 27,695 times)

ThisBethesdaSea

That linked interview is the best one I've read in regards to prometheus yet. Good find. I'm interested character ideas, motivations, choices, etc.... That interview also proves my theory about Ridley and Co. REALLY thinking about not just character in terms of personality, but what they would wear, down to their shoelaces. It tells the critics of the costume choices that they weren't just pandering, they're solid histories.

RICH-ENGLAND

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Mar 22, 2012, 11:18:12 AM
That linked interview is the best one I've read in regards to prometheus yet. Good find. I'm interested character ideas, motivations, choices, etc.... That interview also proves my theory about Ridley and Co. REALLY thinking about not just character in terms of personality, but what they would wear, down to their shoelaces. It tells the critics of the costume choices that they weren't just pandering, they're solid histories.

no offence but it does no such thing, how do you know that the designers didn't research mercenaries on the net and see a lot of computer game characters and decided to do the same?.

i would really like you to also explain to me why prometheus has technology far more futuristic looking than even resurrection that is set hundreds of years in the future way past prometheus?, and please do it without making excuses.

you said in the other thread that wanting an r rating disproved my theory too which was utter nonsense and youve yet to address it...

floating touch screens...

touch screens and info on cryotubes...

flashy displays on everything...

auto med table that removes thing from shaw thats not available in resurrection when they remove queen embryo from ripley...

mass effect style space suits....

theyve done a george lucas to appeal to modern generation and make it stand up when compared to modern sci fi films and games plain and simple.

thanks

rich

wonkyfunk303

Quote from: RICH-ENGLAND on Mar 22, 2012, 11:36:31 AM

no offence but it does no such thing, how do you know that the designers didn't research mercenaries on the net and see a lot of computer game characters and decided to do the same?.

i would really like you to also explain to me why prometheus has technology far more futuristic looking than even resurrection that is set hundreds of years in the future way past prometheus?, and please do it without making excuses.

you said in the other thread that wanting an r rating disproved my theory too which was utter nonsense and youve yet to address it...

auto med table that removes thing from shaw thats not available in resurrection when they remove queen embryo from ripley...

theyve done a george lucas to appeal to modern generation and make it stand up when compared to modern sci fi films and games plain and simple.

thanks

rich

could it not be that the crew of the nostromo were just miners.... ie why would they have the best tech? i mean for project prometheus they are all scientists and archaelogists.... whereas with ripley and co, they were just a work horse.

as for ress.... that was a military post out of regulated space, knowing what politics are like, i doubt they would fund that kind of equipment... hence the crudeness of it all, get the job done, as cheap as possible?

whereas weyland, big company loads of money etc.. etc.. etc..

if that makes sense?

RICH-ENGLAND

RICH-ENGLAND

Quote from: wonkyfunk303 on Mar 22, 2012, 11:51:37 AM
Quote from: RICH-ENGLAND on Mar 22, 2012, 11:36:31 AM

thanks

rich

could it not be that the crew of the nostromo were just miners.... ie why would they have the best tech? i mean for project prometheus they are all scientists and archaelogists.... whereas with ripley and co, they were just a work horse.

as for ress.... that was a military post out of regulated space, knowing what politics are like, i doubt they would fund that kind of equipment... hence the crudeness of it all, get the job done, as cheap as possible?

whereas weyland, big company loads of money etc.. etc.. etc..

if that makes sense?

sorry mate but you dont seem to be getting my point, its very easy to sit and make up reasons why and to retcon them in your own mind to make them fit, but they arent real reasons, im talking about the real reason its been done in prometheus....

but just to answer one reason you gave, the med bed in alien resurrection is well over 200 years after prometheus, im pretty sure they could afford to have one by then, and the fact that its out of regulation space is just to cover up what its up to, no expense appears to be spared elsewhere, they appear to have built a huge ship with staff etc just exactly for the purpose of breeding the aliens, im sure an auto med bed wouldnt be missed out to save cost when it could be so useful for the mission.

thanks

rich

and just to add, i know you arent a gamer but i dont think you realise how big the gaming industry is nowadays.

about 70% pf the worlds populaition plays video games,.... thats most of the developed world.....

the average age of gamers is 33, and average age of game buyers is 40, most gamers are aged between 18 and 35

people also play at aged 65 to 70.....
http://videogames.lovetoknow.com/video-games/how-many-people-play-video-games

now taking these numbers into account, i would say that most the percentage of prometheus target audience will be gamers, i would also bet that a fair percent of the staff/film crew/designers are gamers too

also i would bet that some of the crew have also worked on games at some point as many big games have movie budgets, actors, designers etc.

now again granted that games have borrowed/stole or been influenced by the alien series but i think its also come full circle and movies are influenced by games and also try to appeal to whats in fashion.

now after seeing these numbers, if you think that no movie designers/makers get influenced by games or try to appeal to gaming audience then i think youre living in fantasy land..

thanks

rich

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Rich, we get it. You've made it up in your mind that Ridley Scott has sold himself out to the gaming crowd. Okay, its absolutely unprovable, but so be it. Think what you'd like.

In terms of the tech...Ridley Scott said it himself at the Wondercon Panel "It was a conscious decision." Got it? I myself am not upset by it in the least. Why you ask? Because this is about story and not the continuity of technology. If the Star Wars prequels had good stories everything else wouldn't have jumped out at us.

In terms of character or costume design...could they have gone online to see what gamers were wearing or whattheshitever? For sure. Is that paper thin theory provable? Not in the least. Remeber what Brett wore in ALIEN? A Hawain shirt, yep, a Hawain fraking shirt. Parker wore a head band. They fit somewhat seamlessly into their character design.

Again, Ridley Scott said that they even thought about the shoelaces of the characters. That's enough for me. If you want to continue to choose to go apeshit over the peripheral aspects of this film, please, be my guest. You are not beholden to me, nor I to you. I'm interested in STORY, first and foremost. If the story is phenomenal, great, if it ends up being shit, then that would be unfortunate. For now, I'm more the pleasantly surprised by most of everything I've seen. Maybe the tech is different but the tone is pitch perfect. It looks and Feels like A L I E N.

Lastly, a 'gamer' and people who casually play video games are two different beasts. I know a lot of people who play video games, but I only know ONE true gamer, some one who lives and breathes the culture. Those are two separate ideas. The Matrix films pandered completely to gamers and the rich and eccentric gaming community and I see Zero matrix-esque musings in the look of Prometheus. I'm actually a pop culture major, surprise surprise (not that it makes me an expert) but if you're going to assert the opinion that Ridley Scott is pandering to the gaming community with the art direction and character design of Prometheus, you have to back that up, or just be proven wrong. The Matrix films, eXtisenze, the Resident Evil films (etc,..) those are films designed around a niche or a community. One character with a mohawk and some facial/neck tattoos have more in common with blue collar deployed service members then the gaming community. By that theory the prisoners of Fiorina 161 are also fashioned around the gaming community. Also, when it comes to art direction, design, and costume design, often times the people in these roles are quite a bit older and draw their inspiration from many many different aspects of plausible future aesthetics.

Mustangjeff

Why would RS try to make Prometheus tech look the same or even more primitive than ALIEN?  Heck, our display tech here in good ole 2012 (in the real world) blows the movie ALIEN (sci fi 2122) tech out of the water.  I'm fine with the technology retcon here.

RICH-ENGLAND

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Mar 22, 2012, 12:45:05 PM
Rich, we get it. You've made it up in your mind that Ridley Scott has sold himself out to the gaming crowd. Okay.its absolutely unprovable, but so be it. Think what you'd like.

In terms of the tech...Ridley Scott said it himself at the Wondercon Panel "It was a conscious decision." Got it? I myself am not upset by it in the least. Why you ask? Because this is about story and not the continuity of technology. If the Star Wars prequels had good stories everything else wouldn't have jumped out at us.

In terms of character or costume design...could they have gone online to see what gamers were wearing or whattheshitever? For sure. Is that paper thin theory provable? Not in the least. Remeber what Brett wore in ALIEN? A Hawain shirt, yep, a Hawain fraking shirt. Parker wore a head band. They fit somewhat seamlessly into their character design.

Again, Ridley Scott said that they even thought about the shoelaces of the characters. That's enough for me. If you want to continue to choose to go apeshit over the peripheral aspects of this film, please, be my guest. You are not beholden to me, nor I to you. I'm interested in STORY, first and foremost. If the story is phenomenal great, if it ends up being shit, then that would be unfortunate. For now, I'm more the pleasantly surprised by most of everything I've seen. Maybe the tech is different but the tone is pitch perfect. It looks and Feels like A L I E N.

this post just goes to prove you have not read or taken notice of my posts properly at all, nowhere have i gone ape shit, that would be you... just like you do every single time someone makes the slightest criticism of scott or prometheus, which is exactly why i wrote this in my first post "before any overbearing fanboys/girls flame me"....

in my very first post on the matter, i explained that i wasnt upset by it and was 100% looking forward to the movie, would ignore the gripes i have as long as the movies good, and that i made that post just for the sake of conversation in a thread that was made specifically for that reason, i also alre4ady explained that i like the designs mostly, but my problem is they dont fit with established canon, but again dont care as long as its a good movie....ive also explained that i understand why its been done.

and yes, scott made a conscious decision over the design yes i get it, he made a conscious decision to make it more futuristic to appeal modern sci fi/gaming demographic of 18 to 30s...as it has to make a lot of money to cover its budget and make a profit

but the problem is here, you seem to have ignored all what i said and also have failed to address most points ive made or answer questions, reason being is you are too busy ranting because ive offended your god ridley

you appear to think that gaming is for some niche crowd of children which would explain your comment about r ratings, and you think its below scott and his designers.

thanks

rich

ThisBethesdaSea

"and yes, scott made a conscious decision over the design yes i get it, he made a conscious decision to make it more futuristic to appeal modern sci fi/gaming demographic of 18 to 30s...as it has to make a lot of money to cover its budget and make a profit"

Scott made a conscious decision to make the tech of the film more advance. The 'to appeal to the scifi gaming demographic' is a bit that you're presupposing. I by no means think Ridley Scott is a god. He's made some stinkers and I've been critical of him in the past. Your articulation only tries to shut my opinions down, so be it.

Please point out what any points of yours I've missed and I will address each one of them. :)

Toy

What if this is Weyland's golden age? And after Prometheus, without their king the kingdom enters decline...  You know what happens after the Golden Age of myth?  We lose paradise, things get less perfect.  What if the Weyland-Yutani merge is the only way these two companies can almost remain leading edge in space without the genius of Weyland, or even possibly begin to understand what just happened to their joint venture. 

RICH-ENGLAND

RICH-ENGLAND

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Mar 22, 2012, 12:45:05 PM
Rich, we get it. You've made it up in your mind that Ridley Scott has sold himself out to the gaming crowd. Okay, its absolutely unprovable, but so be it. Think what you'd like.

Again, Ridley Scott said that they even thought about the shoelaces of the characters. That's enough for me. If you want to continue to choose to go apeshit over the peripheral aspects of this film, please, be my guest. You are not beholden to me, nor I to you. I'm interested in STORY, first and foremost. If the story is phenomenal, great, if it ends up being shit, then that would be unfortunate. For now, I'm more the pleasantly surprised by most of everything I've seen. Maybe the tech is different but the tone is pitch perfect. It looks and Feels like A L I E N.

Lastly, a 'gamer' and people who casually play video games are two different beasts. I know a lot of people who play video games, but I only know ONE true gamer, some one who lives and breathes the culture. Those are two separate ideas. The Matrix films pandered completely to gamers and the rich and eccentric gaming community and I see Zero matrix-esque musings in the look of Prometheus. I'm actually a pop culture major, surprise surprise (not that it makes me an expert) but if you're going to assert the opinion that Ridley Scott is pandering to the gaming community with the art direction and character design of Prometheus, you have to back that up, or just be proven wrong. The Matrix films, eXtisenze, the Resident Evil films (etc,..) those are films designed around a niche or a community. One character with a mohawk and some facial/neck tattoos have more in common with blue collar deployed service members then the gaming community. By that theory the prisoners of Fiorina 161 are also fashioned around the gaming community. Also, when it comes to art direction, design, and costume design, often times the people in these roles are quite a bit older and draw their inspiration from many many different aspects of plausible future aesthetics.

in answer to your added part, i know hundreds of gamers which spend most their spare time on games, and mostly in my age group...

and in reply to the part about blue collar deployed servicemen, i had a fair few friends in the royal marines and other military branches that fought in afghanistan/iraq/northern ireland, some of those went on to wrok for a company called aegis  as security/mercenaries back in iraq, ive never seen a single one with a mohawk, one of them was killed by an ied and there were hundreds of marines/servicemen at the funeral, didnt see a single one looking like fifield but as i posted in the other thread, i can and did post picture upon picture of mohawked video game soldiers/mercenaries.....

thanks

rich

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Mar 22, 2012, 01:15:32 PM
"and yes, scott made a conscious decision over the design yes i get it, he made a conscious decision to make it more futuristic to appeal modern sci fi/gaming demographic of 18 to 30s...as it has to make a lot of money to cover its budget and make a profit"

Scott made a conscious decision to make the tech of the film more advance. The 'to appeal to the scifi gaming demographic' is a bit that you're presupposing. I by no means think Ridley Scott is a god. He's made some stinkers and I've been critical of him in the past. Your articulation only tries to shut my opinions down, so be it.

Please point out what any points of yours I've missed and I will address each one of them. :)

well please explain why hes made the decision to make it more high tech? theres no other reason for it but to appeal to the modern generation, or are you telling me that someone of scotts calibre cant possibly make a movie that sticks to established canon without a very good reason?... this movie has a huge budget, alien movies in general do not make big money in the realms of what this needs to make, and to do that it must appeal to the most important demographic of 18 to 30s and if you dont think that then youre crazy, if you look at any fox sci fi tv show and its ratings, they specifically need to appeal to that demographic and shows get canned when they dont to which fringe and alcatraz will be next on the long list of fox cancellations... fox take that very seriously indeed and may well have had an influence, notice how quickly scott moves on from that with no explanation other than it was a conscious decision? because he probably doesnt want to explain the real reasons as he would get a backlash for it if he admitted to it.

my articulations are not aimed at shutting down your opinions at all, again thats more the other way round, again i posted in a thread made specifically made for griping just for the sake of conversation and you jumped all over it....

and as for you not answering things and addressing points, theres been plenty, but i cba to go back and read all of it, but you could at least explain your r rating comment and how that proves my theory wrong? i think i already know the answer but lets see if youre going to be honest....

also address what ive said about the tech in my previous posts in this thread and give me a real reason why its more futuristic over things set hundreds of years after, and please without made up retcon reasons for why you think it can fit?/.

thanks

rich

ThisBethesdaSea

1. Why is it more high tech? - Ridley Scott "it was a conscious decision" Damon Lindelof "The Nostromo was a mining ship with considerably lower tech" their answers not mine. I'm answering with answers that are fact, not my opinion. My 'opinion' doesn't mean shit. I like to deal in only what's been said and not presupposition or presumption.

2. My R rated commented. I was presumptuous and wrong about that and will freely admit to it as I don't know everything ;)

icedog97

icedog97

I think it's tough to argue against a lot of what Rich is saying.

Look at the two trailers (US and UK) and you get an idea of how much different the US audience is...and you can clearly see how they aimed the US trailer at the Avatar crowd.

That said...

I understand this dynamic and although I am not crazy about the tech in Prometheus (when compared to Alien), I am not one that gets too caught up in the canon argument when it comes to technology used in films. So long as some kind of reasonable explanation exists within the story, I will accept it.

My case in point is Star Trek (2009) vs TOS. I know many people hated that the 2009 version did not embrace the 60's again...but to me, the movie was entertaining and allowed for more Star Trek movies. I prefer this over the alternative (no ST movies).

It's 2012. Times change, people change and...movies change.

Embrace the change!!!  ;)

Not trying to deny anybody's right to disagree and I don't think there is a RIGHT answer here. I just happen to think accepting some of those things that are not in your (my) control, will allow you (me) to have a CHANCE at finding this film entertaining/enjoyable.

Who knows...June 9th I might regret every word I've written...but I feel at least I am giving myself a chance to watch this movie without too many strings attached to the past.   

RICH-ENGLAND

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Mar 22, 2012, 02:30:28 PM
1. Why is it more high tech? - Ridley Scott "it was a conscious decision" Damon Lindelof "The Nostromo was a mining ship with considerably lower tech" their answers not mine. I'm answering with answers that are fact, not my opinion. My 'opinion' doesn't mean shit. I like to deal in only what's been said and not presupposition or presumption.

2. My R rated commented. I was presumptuous and wrong about that and will freely admit to it as I don't know everything ;)

1) ive already pointed out reasons why its more high tech, and come on mate, surely you can see it, and yes lindeloff did answer with that which is basically an excuse retcon to deal with the fact it is far more high tech which he had to think about.

but in reality, the floating screens, touch screens, flashy computer graphics on displays in the ship, the auto med bed and flashy touch screen stuff on cryotubes are far more high tech than anything seen in any of thye other alien films, aliens is set a whole 87 years after prometheus and alien resurrection something like 287 years later yet prometheus looks far higher tech in regards to screens, computers, med bed.

now seriously, can you give me a real honest reason why it has been done and NOT a retconned excuse/explanation to make it fit......

2) exactly what i thought, and again i mean no offence as i honestly like you, BUT, you take everything personally as you are such a huge fan and are typing things without thinking or knowing just because you dont like them or dont want them to be true. you made that comment as you thought gaming was a small niche market for children whens its the exact opposite which in turn, your knowledge of the gaming industry and train of thought has influenced you on this matter, the marketting budget alone for games like modern warfare 3 and battlefield 3 is over $100 million, and those are games with an 18/R rating... that amount of money is more than a lot of movie budgets which just goes to show how big these things are these days.

i personally have been a gamer since i was a child, ive been brought up on it just as i was with alien/star wars movies etc, it is huge, and seriously, most people game these days, and a lot of people that work on movies also work on games too which in turn they take influences from each other, again i say i actually like the designs (aprt from fifiield) but my little gripe is they just dont match up to the rest, again, i understand why, its a decision that has to be made, were not in the 70s now, and 70s video screens and computer graphics are not going to appeal to the mass market of people which this movie is aimed at which are needed to make money, its no good for them to just try and appeal to the hardcore alien fans with a huge budget movie, which i also think is one of the reasons theyve tried to distance prometheus as a prequel.

thanks

rich

Plokoon111

Rich. Let me ask you, do you know that flat screens and other technology that is being used in Prometheus wasn't available in the late 70's? 

And if they did have that technology I know that Ridley would of used it in Alien. But the fact of the matter is, it wasn't available.

Why use something that there is no point to use, other then canon details. 

RICH-ENGLAND

RICH-ENGLAND

Quote from: Plokoon111 on Mar 22, 2012, 03:59:23 PM
Rich. Let me ask you, do you know that flat screens and other technology that is being used in Prometheus wasn't available in the late 70's? 

And if they did have that technology I know that Ridley would of used it in Alien. But the fact of the matter is, it wasn't available.

Why use something that there is no point to use, other then canon details.

i do know that, which is exactly part of my point, and which is addressed in my posts, did you read them properly?.......

flashy computer graphics were available to feature such things in alien resurrection, did they do that? er nope, why not? er because they stuck to canon and the previous look, would that work nowadays? probably not as people are used to seeing things like it every day in other sci fi movies and video games hence the need to keep up with modern tech and appeal to mass market to make big money.....

thanks

rich

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed