The AVP vs. Prometheus Canon Debate, and all canon debates really

Started by Peakius Baragonius, Mar 01, 2012, 09:44:32 PM

Will fans ever make peace?

No, whoever wins, we lose
21 (46.7%)
Yes! I was totally wrong about Alien/Aliens/Alien3/Predator 2/AVP/Predators being a bad film!
4 (8.9%)
Perhaps someday
7 (15.6%)
Forget this poll, enough with the god-forsaken canon rant threads already!!! :-)
22 (48.9%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author
The AVP vs. Prometheus Canon Debate, and all canon debates really (Read 35,503 times)

Nero the Jackal

And the canon debate turned argument is started  :laugh: 

SM

Nearly made it to page 2 without it starting this time.

Nero the Jackal

yep but it was inevitable.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: QuantumSheep on Mar 05, 2012, 02:46:27 AM
I just think of it this way: there are alternate realities, so everything's canon...somehow.

This.

-Rakai'Thwei

Nero the Jackal

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 05, 2012, 03:36:04 AM
Quote from: QuantumSheep on Mar 05, 2012, 02:46:27 AM
I just think of it this way: there are alternate realities, so everything's canon...somehow.

This.

-Rakai'Thwei

Wrong, film's canon first, then comics if they fit in (but i don't tAke as canon, personally view only)

SM

There is no "wrong".

RakaiThwei

Nero the Jackal

Nero the Jackal

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 05, 2012, 03:52:16 AM
Quote from: SM on Mar 05, 2012, 03:47:12 AM
There is no "wrong".

Also this.

-Rakai'Thwei
bingo and its our views and opinions currently.

RakaiThwei

I already told you how I view canon and continuity. Of course I base my outlook from various sources, ranging from the story, in depth interviews and statements from writers, directors and producers, as well as in-universe connections.

Basically, story and Word of God is how I go through my outlook.

I mean there are a lot of people out there that say that PREDATORS is in fact Predator 3 but I often disagree with them by posting up links with Rodriguez's word refuting that claim (which was made by Antal), as well as dates when statements were made, and specific web chats as well, but all of that would get me nowhere and really, it's futile.

Regarding Prometheus, well, it's tricky because the movie isn't even out yet. So it's a wait and see situation.

Regarding the EU, I count the EU depending IF certain stories manage to somehow tie in nicely with the films, and this also counts the games as well. Some of the novels, comics, and games I don't count because they are extremely outlandish and are crossovers, or simply don't follow lore (i.e. AvP Arcade).

-Rakai'Thwei

Peakius Baragonius

Quote from: SM on Mar 05, 2012, 02:51:21 AM

Darn it!  :-\

;)

HybridNewborn

Quote from: Peakius Baragonius on Mar 05, 2012, 05:28:12 AM
Quote from: SM on Mar 05, 2012, 02:51:21 AM

Darn it!  :-\

;)

Let's try to make it to page 3 next time guys. ;)

Nero the Jackal

Quote from: SM on Mar 05, 2012, 03:47:12 AM
There is no "wrong".

Don't know why i said wrong (must have been drunker than i thought) since an alternate reality would mean the films are separate from the E.U so i would agree there if it was true. Its should currently be left to people's opinions since there is no strong proof either way of its status and all this is just petrol to fire.

predxeno

I still consider AVP to be canon in the Prometheus timeline.  For those people who say that there is no way that humans could have technologically evolved space travel by the time the movie takes place, a lot of this is easily explained away with the Predator technology acquired by the humans in AVPR.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 06, 2012, 07:52:56 PM
I still consider AVP to be canon in the Prometheus timeline.  For those people who say that there is no way that humans could have technologically evolved space travel by the time the movie takes place, a lot of this is easily explained away with the Predator technology acquired by the humans in AVPR.

Keep on talking...keep on talking...

RagingDragon

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 06, 2012, 07:52:56 PM
Lol this thread is mostly full of "oh my god, there's going to be a flame war."

Easily explained away?  The reverse-engineering of a single energy weapon from an alien race can easily explain away FTL travel and/or cryotubes almost a century in the future?

That in no way makes it easy to explain, much less explain away.

As for the OP, I'm curious why people don't exclude things from canon that contradict the movie-established storyline.  It's a simple thing to do, and helps the story maintain maturity as well as a better continuity.  You have to start somewhere, why not start with the way canon has been formed and decided from movie-source material for years?

Comics, toys, and video games that are film-related have usually been marketing or extensions, but never given the weight of a film unless specifically stated so by the controlling authority.  This is definitely the exception instead of the rule.

This should be obvious, but people have to make things more complicated by denying this obvious canon tool and trying to fit things that don't, and won't, fit.

It's futile, and will lead to frustration or one jacked-up and inconsistent storyline.  I'll take a reduced canon that goes by the great movies I love and makes more sense than trying to fit in AvP toothpaste and lunchboxes just because Fox made a few horrible obvious cash-cow movies that didn't pay attention to the originals they stole from.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed