What if Holloway + Shaw create a new lifeform?

Started by 180924609, Feb 03, 2012, 12:56:37 PM

Author
What if Holloway + Shaw create a new lifeform? (Read 3,832 times)

I think sex will be an important theme in this movie, it is after all about the creation of life. What if Shaw and Holloway inadvertantly 'create' a new lifeform?

In the trailer we see Holloway exposed to the acid / concentrated-terraforming-liquid. His face looks blotchy but not exactly mutilated so perhaps he may recover from this but his body has absorbed the life generating liquid, mutating his DNA.

Then, later Holloway and Shaw (noomi) have a scene where they 'get it on'. In the leaked trailer we see what appears to be a 'pregnant' Shaw. Also in the actual trailer we see her in underwear covered in dark blotches suddenly appear in the med-lab and she falls to her knees. Maybe she has just given birth after an accelerated pregnancy to something totally new and not quite human...

Highland

Good theory, but unlikely that they go banging each other after being exposed to some Alien DNA.

It's possible that she's already preggers when she starts the mission. It would help explain some of the time issues.

Xenomorphine

That would mean copying a (really poor) storyline out of 'Star Trek: Voyager'.

ThisBethesdaSea

So there's a similar idea in ST Voyager...it doesn't mean that the same theme couldn't be re-explored again to better effect?  Movies and stories have been around a long long time so we're bound to find similarities at some point or another. 

The pregnancy thing may not quite be what happens...I think maybe Shaw is infested with some kind of alien life form as opposed to a formal pregnancy?

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

This is basically the same theory, just simplified, that I came up with not too long ago...

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=41814.0

... Ever since I posted that theory, there's been an influx of people posting the same thing as though it was their original concept.  Maybe it's just a case of "great minds think alike" but I do find it quite coincidental that these posts only started to crop up after I'd posted my theory!  I suspect that someone has stolen my theory and posted it up on IMDB or something.

Either way, it's probably best to check the boards for similar topics before posting in the future, hmm?

azrael55

Quote from: St_Eddie on Feb 04, 2012, 12:09:48 PM
This is basically the same theory, just simplified, that I came up with not too long ago...

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=41814.0

... Ever since I posted that theory, there's been an influx of people posting the same thing as though it was their original concept.  Maybe it's just a case of "great minds think alike" but I do find it quite coincidental that these posts only started to crop up after I'd posted my theory!  I suspect that someone has stolen my theory and posted it up on IMDB or something.

ego much?

Either way, it's probably best to check the boards for similar topics before posting in the future, hmm?

St_Eddie

Quote from: azrael55 on Feb 04, 2012, 01:06:39 PM
ego much?

Perhaps.  I might be right though; it is a FACT that there's been a lot of people spouting the same theory ever since I originally posted it.  If it makes me an egotistical douche to point out a factual observation, then so be it.  I just want credit where credit's due.

Xenomorphine

Not only would it be an imitation of the poor 'Voyager' story, there'd really be no... Point to it. Certainly none which reflects the director's contention that what we're going to see will supposedly be a lot more disturbing than anything in 'Alien'.

Some guy mutating into a Space Jockey and raping someone wouldn't be even close to that. I could even see it bordering close to unintentional sci-fi comedy, if anything.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Feb 04, 2012, 03:53:19 PM
Some guy mutating into a Space Jockey and raping someone wouldn't be even close to that. I could even see it bordering close to unintentional sci-fi comedy, if anything.

I'd argue that a lot of the concepts in Blade Runner and Alien could have come across as an unintentional sci-fi comedy if it weren't for the fact that they were directed by Ridley Scott.

A marching teddy bear and a midget with a nose the size of an erect penis!  Both were in Blade Runner and both could have had the audience rolling in the isles with laughter... if Blade Runner hadn't been directed by Ridley Scott.  Under his masterful direction, both were creepy.

As for Alien; a man in a suit could have looked ridiculous if it had been directed by a lesser filmmaker.  Don't believe me?  Go watch AVP:R!

The key lies within the execution.

ThisBethesdaSea

Amen St. Eddie. It's about class and the ability of the filmmaker in charge of the project to accurately and correctly portray the story. There many many great stories that were executed poorly.

The film A.I. features a walking talking Teddy Bear called 'Teddy' and without Spielberg behind the camera it could have been worse then laughable and in fact it was pretty flawless.

It's Ridley Scott...have a bit of faith for Christ's sakes! ;)

eyesofthedemon

I'm not doubting Ridleys's skill in shrouding the Alien in Darkness in ALIEN (which was a huge plus imo),it was extremely well done,but i also think it needed to be done,much in the same way Spielberg was forced to keep the Shark in Jaws off camera for 80% of the film due to a bit of a dodgy effect,in that case "Bruce" the Shark,in this case a man in a suit .
I think back in the late 70's/early 80's practical effects had limits which in turn meant decisions on how much to show of the creature/effect had to be made,so was it Spielbergs's and Ridley's Genius,or decisions imposed on them?

I've often wondered this,but the fact Ridley has experienced that era of movie making can only help his judgement in this one,seeing the huge sets employed for Prometheus gives me hope!

Xenomorphine

I don't care if it's directed by a resurrected Hitchcock - nobody can make a mutant Space Jockey rapist in any way superior to what was in 'Alien'!

Besides which, RS doesn't exactly shit gold... Not every project the guy does is a cinematic masterpiece. I can't even name one I've found genuinely entertaining since 'Gladiator', to be quite honest.

ChrisPachi

The only masterpieces Scott has directed IMHO are his two science fiction outings. Let's hope his third is one as well.

Matchstick Men was a great film.

-Chris

St_Eddie

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Feb 06, 2012, 06:06:07 AM
I don't care if it's directed by a resurrected Hitchcock - nobody can make a mutant Space Jockey rapist in any way superior to what was in 'Alien'!

Besides which, RS doesn't exactly shit gold... Not every project the guy does is a cinematic masterpiece. I can't even name one I've found genuinely entertaining since 'Gladiator', to be quite honest.

You're actually rooting on Prometheus being superior to Alien?!  Yeah, good luck with that, you crazy diamond.

Of course no director is infallible but if I have faith in any single filmmaker to come up with a worthy Alien prequel; it's undoubtedly Ridley Scott, whether or not the plot involves a rape scene.  To be honest, I don't understand why you find the potential rape sequence to be so absurd.  You're not imagining Holloway to be physically transformed into an actual Space Jockey are you?!  My plot theory was partially based upon the image of a man (possibly Holloway) sitting on a bed, next to a battered woman, looking ashamed of himself.  The mutation I'm supposing is largely psychological at that point.

Personally I think that it's a pretty scary thought that a loved one's personality could be altered, resulting in them violently raping you and impregnating you with the seed of an alien lifeform.  I can visualise that potential scene in my head and it's produces a very dark and unnerving image.  Why you feel that this material would make for a comedic scene is completely beyond me.  You must consider the rape scene in Deliverance and the maggot birth nightmare sequence in The Fly to be two of the most hilarious moments in the history of cinema!

Xenomorphine

Quote from: St_Eddie on Feb 06, 2012, 08:06:57 AM
You're actually rooting on Prometheus being superior to Alien?!  Yeah, good luck with that, you crazy diamond.

Of course no director is infallible but if I have faith in any single filmmaker to come up with a worthy Alien prequel; it's undoubtedly Ridley Scott, whether or not the plot involves a rape scene.

You're... Basically saying what I've been saying.

QuoteTo be honest, I don't understand why you find the potential rape sequence to be so absurd.  You're not imagining Holloway to be physically transformed into an actual Space Jockey are you?!

You're the one who raised the issue of mutation. :) And the only theory which has been doing the rounds to do with that, is about the possibility of becoming partial or complete Space Jockeys.

QuoteMy plot theory was partially based upon the image of a man (possibly Holloway) sitting on a bed, next to a battered woman, looking ashamed of himself.  The mutation I'm supposing is largely psychological at that point.

QuotePersonally I think that it's a pretty scary thought that a loved one's personality could be altered, resulting in them violently raping you and impregnating you with the seed of an alien lifeform.  I can visualise that potential scene in my head and it's produces a very dark and unnerving image.  Why you feel that this material would make for a comedic scene is completely beyond me.  You must consider the rape scene in Deliverance and the maggot birth nightmare sequence in The Fly to be two of the most hilarious moments in the history of cinema!

Because it's a f**king Space Jockey. :)

The Space Jockey looked a bit disturbing in the first film, because it was a strange and inhuman corpse. Something you wouldn't expect to see on Earth, which had clearly died in pain.

Having them walking about? That's relatively mundane. Having them rape people? That's bordering on the ridiculous, not scary. Horror-wise, they're on the same level as the Newborn and I don't know anyone who found it groping Call's injury or licking Ripley's face to be anything other than B-movie quality. That wouldn't have magically changed if Ridley Scott had been directing it, because the thing looked ridiculous.

The creature we saw doing nothing but suggestively reaching its tail up between Lambert's legs? That looked vicious, predatory and horrific. An dangerous abomination of nature.

It's like comparing a walrus and shark. They both eat fish and could both give you a really bad day if they each had a reason to be angry at you. But if you gave an expert director a camera and told him to make a horror film about both creatures, there is no way the supposed horror flick about a killer walrus would in any way be scary. The shark? That's a completely different story. It's designed to be a killer. There are serious primal psychological facets at play in the concept of putting the view in the perspective of someone being chased by a shark.

Now, that doesn't mean every director will be successful at conveying that, but it's obvious that a good one could. There's next to zero chance, on the other hand, of even the best director in the world making a killer walrus seem like a genuine threat. You can have the most brilliant cinematography and music score in the world and it won't change that. :)

Imagine if 'Alien' or 'Predator' had been made with the original creature designs... You'd have the same actors, lighting, mood and music... Same camera angles. Same film. But if you think the creature would have been anywhere near as iconic, then with all due respect, you're kidding yourself. :)

And yes, that sort of thing is why giving birth to a giant maggot can be portrayed effectively. That's why 'The Fly most certainly was effective, even if one only counts the famous doughnut scene.

Having either a Space Jockey-like or normal-looking dude raping Noomi Rapace? Well, the act would be uncomfortable to watch, but it would be no different to just a mundane cop drama which happens to feature the same crime. It definitely won't be nearly as disturbing as what we saw (and, most importantly, didn't see and just heard) with Lambert.

None of which, of course, would be even the slightest issue if Ridley Scott, himself, hadn't been repeatedly quoted as saying he's going to be raising the bar and presenting us with something which will supposedly out-do the original's threat.

In fact, there's an easy way to test this theory. :) Go and watch 'Splice'. Watch it all the way through to the end. Then go and watch 'Alien'. The former's notorious scene might well feel explicit, but it won't have the unsettling power of Lambert's death.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed