I really appreciate the secretiveness behind Prometheus's production

Started by Salt The Fries, Feb 27, 2012, 10:39:35 PM

Author
I really appreciate the secretiveness behind Prometheus's production (Read 3,144 times)

Salt The Fries

When you really think about it much of Alien's success was the element of surprise. The creatures themselves, the Derelict, Ripley's character surviving in the end despite Weaver's not having top-bill, Ash's hidden agenda and sudden revelation. If you are a new viewer seeing Alien for the first time much of the surprise is going to be spoiled as you'd probably be aware that Ripley exists in other Alien movies...So Ridley's and co stance is perfectly understandable. I just want Prometheus to find new creative ways to both expand the universe in a meaningful, deep and believable way and to shock and confront the audiences as much as Alien did in 1979. Granted, I'm perfectly aware it's going to be near-impossible right now, just like it'd be impossible to recreate psychedelic music craze in mid-to-late 1960s, even if the music can go far deeper than that, but there were certain socio-political circumstances that made it possible to be a mainstream revolution back then that wouldn't be possible right now. So, it's the same thing with Prometheus. But anyway it's really important for certain key elements to remain hidden and find a proper balance to inform us about something and then--at the same time--not tell/show us too much. And last but not least, I don't mind as least links to ALIEN as it's humanly possible as long as all the new stuff it introduces is going to be equally expressive/impressive/effective.

Peace.

predxeno

You made this thread to be the antithesis of my other thread, didn't you? ;)

Salt The Fries

Lol, no, I didn't even see your thread :D I try to avoid this section now as much as possible. Any similarities are purely coincidental :D

bioweapon

have the same feeling. but is addictive to came to this site or the alienprequel or the official site, or looking and looking for that damn weyland ad...i try not to be here a month before premiere.

LarsVader

LarsVader

There is a difference between secrecy and an absence of news.
It's getting really slow and in my opinion it should go faster.

Yes I am impatient towards Prometheus, but I love a good secrecy.
Slow buildup, maybe a viral or just a mysterius ad campaign or a sloooooowly changing website, something like the Predator-glyph countdown before AVP. Something small that makes people come and check back once in a while.
But there is nothing.

The "official" websites are a amatourish mess, the twitter and facebook things haven't been updated in over a month, international informations are impossible to find, articles are sparce and don't get mentioned in the official channels, not even many people have heard of it yet (besides the internet sci-fi geeks) and most still wonder if Ripley will be in it.
I am afraid this movie will be crushed by Spiderman and Batman and Hobbits and whatever.

I know all of this is probably not going to affect the movie by itself and I think that I am going to enjoy it imensely nonetheless.
But Ridley Scott had to fight for the movie at Fox, for the budget, and maybe for the rating.
Fox is hesistand towards Prometheus, and I am afraid that the lack of professionnel marketing will prove them right in the end at the box office.
And in result this will affect possible sequels, the artists working on it and possibly all mature sci-fi projects to come in a negative way.

OhYouWantSomeOfThis

OhYouWantSomeOfThis

Ugh, please don't give your two cents on how you think they should promote the movie. It's not your job and there's a reason for that. It will kick into high-gear come May, don't worry about it. Just fork over your 12 bucks and hush like a good moviegoer.

LarsVader

Quote from: OhYouWantSomeOfThis on Feb 28, 2012, 07:22:22 AM
Ugh, please don't give your two cents on how you think they should promote the movie. It's not your job and there's a reason for that. It will kick into high-gear come May, don't worry about it. Just fork over your 12 bucks and hush like a good moviegoer.

I deeply apologise for sharing my opinion on a message board.
I apologise for even having one.

The wisdom you spread through this message board is unmatched.
Thank you for opening my eyes.

Taking OhYouWantSomeOfThis's advise I recommend to anyone to instantly stop sharing or having opinions and just hush and watch the movie.

Prime113

Quote from: LarsVader on Feb 28, 2012, 07:59:54 AM

I deeply apologise for sharing my opinion on a message board.
I apologise for even having one.

The wisdom you spread through this message board is unmatched.
Thank you for opening my eyes.

Taking OhYouWantSomeOfThis's advise I recommend to anyone to instantly stop sharing or having opinions and just hush and watch the movie.

:laugh: :laugh: You made me lol.

Ohyouwantsomeofthis, this website would be the shittest thing ever if members weren't aloud to share their opinions. So, I advise YOU to go to another site.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: OhYouWantSomeOfThis on Feb 28, 2012, 07:22:22 AMUgh, please don't give your two cents on how you think they should promote the movie. It's not your job and there's a reason for that. It will kick into high-gear come May, don't worry about it. Just fork over your 12 bucks and hush like a good moviegoer.

What an asshole... I mean, IMHO.

-Chris

Virgil

Quote from: LarsVader on Feb 27, 2012, 11:44:26 PM
There is a difference between secrecy and an absence of news.
It's getting really slow and in my opinion it should go faster.

This.

ThisBethesdaSea

Spaihts just tweeted me back saying he's seen the film....and he says it redefines Science Fiction yet again....

Wobblyboddle77

Leave the guy alone, he's entitled to have his say as much as you have, no need to use that tone with him, just be polite like we all are on here. If he's out've order the mods will intervene, it's what they're here for.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed