Theory about why Scar is so popular

Started by shadowedge, Mar 14, 2012, 12:16:12 AM

Author
Theory about why Scar is so popular (Read 29,452 times)

shadowedge

I admit that AVP was not the best movie. To me it was just OK. Not the best by any means, but not a total train wreck either.

That said Scar seems to have a ton of fans, especially female ones. It has to be something besides his role as an antihero.

For a Predator his physique was bulkier than all of the rest that we have seen. He had a bodybuilders body as opposed to Anytime and Pussyface's boxer body. Wolf had a gymnast's body so he was leaner than all of the rest.

Last I heard, bodybuilders were the idealized male power fantasy, but many (but not all) women prefer men to be toned and strong, but not to the degree that bodybuilders are. They like power and agility more than straight up brute strength. Think a swimmer, boxer, or gymnast. So it is probably not because of his body type. If you look at how he moves it is kind of slow. He actually ran slower than Lex did, despite being 7.5 feet tall.

What could it be then?

I think that it has do do with two things:

1. His face. He had more than two upper teeth and that gives a more "human" mouth. Also his face was very expressive. He could display more emotion and subtle facial movements than the other Predators from the movies due to his new mouth and a more modern anamatronic skeleton underneath the mask, despite his skin looking more rubbery and fake than the Winston versions.

2. He used a lot of body language. Take the scene where he used sign language to show Lex that he just activated a bomb. That scene humanized him, and even though it was "just" sign language it made him more than just an monster. Anytime and Pussyface actually talked, but that sign language scene made it clear that Scar could convey ideas, despite never saying a word of English.

The other scene was where he made Lex that Alien shield and spear. It showed him actually making it, and then showing Lex that acid won't harm the her by dripping acid on the shield and then the floor.

In addition to conveying ideas this scene also showed the Predator actually improvising and designing something rather than it already being on him. None of the other films show the Predators doing this. They already have their weapons on them.

What do you think? Is my analysis accurate? Have anything to add? Anything you disagree with?

SM

SM

I think it's just cos some really odd chicks want to f**k a Predator, and the relationship with Lex is the closest it's going to get to this Twilight-esque fantasy, on film.

You may have a point with the physique.  And the fact his chin looks like a freshly shorn scrotum.  Chick dig freshly shorn scrotums.

(Darkness does not approve of this message)

RagingDragon

:laugh:

I agree with your points about him being humanized, but in this case that means turned into a "good guy."

The Predators in the Predator films were easily just as smart as humans, and could communicate in a complex manner.  The first time Anytime flashes Mac with those eyes, you know that this creature isn't just some animal that's chasing you around.

But SM is probably right, ya know. ;D

I would really prefer relations with an Alien, despite the obvious reversal of the Alien and Predator mouth situation going on there...

PsyKore

I think it's just because he looks "prettier" than the other Predators we've seen. He has shiny silver armor, long flowing dreads.... yeah, um, seriously, man the f**k up, Scar!

CyberDemon13

Don't forget about his purty eyes!

Yuck! :-X

AliceApocalypse

You forgot the long dreads (for us 80's people) lol.

Ok, a theory why Scar is popular with those less familiar with the franchise:
He killed some Xeno's, he got to hunt with a hot a chick, the jump & spin at the end, many young-ones might not be familiar with P1 or P2 to compare.

A theory why Scar might be popular with those who are familiar with the franchise:
They might be fans of the EU which the movie was based, Predators killing Xeno's, general fans of anything Predator/Alien, a hot chick at his side, Weyland reference, he died at the end.

One fangirl's perspective:
Yes, his design was hot but that's as far as that goes.  He kicked @ss, he let the girl live, that aerial assault at the end was fun to watch.  I'm a fan of the EU and didn't have a problem with the design as a reflection of the stories I'm familiar with.  The Weyland reference was appreciated too.  Nothing special, sorry.

RagingDragon

^Nice.

You guys must have drunk goggles on. :laugh:  Scar was the most hideously ugly Predator face ever made!

That's one homage I would've enjoyed.  Scar takes off mask, Lex says "you're one ugly motherf**ker."

shadowedge

That was a pretty sweet jump. He totally ninja'd the queen.

chupacabras acheronsis

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 14, 2012, 04:48:44 PM
You guys must have drunk goggles on. :laugh:  Scar was the most hideously ugly Predator face ever made!

this a trillion billion times plus one.

even Mr. Black was more appealing. Scar was just so... ugh. he had none of the lively features of the other predators, he was all chubby and moved terribly, his face was floppy and had a terrible texture and color, his f**king chin was huge, his mandibles looked like he suffered diabetes, his hair flowed horribly and looked like styrofoam, and he had no swag.

seriously, i can't even imagine how anyone would find him visually pleasing. at least Wolf looked like he meant business even if he looked like a japanese Samurai mask a little.

Predator Queen

I like him for his personality.  His face looks like he got hit with a baseball bat a lot as a child.

Prime113

Quote from: Predator Queen on Mar 15, 2012, 02:39:38 AM
I like him for his personality. 

That's sad in amongst itself. We aren't suppose to like-like these creatures for their personality.

Terx2

Terx2

Scar looks more human than any of the other predators and has longer dreadlocks. He died defending lex from the alien queen. He is a quick thinker that adapts to the situation and so on.

Stalker

Quote from: SM on Mar 14, 2012, 12:23:54 AM
I think it's just cos some really odd chicks want to f**k a Predator, and the relationship with Lex is the closest it's going to get to this Twilight-esque fantasy, on film.

Yeah those were my thoughts too.

God it sickens me how much of a pathetic bitch Scar was compared to P1 & P2.

AliceApocalypse

Quote from: Stalker on Mar 15, 2012, 10:20:49 AM

God it sickens me how much of a pathetic bitch Scar was compared to P1 & P2.

Really?  Anytime was outsmarted by a meathead & City Hunter got his guts grinded by an old man.  Scar died fighting an Alien queen, alone.  Not too shabby in my humble opinion.

Prime113

I think by "pathetic bitch" he meant that Scar was...nice and saved humans, and cared about Lex.

And, Dutch wasn't just some meathead. He was a Major, therefore, he had to graduate from collage, then officers school, then be absolutely amazing at what he does.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed