The Official PROMETHEUS Griping Thread!

Started by Cvalda, Mar 19, 2012, 09:13:18 PM

Author
The Official PROMETHEUS Griping Thread! (Read 68,573 times)

First Blood

Quote from: Plokoon111 on Mar 19, 2012, 10:13:01 PM
Well the part about saying "Well the originals didn't have fancy screens and had pc monitors." Well actually they didn't have the ability to use flat screens. I'm sure if that was available back then, then films would of used it.

I don't take a real issue with that. I think the ugly screens and PC monitors goes well with the 'truckers in space' allegory in Alien. Since it's highly likely and pretty much confirmed that Weyland is indeed riding along with the Prometheus crew, perhaps he's funding the trip. Ahhhh, this is starting to sound like AVP. *gag*

ThisBethesdaSea

To each their own, absolutely,  but griping about seconds of footage...really? Seriously? This is what can kill a film....ala JoHn Carter.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: First Blood on Mar 19, 2012, 10:17:08 PM
Ahhhh, this is starting to sound like AVP. *gag*
Except this will be good. ;)

I hope...

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Mar 19, 2012, 10:19:09 PM
To each their own, absolutely,  but griping about seconds of footage...really? Seriously? This is what can kill a film....ala JoHn Carter.
Oh, puh-leez. John Carter was dead the moment it was greenlit. Horrible premise for a movie in this day and age, and completely without any appeal to a wider audience to justify its hideously inflated budget.

Also, most of us aren't saying we think the film is going to be bad in any way--there's just some things we don't like or are nervous about. If you think everything to do with Prometheus looks OMG AMAZING that's fine, but this isn't the thread for you.

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Well, every time I have something to say about this movie, it never seems to be good. But I do like Noomi Rapace though. I just don't really think this film is one I'm looking for a sequel to and the way it puts the Betty Hill starmap stars on those ancient images looks ridiculous. The less I say about the way they butchered the sarcophagus lid of Pakal Votan the better to put those stars in a completely Non-Mayan way, it's virtually sacriligious, probably the same is to be said with the other images, they're trying to make the Ancient Aliens series look like intelligent stuff by giving us a dumber version of the material.

I appreciate that people think about the Ancient Astronaut theory and ask questions about it, but I think Dan O'Bannon dealt with it in a subtler way in the original Alien script. I don't think that turning subtext into text here works very well. I hope that the film has something in it that makes all that I've seen in the trailer so far and want to criticise, not much of an issue. I think the film is telling me that it's hard to make a film in Hollywood these days.

I wish that Ridley Scott worked with a better writer for this Prometheus movie. . I don't want to start ranting off about Damon Lindelof.

AmazSpiderMan1

Quote from: First Blood on Mar 19, 2012, 10:09:09 PM
Quote from: AmazSpiderMan1 on Mar 19, 2012, 10:01:41 PM
I don't want to walk out of the theater going, "OH SNAP! WE were the SPACE JOCKEYS!"

Yeah, I feel ya on that one. But it could be worst. Humans could have secretly knelt at the feet of Predators for hundreds of years.

Oh wait...

And I hated it in that movie too, but at least I can rationalize it by saying that the Predator's influence over humanity was very limited to building pyramids and such. It wasn't like they influenced all of mankind, just isolated spots. Still a pretty dumb idea. That's coming from a hack like Paul W.S. Anderson too. Ridley Scott is better than that. How is it that every Alien species, including Transformers, have visited Earth and helped us evolve in some way? CHRIST.

RagingDragon

Sorry I've been avoiding all Prometheus plagues like the thread, but I wanted to say two things.  One of them is actually a gripe.

Gripe - Will there be any threads for the people who don't know everything about the film months before it's release? :laugh:  I'd really like to talk to some normal folks.

Praise - Good job with spoiler tags and all that shit, I haven't really had anything, well... spoiled.  Just wanted to praise since lots of people bitch about using spoiler tags but no one says thanks.

ThisBethesdaSea

I'd like to think that there's a larger context for what's happening with that Jockey that appears small. If that suit is biological, I can imagine what were seeing is it IN PROCESS? I just deplore anything being criticized 1. Without having seen the film and 2. Without ANY kind of contextualization.

But...gripe on, it's amusing. ;) :)

josh_axey

The only thing I want to Lambert about, is the Space Tapir.

I am so nervous about how that is going to look finished on the big screen, and how it will age when I watch it again some years from now on my not-so-big screen.

Nothing against the content as I'm sure there will be sensible reasoning for whatever that short guy is, but the effect from what we have seen is underwhelming :-\.

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Mar 19, 2012, 10:19:09 PM

Well, there's a sense of familiarity with this franchise. It doesn't take rocket science, to see that the trailers are alluding to the Alien franchise even to the casual moviegoer who isn't a fan of this franchise. John Carter, perhaps was marketed and came off as an Avatar knockoff – military man on an alien planet going native. When in fact, the real tragedy was that Carter has been around for at least 100 years or more and inspired Avatar – not the other way around.

Cvalda

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 19, 2012, 10:25:45 PM
Sorry I've been avoiding all Prometheus plagues like the thread, but I wanted to say two things.
Tee hee. :P

Quote from: josh_axey on Mar 19, 2012, 10:26:35 PM
The only thing I want to Lambert about, is the Space Tapir.
I loooove that Space Tapir has caught on. :D Who coined that--wmmvrrvrrmm, was it you?

echobbase79

Quote from: Plokoon111 on Mar 19, 2012, 10:13:01 PM
Well the part about saying "Well the originals didn't have fancy screens and had pc monitors." Well actually they didn't have the ability to use flat screens. I'm sure if that was available back then, then films would of used it.

I don't take a real issue with that. I think the ugly screens and PC monitors goes well with the 'truckers in space' allegory in Alien. Since it's highly likely and pretty much confirmed that Weyland is indeed riding along with the Prometheus crew, perhaps he's funding the trip. Ahhhh, this is starting to sound like AVP. *gag*

LOL! That's what I find kind of funny about the whole thing. They want to erase the AvP universe cannon (which is fine by me) but there are elements that are VERY SIMILAR in both stories. I guess they've never watched the first one.  :D

aliennaire

aliennaire

Quote from: Eva on Mar 19, 2012, 09:28:28 PM
Quote from: OmegaZilla on Mar 19, 2012, 09:26:12 PM
Quote from: Eva on Mar 19, 2012, 09:24:54 PM
/ Doc Brown / ......
Great Ridley Scott!

1.21 gigawatts of lol  :D
I'm afraid you're stuck in 1955!  ;D

My greatest concern about this film is caused by a sneaking feeling, that it would turn out to be very pretencious with a very little of new ideas to add to what we already know. Also I think I would be disappointed if started as a sci fi film, Prometheus would end up preaching some religious stuff in the end. And overshadowing original Alien, in terms of cheapening the latter from making SJ a stupid crewmember, ensnared by the suit.
Am I too fussy?

First Blood

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 19, 2012, 10:19:27 PM
Ahhhh, this is starting to sound like AVP. *gag*
Except this will be good. ;)

I hope...

Same here. :'(

AmazSpiderMan1

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Mar 19, 2012, 10:25:56 PM
I'd like to think that there's a larger context for what's happening with that Jockey that appears small. If that suit is biological, I can imagine what were seeing is it IN PROCESS? I just deplore anything being criticized 1. Without having seen the film and 2. Without ANY kind of contextualization.

But...gripe on, it's amusing. ;) :)

It's a natural thing to not trust Hollywood. Even when Ridley Scott is attached, we've been burned before. Bad. It's scary to see someone doing a prequel to one of your favorite films of all time, that influenced your life in some way and your taste. There is so many things that can go wrong, either purposely or accidentally. Unlike sequels that, for the most part, leave the original film alone and just progress the story, prequels are going back and giving us a different perception on something that already exists. I feel the griping is justified. We just don't want to be screwed over.

Cvalda

Maybe Ridley Scott pulled a George Lucas and made the Jockey helmet look like a tapir head as a stupid, misguided "homage" to 2001! Maybe there no longer is a hose! :laugh: :laugh:

Quote from: AmazSpiderMan1 on Mar 19, 2012, 10:31:37 PM
It's a natural thing to not trust Hollywood. Even when Ridley Scott is attached, we've been burned before. Bad. It's scary to see someone doing a prequel to one of your favorite films of all time, that influenced your life in some way and your taste. There is so many things that can go wrong, either purposely or accidentally. Unlike sequels that, for the most part, leave the original film alone and just progress the story, prequels are going back and giving us a different perception on something that already exists. I feel the griping is justified. We just don't want to be screwed over.
^ VERY well said!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed